British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Retirement and MM2H (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/)
-   -   Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/retiring-malaysia-malaysia-my-second-home-visa-mm2h-757238/)

bakedbean Mar 3rd 2013 8:51 am

Re: Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

For those that wish to contact MoTour (Ministry of Tourism - MM2H Centre), they have just updated their feedback page (as of March 2013). I note that there is now a pukka email address. Whether it works or not, is another matter.

So... current contact info as below:

Phone | 8.00am - 5.00pm +8GMT**
+603.8891 7424
+603.8891 7428
+603.8891 7432

Fax
+603.8891 7415

For direct inquiry, please email
[email protected]
unquote

** Presumably this is Monday to Friday.

Link below to the government site feedback page, if you want to re-check
http://www.mm2h.gov.my/feedback.php

cheynewalk Mar 6th 2013 8:38 pm

one thing i find a little confusing about the visa ....... after initial conditional approval you have the choice of either depositing 150,000 ringgitt in the bank OR showing 10,000 ringgitt per month income ....... but, haven't you already have had to prove your 10,000/mth in the first place??

the 150,000 in the bank appears superfluous as you've already proven the 10,000/mth income?? ....... am i missing something here??

Davita Mar 6th 2013 9:28 pm

The MYR10,000 per month income qualifies for the conditional approval. To obviate the requirement for the Fixed Deposit method the applicant is to provide further evidence of MYR10,000 per month in a 'Government approved pension plan.'
The interpretation of Gov't approved pension plan has been widely debated on the MM2H forum and some interpretations have been offered by MM2H but, imo, it seems arbitrary and decided on an individual basis.

bakedbean Mar 7th 2013 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Davita (Post 10588294)
imo, it seems arbitrary and decided on an individual basis.

I would agree wholeheartedly with Davita. It seems to be a bit of a grey area. I get the feeling from recent comments on the MM2H forum that they are allowing some pukka pension incomes now, rather than just "government" pensions i.e. army, police, etc.... but this is just my interpretation. If anyone wants to chew over the minute details and interpret themselves, you can read here.

From the official government site:
Upon Approval : Aged 50 years and above

* Can either choose to:
- Open a fixed deposit account of RM150,000.00 ; OR
- Show proof of government approved pension funds of RM10,000
unquote

Clear as mud eh?

bakedbean Mar 7th 2013 6:43 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 10580227)
I note that there is now a pukka email address. Whether it works or not, is another matter.

For direct inquiry, please email
[email protected]
unquote

Again.... information gleaned from the very informative MM2H forum, the above email address has been tried out, and.... guess what.... it doesn't work :(

parker-waterman Mar 8th 2013 12:20 pm

I take it that the Ministry of Tourism doesn't want emails.

bakedbean Mar 8th 2013 12:31 pm

It looks that way, doesn't it :thumbdown:

rusty747 Jun 10th 2013 8:00 pm

Scanned documents sent to the lovely Yvonne at Joystay a couple of days ago. Assuming she says that all is in order then my MM2H app will be formaly submitted in a week or so. Exciting times.

bakedbean Jun 11th 2013 3:47 am

That's brilliant Rusty :thumbup: Do let us know how you get on, won't you.

rusty747 Jun 27th 2013 10:37 am

In KL as I type and just back in my hotel room having had a very productive meeting with Yvonne. All documents checked and deemed to be in order so now we just sit and wait. In the meantime, if anyone is in KL right now and would like to meet over a coffee or beer to discuss anything Malaysia/MM2H related, I am staying in the Renaissance hotel and can get out either tonight or Sunday.

bakedbean Jun 27th 2013 1:40 pm

That's great Rusty....exciting uh? Did Yvonne say how long approval would take?

For others reading this, there's some new email addresses on the MM2H gov site. I'll try and remember to copy and paste on here over the weekend.

rusty747 Jun 30th 2013 2:54 pm

Yvonne said it will depend on whether they want to verify my financial statements with my banks. If they do, it could be 3 months. If not, maybe only one month.

bakedbean Jul 1st 2013 4:27 am

As mentioned previously, there's been a merger of two government ministries and this has resulted in the Ministry of Tourism now being merged with Culture. So MoTour is no more. We now have MoTac.

Current contact info (as at July 1st 2013) on the MM2H government website index page is as follows:

Phone:
+603 8891 7424
+603 8891 7427
+603 8891 7434
+603 8891 7439
Fax |+603 8891 7415

email:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Also....phone number
+603 8891 7462

Whether any of the above phone numbers, email addresses actually work is anybody's guess.

markz Aug 25th 2013 2:10 am

Hello,
For those looking at Malaysia, one must note that Johor has been leaping forward in viable and livable options. from smart apartments to large bungalows at very reasonable prices. The proximity to Singapore is a major plus. Essentially you get access to 2 countries from Johor.

DWJL Sep 1st 2013 2:57 pm

Hi,

Just joined this forum today. I have an interest in living abroad for a period of time once we retire (probably in the next 18 months).

We have visited a number of countries in recent years in SE Asia and was in Malaysia last Easter. We really liked Malaysia and particularly the 5 days we spent in George Town, Penang.

I have looked into the MM2H programme and can see it has benefits, however, there is one potential benefit I would like clarification on.

Can anyone tell me how the UK taxation rules work with regard to a UK occupational pension ( both my wife and I will have a UK teacher's pension). I understand that under the MM2H this will be tax free in Malaysia but will it be liable to tax in the UK?