British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Retirement and MM2H (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/)
-   -   Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/retiring-malaysia-malaysia-my-second-home-visa-mm2h-757238/)

Teribus1 Aug 3rd 2012 10:19 am

Re: Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Yes 500,000 is still the minimum in Melaka and i suspect will not change in the immediate future.

bakedbean Aug 3rd 2012 2:05 pm

Ah OK thanks. I thought it was all going up to 1 million minimum around Malaysia. Maybe I missed something.

babu1 Aug 3rd 2012 3:39 pm

Hi bakedbean. As you can see, this thread is about the retirement visa, MM2H.

There's a thread about the new thresholds here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763384

:lol:;)

ex reg Aug 3rd 2012 6:28 pm

Ha.
That's told you bb.:rofl:

bakedbean Aug 4th 2012 1:54 am

:(

Teribus1 Aug 4th 2012 2:17 am

Don't be too sad Mrs BB because i only knew as i was in the process of buying here in Melaka. As i understand it Penang and JB are getting "hot" and with elections in mind drums are being rattled. I therefore doubt that the threshold will be raised throughout the country but on a state by state basis.

Teribus1 Aug 4th 2012 8:01 am

Rob

I just realised that I may have misled you. Whilst you can purchase a Malaysian car you cannot drive it to Singapore if you are Singaporean or a Singapore PR holder!

bakedbean Aug 4th 2012 8:42 am

Originally Posted by babu1 (Post 10208482)
Hi bakedbean. As you can see, this thread is about the retirement visa, MM2H.

There's a thread about the new thresholds here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763384

:lol:;)

:tape:

:yield:

ex reg Aug 4th 2012 9:40 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 10209662)
:tape:

:yield:

Marvellous.
That white flag is great and has made me look at all the other possible emoticons.
There's a better choice on here than I've seen anywhere else.:focus:

ThomasK Aug 22nd 2012 2:15 am

Seremban is a good option to stay for a quiet life. It's a 3 hour drive to Singapore or less than an hour to the Low Cost Terminal where you can get an Air Asia flight. For half a million, you can get a bungalow there.

kenle Aug 30th 2012 1:19 pm

I am Malaysian from Melaka, I will try to answer your questions.

Originally Posted by babu1 (Post 10164407)

Okay, so there aren't any renovated shophouses in Georgetown which are less than a starting price of over 2,000,000MYR but there are quite a number of wrecks with potential at less, though still not cheap.

Q. Can anybody verify that these minimum limits are correct in practice?
- for a foreigner to buy property in Malaysia, the property price must be at least MYR 500,000. This is to control property bubbles. As before this rule, many Singaporeans came to buy properties, it makes the local can't afford to get a house.

Q. What, typically is the negotiating margin - downwards, obviously - in price?
- This is difficult to answer, but at the moment, properties are expensive in Malaysia.

Q. many properties are advertised as 'non Bumi' which I had explained to me as non traditional Malay, therefore less pitfalls in the buying process for whatever reasons?
- There are few major races in Malaysia : Malay, Chinese, Indian and others..Basically Bumi is referring to Malay. Therefore, you can't buy the Bumi units. You can only buy Non Bumi Units. But you don't need to worry, your lawyer will check for you then.

Thanks in advance, and any tips/warnings regards buying welcome.

kenle Aug 30th 2012 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by ThomasK (Post 10239530)
Seremban is a good option to stay for a quiet life. It's a 3 hour drive to Singapore or less than an hour to the Low Cost Terminal where you can get an Air Asia flight. For half a million, you can get a bungalow there.

Seremban is relatively a rural place, I believe it will be not easy for a foreigner to stay there.

Melaka, Penang or Ipoh should be a better choice.

bakedbean Aug 31st 2012 1:10 pm

Hi Kenle, Babu was talking about Georgetown In Penang and the thresholds are different. Each state can overide the national minimum. In addition Penang State differentiates between Foreigners and MM2H Foreigners. Penang is the only State currently (as at Aug 2012) to do this. So the 500k for landed is not correct. Yes yes difficult to keep up I know.

In addition in Penang all foreigners must hold their property for 3 years. Starts from signing of S&P (sale and purchase contract).

Err for thresholds thread, see link that Babu put in previously. Cheers Babu

sue allen Dec 15th 2012 12:52 am

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 10127021)
Why ditch Maybank?

It's the best interest rate in Singapore, not as good as in Malaysia though.

I can understand Rob's concern regarding depositing a moderate sum= 30.000GBP or equivalent 150.000RM.
One has to view it as an investment. Back in UK the best ISA is around 2.5%
Maybank is very safe for me for last 15 years since I opened an account here.
You can do telegraphic transfers online from home country like UK.The only pain is getting the TAC for security purposes,and staying up in the middle of the night to do this in UK.
I made a good sum when the exchange went from 7RM to 5RM per pound GBP
If you can go for a premier account you will get at least 260RM=50GBP a month for the sum of 150.000RM Not a bad addition to my pension.
So think positive.

bakedbean Dec 15th 2012 2:13 am

Originally Posted by sue allen (Post 10434258)
I
Maybank is very safe for me for last 15 years since I opened an account here.

I'm not a big Maybank fan but, on the other hand, I think most of the Malaysian banks are safer bets than the British banks to be honest.