British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Retirement and MM2H (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/)
-   -   Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/retiring-malaysia-malaysia-my-second-home-visa-mm2h-757238/)

KSAMS Nov 5th 2015 4:07 pm

Re: Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. Will trawl Airbnb.
For the weather part if it gets oppressive on the W.Coast while we are there Jan to April (always presuming that is) then we can hop on a plane somewhere I guess.

One of the main reasons for MM2H remains however and that is to stay out of the tender loving embrace of HMRC in a "good value" location.

Guess we will find out more when we visit next year.

Can anyone comment which of the sailing clubs are friendly or friendliest ? We have been fortunate in the past that clubs have done more than sailing with other social activities as we'll.
I'm happy to assist with OOD duties and youth coaching or adult learn to sail if that is welcome / sought after but would not want to impinge if this is the preserve of others.

Thanks for continued input

InVinoVeritas Nov 6th 2015 2:54 am

The Penang Swimming Club has an active sailing section. Membership is quite expensive though.

SushiFan Nov 6th 2015 8:06 am

What kind of sailing are you into? Open sailing boats, or yachts for multiple-day trips along the Malaysian coast, including the various islands?

bakedbean Nov 6th 2015 8:54 am

Originally Posted by KSAMS (Post 11787054)

One of the main reasons for MM2H remains however and that is to stay out of the tender loving embrace of HMRC in a "good value" location.

I think (and someone please correct me if this is wrong), if you wish to show yourself tax resident in Malaysia, you will need to get a letter from the tax office here (to send to HMRC) and show that you are here in Malaysia for six months.

That's my understanding. I haven't actually done that yet, since I haven't had any substantial income from the UK since I left there.

InVinoVeritas Nov 6th 2015 10:00 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 11787572)
I think (and someone please correct me if this is wrong), if you wish to show yourself tax resident in Malaysia, you will need to get a letter from the tax office here (to send to HMRC) and show that you are here in Malaysia for six months.

That's my understanding. I haven't actually done that yet, since I haven't had any substantial income from the UK since I left there.

I think that would only be necessary if HMRC asked for it. Otherwise you just send off your P85 when you leave the UK and then wait for your tax refund (if appropriate).

That does bring to mind a situation which could affect ex-pat retirees in Malaysia which is that should they travel a lot and spend less than 183 days in Malaysia then they might not be able to get the letter to which BB refers even though they have their principal residence and spend more of their time in Malaysia than in any other country.

bakedbean Nov 6th 2015 1:32 pm

We probably need a separate topic on this...or maybe we already did have one somewhere hehe.

I'm a bit fuzzy on it. I know of a few Brits doing this a few years back but don't have any up to date info. I know you have to go to,the tax office in Beach Street in Penang. Oh and Beach Street is so lovely for finding parking isn't it :flypig::flypig::flypig:

KSAMS Nov 6th 2015 2:59 pm

For me having been non resident for 20 years it is just a case of remaining outside the UK and spending less than 90 days there as far as I am aware. Tax returns have been done in the interim and they seem to be happy.

For sailing I enjoy everything from high performance dinghies through keelboats to live aboard cruising. I have not cracked foiling but if the water is warm and clean I might give that a go.

NeonHippy Nov 6th 2015 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 11787609)
I think that would only be necessary if HMRC asked for it. Otherwise you just send off your P85 when you leave the UK and then wait for your tax refund (if appropriate).

I don't think it's quite that easy and depends very much on what date you leave the UK. If you leave shortly after the start of the UK tax year you may be deemed to be automatically non resident for tax purposes. Or if you can spend more than 183 days of the MY tax year here you may be deemed to be automatically tax resident in MY. But if you leave the UK with less than 183 days left in the MY tax year you will need to apply using form DT-Individual.

I fall into this last category and will be testing the system in the coming weeks. I will start a new thread and report on my progress.

Scuba Tyke Nov 8th 2015 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by KSAMS (Post 11785627)
Hi everyone. Newbie here so if I am posting on the wrong thread please redirect me.

We have been away from the UK for the past 20 years in the Middle East and now looking for somewhere to base ourselves abroad for the next 5 or so years for tax reasons.

MM2H looks a good deal in that we can make our modest income go further before the pension proper kicks in.

We like Sailing, swimming, diving, running, walking, yoga, seeing different cultures, having a bit of space to live in preferably with a view and cooking / entertaining. Well SWMBO mainly likes the cooking, I do the eating but that may change a bit once we have more time on our hands.

We don't like big cities that are choked, polluted and hassled

Nascent plan would be to spend Jan through to April/May based in Malaysia but travel about in country and within the region a bit.

We are planning on doing a look see next July as that is when leave is best for me.

Questions:
1. Is it worth going to Penang in July when the weather may be not ideal and not what we would experience during our target time for Malaysia or is there a more representative place to go for a glimpse of the climate?

2. If we are only around for 4 ish months and probably travelling for 2-3 weeks during this can we get reasonable rental accommodation and be able to leave a couple of suitcases behind for our return?

3. What is the best way to plug in to a community quickly given we will not be in the country all the time so we need to find some like minded souls fairly quickly and keep in touch while we are away? Hitherto we have always had work, children or both that have given us starting points.

Any thoughts and guidance would be appreciated.

Hello KSAMS,

From your moniker I'm guessing we may both be in the same Middle East country just now.

If you scroll up a few posts from your original request you will see a brief overview of what my wife and I think of Port Dickson, a destination that certainly fits your interests. We are also Scuba Divers if that is the sort of diving you are interested in. If it is, and is a big priority for you, may I suggest you consider Sabah? The scuba diving there is world class. If Port Dickson makes it to your short list of destinations please feel free to PM me and I will be happy to answer any further questions.

ST

meinkl Nov 8th 2015 2:58 pm

Jan Feb March are usually the wetter months in West Malaysia, July to Sept/Oct has THE Haze, on Langkawi Sept is always wet, ... but recent years it's all got rather mixed up.

There are more short lease service apartments around than used to be, but expensive and only in up market urban areas. The originals like MiCasa in KL still going strong and usually the initial springboard location for many a working expat.
Good luck.

meinkl Nov 8th 2015 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by KSAMS (Post 11787054)

Can anyone comment which of the sailing clubs are friendly or friendliest ? We have been fortunate in the past that clubs have done more than sailing with other social activities as we'll.
I'm happy to assist with OOD duties and youth coaching or adult learn to sail if that is welcome / sought after but would not want to impinge if this is the preserve of others.

Re sailing clubs please PM me for more details.
RSYC in port klang is the only really active racing yacht club ( I am the RO there) and needs more sailors as numbers dwindling.
Home to the annual Raja Muda regatta (in 2 weeks)
RLYC in Langkawi is nicer location but no racing apart from annual regatta
Port Dickson has YC and marina.. the YC has dinghies but no keelboats.

if you get in touch i can pass on contact details for all of these.
M.E.

KSAMS Nov 8th 2015 6:02 pm

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. Much to consider re location so I will have to do some touring around next year.
I read somewhere that MM2H is slightly different for Sabah ie you have to apply there only and your "mainland" MM2H visa does not work there. Is this accurate?

As this is my 3rd post I will now be able to mail you all on the different subjects about which you have kindly agreed to respond.

bakedbean May 4th 2016 8:21 am

I'm not sure if we have this link on this sticky (and I cannot be arsed to check through all 11 pages) so here is a link to the Sarawak MM2H site.
Official Website of Ministry of Tourism Sarawak

Those interested in Sarawak may also wish to eyeball this topic too:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/retir.../#post11939070

Linda Ahmad Nov 27th 2016 1:55 pm

Hello Everybody

I have some questions about the Medical Report.
Are all doctors authorized to conduct the Medical Examination or do they have selected few clinics?
(If so, what clinic did you go to?)
What is the routine procedure done for Medical Examination?
Is it just physical checkup? or does it involve blood test, urine test and also X-Ray?
How much time does it take ?
How much does it cost?

Please tell me about your experience.

Any reply is greatly appreciated.

SushiFan Nov 28th 2016 12:33 am

In my case was it the agent who decided on the doctor.
The medical examination was one big joke. The doctor asked about five questions. Such as: "do you feel healthy?", "can you properly see/hear/smell/feel?", "you don't have any disease such as hepatitis, tuberculosis or AIDS?" After giving the correct answer to these questions did he sign a form and was the procedure ended. It took less than 10 minutes.