Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Old Mar 17th 2019, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

You get your approval letter which is submitted with the IM47 form at the consulate/embassy. They will issue a Single Visit Short-Term Visa.

https://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/...-for-visa.html

https://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/...e-country.html
Old Mar 17th 2019, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

meched55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a money grab to me! Just another way to make more money!
Old Mar 17th 2019, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RedApe
You get your approval letter which is submitted with the IM47 form at the consulate/embassy. They will issue a Single Visit Short-Term Visa.

https://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/...-for-visa.html

https://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/...e-country.html
Thank you for that info. So I just apply for the visa before leaving here. When we decide to emigrate. Then I apply with the form VISA with REFERENCE?
Old Mar 18th 2019, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

You can submit your application for the MM2H without needing a visa, then you receive the Conditional Letter of Acceptance, but when you depart receive the Visa you need to request the Single Entry Visa from the Embassy/Consulate. The letter acts as your sponsor reference. Ask at the MM2H One Stop Center if your nationality requires a "Visa With Reference" or a "Visa Without Reference". It's actually the same documentation/fee.

Another element in this whole process is that there was talk that one could apply through an e-VISA procedure. That might be the preferred manner now, or in the near future.You may not need to obtain the Single Entry Visa through the embassy/consulate anymore.Anyone now if this has been implemented yet?

https://www.edgeprop.my/content/1412...cants-end-2018

Old Mar 21st 2019, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedApe
Another element in this whole process is that there was talk that one could apply through an e-VISA procedure. That might be the preferred manner now, or in the near future.You may not need to obtain the Single Entry Visa through the embassy/consulate anymore.Anyone now if this has been implemented yet?

https://www.edgeprop.my/content/1412...cants-end-2018
That sounds too good to be true. And so far it is not true.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Well maybe it will get changed eventually?.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

MM2HApplicant is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - how reliable is the portal for checking status of one's MM2H application. My agent tells me that he has submitted the application and has shown me the receipt from the MM2H programme, but using the portal I get a 'record not found'. The application was submitted about two months ago. Thoughts please?
Old Jun 24th 2019, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

StillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MM2HApplicant
Hi - how reliable is the portal for checking status of one's MM2H application. My agent tells me that he has submitted the application and has shown me the receipt from the MM2H programme, but using the portal I get a 'record not found'. The application was submitted about two months ago. Thoughts please?
Their portal has a delay in updating the status. A receipt from their office is good.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

StillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meched55
According to the Embassy website being a US citizen I get the VISA on Arrival as I have done before. So I can't even find a form to apply for a VISA here in the USA.

So arriving after your MM2H is approved I'll have to pay a journey performed fee. After having to pay the 10 yr visa fees?
meched55, you don't need to pay for JP and you can get a visa at the entry since you have USA passport.

An applicant will receive the Approval Letter along with Entry Visa, if applicable, because some countries are exempted from the procedure of stamping a passport with an Entry Visa before coming to Malaysia. E.g. USA citizens don’t need to obtain a visa before entering Malaysia.

The approval letter will state all the fees an applicant needs to pay.

So, for the countries which require an Entry Visa-
Get this visa at Malaysia Embassy/Consulate in your home country with your MM2H Ref No written on the stamp. Without this visa, you will pay for Journey Performed Visa. Source: http://migratemalaysia.com/What-Must...MM2H-Approval/

Last edited by StillSearching; Jun 24th 2019 at 12:16 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

MM2HApplicant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by StillSearching
Their portal has a delay in updating the status. A receipt from their office is good.
Thanks - that's what my agent says, but good to have someone confirm this.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

http://migratemalaysia.com/What-Must...MM2H-Approval/

"Before coming to Malaysia

1) Depending on your nationality, you may be required to pay JPV Conversion Fee if you enter with a Tourist Visa.
2) To waive this fee, we can assist to apply for an Entry Visa prior to your visit to Malaysia.
3) The Visa will be couriered to you together with a copy of your Approval Letter.
4)You will then need to proceed to your closest Malaysia Embassy to get a stamp on your passport prior to your visit to Malaysia. Please ensure your passport stamp includes the MM2H Ref No. (written as BVP/SHP/14021...)"

Comments: 1) The US is not on the list of nations that are eligible for VISA Free Entry for the purpose of converting to another Visa/Pass status (i.e. to a Work. Student, Long Term Visit, or MM2H Visa). Only Commonwealth countries (excluding some African and most South Asian nations) and Netherlands, Switzerland and Luxembourg are eligible for exemption.
2) Okay - for OTHER nations that require a VISA obtaining one can allow waiver of the fee. Obviously this approach stated in the AGENT website, requires an agent and would only apply to an agent assisted application for a VISA.
SELF-APPLICATION
But they don't tell you about the fact that anyone can obtain a single-entry visa from the consulate or embassy outside of Malaysia. One has to show them your Approval Letter, though. So submission first, then wait for approval, then to Embassy/Consulate with letter. (4)
3) In this system you would not be couriered the Visa. You'd pick it up at the embassy. The MM2H One-Stop Center represents as your "sponsor".
Old Jun 25th 2019, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

I am confused about JPV Conversion Fee.

Our approval letter for Sabah states only Social Visit Pass fee RM720 and Journey Performed Visa has - (minus) against it. An application was done with AGENT.

Our approval letter for West Malaysia states two fees, Social Visit Pass fee RM900 and Security Bond RM2000. It was SELF-APPLICATION.

We entered Sabah on a tourist visa, which was stamped on arrival, and we were not asked to pay for JPV when we received our mm2h stamp. I feel that I am not understanding this whole conversation regarding a problem of entering Malaysia with a tourist visa.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

"I am confused about JPV Conversion Fee"
I'm confused, too, How many is "Our"? Is this per visa/person?
What are your nationalities? Commonwealth citizens (except for India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal, Nigeria and Ghana) are exempt from the Journey Performed fee. That's the Minus {-}. You don't really want to know why some people get hit with a JP fee snd others don't. But it really LOGICALLY should only apply for those applying for Work Permits,,,NOT MM2H.But this is Malaysia.

How long are they giving you on the visa before it expires? Ten years? Five years? Less?

My guess is that the Mainland bill is for a married couple. The MM2H Social Visit Pass fee would be RM90 X 10 years = RM900.

Security Bond is weird. For UK should be RM1500, Not RM2000...Canada and US is RM2000. Are you Canadian? If you were Canadian it would be RM2000. http://www.mm2h.gov.my/pdf/Security%...nd%20Rates.pdf It should be refundable when you decide to leave, if you apply....make sure you keep your receipts. If you have an agent the Bond is sometimes hidden within the agents fee. But they might keep it.

I don't know why they only charged you RM 720 for your Sabah Social Visit Pass...looks like it would only cover 8 years, Not 10. Check the dates on when the visa out runs too. Do your passports end in eight years?
Old Jun 26th 2019, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, RedApe. It gets a little more clear for me.
We, together with my spouse, applied in West Malaysia with the USA passports. There is no mentioning about a JP fee in the Approval Letter. I don't care much about this, because we are not proceeding with mm2h in West Malaysia. This is just for the reference for our discussion here.

We applied to Sabah with passports from Commonwealth nation. This is why a JP fee is not applied to us. But I am totally confused about a stamp.
Our passports expire in 5 years.
MM2H is granted for 10 years.
But MM2H stamp expires in 4 years.
Question- Why 4 years? We would need to renew our stamp in 4 years in our current passports and then get our new passports in about 8 months and then transfer our mm2h stamp to the new passports. It looks like a mistake on their side or a way to charge more for stamping. Our agent didn't noticed this when she was at the immigration with our passports and she doesn't have an answer on this yet.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, as they say...what you get is different from what actually happens.

RE the JP Fee in West Malaysia...you simply lucked out. Or the officer may have looked at an out-of-date "Appendix A" which has the United States as an exempt country. The more recent versions don't. I don't know if the USA being on that list was an error or not.

In Sarawak ALL the literature on Sarawak's MM2H says you get a 10 Year Visa....they haven't given anyone a ten year visa in over a decade. So maybe, in reality, Sabah also only issues a 5 Year renewable visa. Or they actually grant you ten years "eligibility" but the visa itself only runs until the eligibility of the passport. My understanding is the MM2H visa stamp can only continue until the "Must have 6 months available on the Passport" Rule. Thus if your passport expires on May 31, 2021 your visa will expire on Dec 31, 2020. Since they don't have "part years" the visa will end whenever the annual fee covers. Four years. You are still "eligible" for an additional six years but must transfer to the new passport and PAY for the additional years then.

In any case you were charged for 4 years it seems....RM720 decided by four = RM180 for two people. That's RM90 per year/person. That's exactly right.

My advice on the passport thing is to submit renewal a year early to the embassy of whatever commonweal you applied from. British Embassy in KL can send your new one by post and you can get the reapplication form on-line. Takes a month. Then bring both passports to Sabah immigration. In a bind you can request an extension of visa. Though obviously you'd need that before you sent off the old visa. Copy everything before sending it off as you will be "naked" for a bit unless you can hold the old passport. Maybe drop by immigration in KK six months before the visa expires and ask them about procedures THEN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.