Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Originally Posted by Linda Ahmad
Hello Everybody

I have some questions about the Medical Report.
Are all doctors authorized to conduct the Medical Examination or do they have selected few clinics?
(If so, what clinic did you go to?)
What is the routine procedure done for Medical Examination?
Is it just physical checkup? or does it involve blood test, urine test and also X-Ray?
How much time does it take ?
How much does it cost?

Please tell me about your experience.

Any reply is greatly appreciated.
18 months back it cost me 60 RM per person. If you are capable of walking into any of the polyclinics around town they will happily give you a pass for 60RM. Test are Heart Rate, Blood Pressure and a few questions about your general health.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:32 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

As Neon says.

First time I did MM2H we foolishly went to Adventist Hospital. No problem there but they talked us into a fairly full medical which is NOT actually required for MM2H.

Second time around, this year, and somewhat wiser, I just went to my local polyklinik, Teng Polyklinik in Prima Tanjung (Penang) with the form. I cannot remember how much he charged but it was minimal maybe 30 or 40 ringgits. Took about 10 minutes to do.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

An alternative site for the Sarawak Version of the MM2H is here:

Official Website of Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture Sarawak

And a comparison of the Sarawak vs. Peninsula/West Malaysia Programmes here:

The Official Portal of the Sarawak Government
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

rogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nice

Originally Posted by RedApe
An alternative site for the Sarawak Version of the MM2H is here:

Official Website of Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture Sarawak

And a comparison of the Sarawak vs. Peninsula/West Malaysia Programmes here:

The Official Portal of the Sarawak Government
The required sponsor/guarantor seems problematic...No official/business associates can seemingly be used...And yet they are evidently being asked to be a guarantor of your good behavior/financial responsibility...
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerluli
The required sponsor/guarantor seems problematic...No official/business associates can seemingly be used...And yet they are evidently being asked to be a guarantor of your good behavior/financial responsibility...
Not sure what the problem would be other than to find a real Sarawakian/permanent resident who is not affiliated with certain parts of the government.

The actual bond (which is the financial guarantee of good behavior) must be made by the applicant. In the case of Americans it's RM 2000 (I guess we and Canadians are regarded as untrustworthy as many Sub-Saharan Africans ;-)

Europeans, Saudis, Chinese, Iranians, Iraqis, Vietnamese get a discount of MYR500. Other East Asians pay a bond of MYR1000. South Asians and Philippinos pay MYR750.Indonesians MYR500. Thais MYR 300 and Singaporeans must be the best behaved/lowest risk MYR200.

http://www.mm2h.com/forms/personal-bond.pdf

"An application must be sponsored by a Malaysian who originates from Sarawak / Sarawak Permanent Resident, who is required to sign a Personal Bond as the guarantor for the applicant.

The sponsor must not be from any individual / organizations of Land Authority / Tourism Authority, Government Hospital (for Health Tourism). Usage of agents, middleman or consultant firms are prohibited."

"For Approved participants who are applying directly:

Each participant and dependant must submit the Security Bond. *

Note:
* The Security Bond must be stamped (RM 10.00) by The Stamping Office at Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia. The Security Bond can be in the form of a Cash/Bank Draft / Money Order made payable to the Ketua Pengarah Imigresen Malaysia .
* The Bond can be withdrawn if the participant/ dependant decides to exit from the MM2H Programme."

So one submits the Personal Bond directly and in advance to the Immigration Department (unclear if payment is to Inland Revenue who stamps the receipt or to a payment window at Department of Immigration, though) rather than making some sort of arrangement with the sponsor. They are not really on the hook for any costs ASFAIK.

Last edited by RedApe; Mar 3rd 2017 at 8:28 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Update: No one asked me or my sponsor for any money up front. We both signed the Security Bond Document, had it witnessed, and then paid RM10 at the HASIL office (Inland Revenue) in Kuching. That letter (a promissary note) was then submitted to the Immigration Office.

Again there was no payment, although an agent would likely ask to have the bond fees paid up front and not as a "promise". That's how it's done on the peninsula...or for solo applicants the REFUNDABLE bond is handled directly by MM2H.

There are four registered agents for Sarawak (listed on the mm2h.gov website), though Immigration was surprised about this when I told them.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

merlinman is on a distinguished road

For those who didn't attend the BHCKL/MM2H presentation yesterday, the word is out (official), even backed by tiny fold-out MM2H pamphlets. From the "middle of the year" but excluding applications presently in the pipeline:

1. Proof of liquid assets rises to RM600,000 (presently RM350,000)
2. FD rises to RM500,000 (presently RM150,000)
3. Requirement to show off-shore income of RM10,000/month exempted for over-60s

The deputy/assistant director of MM2H who was one of the speakers unashamedly said (backed by a giant slide) that they were looking for "quality not quantity". Quite how they intend to achieve it with this sledgehammer & indiscriminate approach I'm not sure. He was also quizzed as to what happens on renewal, particularly if a spouse has died in the meantime. The answer was not clear & the presenter was obviously floundering, but the consensus among the audience was that any renewal application would be assessed on the criteria in place at the time of original application.
For those interested copies of the pamphlet can probably be picked up from the E & O (leftovers) or PM me & I can email one.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information merlinman. I sent you a PM :-)
Interesting that they removed the income requirement for 60+.
But I guess they consider a FD of 500k to be a sufficient guarantee.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by merlinman
For those who didn't attend the BHCKL/MM2H presentation yesterday, the word is out (official), even backed by tiny fold-out MM2H pamphlets. From the "middle of the year" but excluding applications presently in the pipeline:...
Exempted or eliminated?

IOW can one still show the RM10K as an option in lieu of the massive Fixed Deposit. Or are they saying...Fixed Deposit ONLY.

Seems they are looking for millionaires and not retirees. Most people I know will have difficulty pulling their cash out of assets that are making them money monthly (rental properties, investments, 401Ks, annuity accounts) in order to put money into a FD that can't be touched for monthly income needs. Will people take money out of the Stock Market or Real Estate at 8-10% per annum to park it for a decade in a 4.5% Fixed Account???

I guess "quality" = stupid. And millionaires that earned their money didn't get there by being stupid.

I'm not how this even benefits Malaysia. From my investigation the FD's are invested all over the globe, not just Malaysia. Wouldn't it be smarter to actually go the other way...allow the FD to be drawn down for local expenses, property (no limit), Education, Health Care, purchase of domestic products (crafts, furniture, textiles, artwork, etc.), organization memberships, charity, local tourism costs (domestic airlines, hotels, event tickets), etc. Direct investment.

But maybe I don't own the banks.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by merlinman
For those who didn't attend the BHCKL/MM2H presentation yesterday, the word is out (official), even backed by tiny fold-out MM2H pamphlets. From the "middle of the year" but excluding applications presently in the pipeline:

1. Proof of liquid assets rises to RM600,000 (presently RM350,000)
2. FD rises to RM500,000 (presently RM150,000)

The deputy/assistant director of MM2H who was one of the speakers unashamedly said (backed by a giant slide) that they were looking for "quality not quantity". Quite how they intend to achieve it with this sledgehammer & indiscriminate approach I'm not sure. He was also quizzed as to what happens on renewal, particularly if a spouse has died in the meantime. The answer was not clear & the presenter was obviously floundering, but the consensus among the audience was that any renewal application would be assessed on the criteria in place at the time of original application.
For those interested copies of the pamphlet can probably be picked up from the E & O (leftovers) or PM me & I can email one.
Anything about withdrawal for approved expenses after 1 year, and reduction of FD if bought property the last 5 years ?

The rules are same for under
50 ?
Old Mar 21st 2018, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Also any increases in FD withdrawals, does it keep the same "floor", or did that get raised as well?
Old Mar 21st 2018, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

rogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nice

Sounds like pretty much the end of the MM2H except for the very wealthy...Vietnam with the 1 year visa for Americans and no financial requirements looks very good...
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

WiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really nice

Thank you for posting this info for us non-Brits who were not able to attend.
Since the assistant director seemed not to have all the answers...perhaps additional changes might also be in order in the next year.

I guess my only current concern is the status of people already enrolled/approved. Will we have to match the difference or what happens upon renewal. Will their be more or better Perks for these "Quality" MM2h'ers ?

Too many Bad foreigners ? Politics ? over heating property market ? etc... Time to head to Sarawak with RedApe ???
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 9:40 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reporting back on the MM2H presentation at E&O, merlinman. It seems the rumours, which have been circulating for some months are true, and the MM2H qualification criteria are being considerably tightened.

I'm inclined to agree with rogerluli that this effectively spells the end of the MM2H program. Those with the necessary funds to meet the new criteria will have a wide choice of retirement destinations and Malaysia just doesn't tick enough boxes for the discerning millionaire.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

merlinman is on a distinguished road

Well, it seems that my post & MM2H advice stirred a lot of opinions, none of them favourable, & raised a lot of questions to which the Ministry doesn't seem to have the answers. Classic case of government un-thought through kneejerk action. The (presumed) unintended consequences are very likely to "kill the goose". If there are enough serious concerns perhaps formal representation could be made in the appropriate quarter by BE. RedApe's example in Sarawak could be use as a starting point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.