Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Old May 11th 2015, 8:41 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Originally Posted by Anbar
Could we rent for 6-8months in Penang then move to Port Dickson for a while.
Sure. Why not.

I imagine you would pay through the nose for a short (6 month) rental in Penang, but people do do that. I know of several folks (snowbirds) who spend Winters in Penang, then back to Europe for the Summer.
Old May 11th 2015, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Anbar is just really niceAnbar is just really niceAnbar is just really niceAnbar is just really niceAnbar is just really niceAnbar is just really niceAnbar is just really niceAnbar is just really nice

Thanks BB. Owe you a drink/s when we get there.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

JauntyJet is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Hi, I'm looking into the MM2H program in Malaysia, with the thought of moving to Nusajaya, or perhaps Penang.

I'm starting from scratch in doing my research, but I plan on visiting Johor Bahru in December, with the intention of looking at some property. I'm seeing some beautiful renderings of new projects in Nusajaya - are any of them built yet?

Any and all information is welcome - I fully admit that my ignorance is vast! Please forgive me if I've posted this in the incorrect thread.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 8:03 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JauntyJet - yes, you're in the right place, so stand by for some partisan advice. Mine would be for Penang but since I don't live year-round anywhere I'm not necessarily your typical ex-pat.

If you want to give a bit of background here in this thread or at the The Welcome Inn - British Expats, it might help a bit.

++IVV
Old Sep 16th 2015, 11:10 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again JauntyJet and welcome to the forum.

As IVV says, this section of the forum is all about retiring and the MM2H visa, so have a good browse through the existing topics, then fire away with any questions and we'll try and help out. Feel free to start a new topic within this section if you like.

Nusajaya is a developing area and, amongst the expat population, you'll be finding mostly those who commute to Singapore. I've never heard of any MM2Hers down there....I'm really not sure why as it sounds like a good place...maybe a bit empty so far. If you have any questions specific to Nusajaya and Johor, about living there, I would really recommend you post a question in the Nusajaya and Johor section here:
Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor - British Expats
We have one or two active posters in that section, and I am sure you will get some practical info.

Noted that you say you are travelling there in December? Just be aware that the North-east monsoon kicks in around December and Johor and Singapore get that BIG TIME as does the east coast of the peninsular. It is very heavy rain, believe me, and you will not be walking about. You may get lucky with the weather but......

Conversely, up here in Penang, we are currently having our big rainy time. We get the south-west monsoon - heaviest rain in May and September-ish..

Do you need to be in close proximity to a serious airport? Wondering why you are picking Johor. You might like to consider Melaka (Malacca) maybe, if that is the case. I have a few friends who have retired and semi-retired there and they like the short journey to KLIA.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the insight.

I'm looking at Johor just because I really enjoy Singapore. Since Singapore doesn't have a program for ex-pat retirees, I figured that Johor would give me the advantages of being close to Singapore with the benefit of the MM2H program.

I've been to Penang - well, to George Town - which I very much enjoyed. I'm not certain that Nusajaya is where I want to be, but since I was going to be in Singapore anyhow, I thought I'd take a couple of days to look around Johor.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

And just to add a bit more info, I'm 62, retired, but still active and curious. I don't need to work for the income, but volunteer work is important to me.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by JauntyJet

I've been to Penang - well, to George Town - which I very much enjoyed. I'm not certain that Nusajaya is where I want to be, but since I was going to be in Singapore anyhow, I thought I'd take a couple of days to look around Johor.
Oh OK....sounds like you are not a stranger to south east Asia. Yeh give it a look. Then I really recommend you start up some posts in the Nusajaya section to get some more info on what it is like to live there. Geedee is a helpful guy and I am sure will enlighten you.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 1:49 am
Just Joined

sgcosta is an unknown quantity at this point

Frankly speaking, other than the advantage of being close to Singapore, I don't find Nusajaya an attractive place to live in unless you need to travel to Singapore every day. If you just need to visit Singapore once a month or once a while, Penang could be a better option as budget airlines with just 1 hour flight away are abound nowadays.

Last edited by sgcosta; Sep 19th 2015 at 1:52 am.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sgcosta
Frankly speaking, other than the advantage of being close to Singapore, I don't find Nusajaya an attractive place to live in unless you need to travel to Singapore every day. If you just need to visit Singapore once a month or once a while, Penang could be a better option as budget airlines with just 1 hour flight away are abound nowadays.
Thanks for the insight. I hadn't considered the idea of flying from Penang into Singapore, but it certainly is a possibility.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Conversely, up here in Penang, we are currently having our big rainy time. We get the south-west monsoon - heaviest rain in May and September-ish..
Vice versa does the rain help to remove the haze coming from Sumatra....I've experienced quite a bit of that (haze) when I was in Penang last week.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 4:18 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it does help - rain knocks the big particles out of the air (smoke and water vapour) plus it help extinguish the fires in Sumatra.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute

Having read through this and other threads can i offer my 2p worth..
I have been in Malaysia for 20 years, working then semi retired, and now actually thinking of moving back to UK if my wife can get a visa!

I assume you are retiring here and not working (not that you can if you have MM2H)
So you have to ask yourselves why do i want to live in Malaysia and what do i want to do. Quiet tropical beaches or busy expat community?

Wherever you are in West Malaysia you can fly cheaply to Singapore or KL on Firefly/AirAsia etc many times a day. You can, as i have many time, drive from KL or even Penang, to Singapore within 5 (9) hours (and have your car with you in Singapore). So suggest that living near (Johor) is not worthwhile unless going to Singapore often.

IMHO..
KL is not worth it unless you need to be near work.. too much traffic jams, haze, and getting expensive with RM dropping. Masses of expat haunts (i am in one now!) and good shopping.
Penang is expensive and full of tourists from everywhere and recent expats. Property inflated prices.
Langkawi is quiet, some tourists but quiet ones, beaches everywhere and clean water, but slow island life.
Johor is expensive and nothing much to offer.
Melaka (where my wife if from) is touristy and busy at weekends with Singaporeans and Johorians as well as KL, but nice place, cheaper than KL and part way to Singapore. Good property investment (see note below)
Port Dickson.. well.. its near the airport, property cheap, and IMHO boring.. nothing much to do... however it is the place most likely to develop especially if the new KL/Sing rail link ever gets built

Note, you as MM2H can only buy property if above a certain level, most of which is currently overpriced and about due for a housing price crash in my opinion.
Unless you know Malaysia well, I would come, rent and explore... THEN decide.

Re the question about EAST Malaysia... the excluding Sarawak clause used to be on work permits as a west Malaysia work permit was not valid in Sarawak, only Sabah.... i will check my passport tonight and see if its on the MM2H permit.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 1:35 pm

err I don't know where you are living, but I've been living more than five years in Penang and I don't find it expensive. Friends who have returned here from UK say that UK is expensive so maybe you're in for a little surprise.

And full of tourists? Bit of a generalisation. I don't see many where I am living...mainly locals. Well don't see much at all at the moment cause it's full of haze
Old Oct 1st 2015, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.. But I suppose it's relative to my experiences 20 years ago, when there were hardly any tourists in Penang, property was cheaper than KL (bit like Melaka is still) and very few expats, as most were working in KL.
Penang has become far more crowded (all the apartments on the north coast) and you have to admit Batu Feringghi does have a lot of tourists these days since european charter flights started in the late 90's.

My comment was basically... take time to look around everywhere and decide which part you like most before deciding, Malaysia has so many different aspects and choices.
But you're correct, Penang and Melaka would be my first choices in similar retirement circumstances. Penang now has a great expat community.... just head for Healy Macs in Straits Quay on Quiz night.

I did my MM2H when it first started and was called silver hair scheme. Private health insurance was and still is a requirment, but considering, at 60, mine costs me RM650 a quarter and have had the benefit of good UK trained surgeons and BUPA style private hospitals, one can't complain.

For those that are interested.. renewal of MM2H after the initial period is simple... when I did mine I just went to the MM2H office on 4th floor of Ministry of Tourism at Putrajaya with a few documents like FD statement, medical cover letter, passport and paid the renewal fee. Few days later got a phone call telling me I could collect it. :-)
It's the only immigration office in Malaysia with comfortable sofas, drinks machine and NO QUEUES... not even a ticket number machine.

As for the UK cost of living, yes I know it's gone up, but just look at the rise in Malaysia supermarket prices recently, and the RM now at 6.75 doesnt help (it was 3.2 when I arrived).

Happy Haze.. its the same in KL, but at least you can see the sea in Penang when it clears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.