Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Retired life in Tanjung Tokong / Tanjung Pinang

Retired life in Tanjung Tokong / Tanjung Pinang

Old Jul 18th 2015, 9:32 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Retired life in Tanjung Tokong / Tanjung Pinang

I've been living in Penang for almost 5 years now, and 4 of those years have been in Tanjung Tokong, and I think it's a great place to be retired in.

I'm hearing lately a few moans and groans about all the building work going on (true), starting to look a little bit like Singapore (also true) but so what... it's just so convenient for everything and, in retired life, you have to think about these things, don't you? Especially if you are planning long term (senior years) retirement.

So I thought I'd start a topic for all us Tg Tokong and Tg Pinang residents to spout about what we like here.

Everyone knows about Batu Ferringhi, the beaches, the expat life, so let's talk about something different.

What I like best is the convenience of everything. I can walk out the back of my condo, and get to banks, foodcourts, polykliniks, hairdresser. If I need a hospital, it's just a 10 minute drive to Adventist Hospital in Pulau Tikus. (For emergencies, ambulances might do that journey a bit quicker )

I can get to Tesco by car in 5 minutes. Cold Storage (supermarket) is also close by.

Straits Quay (now technically in Tanjung Pinang) is a 5 minute drive away. Loads to do there. If you're rich, you can berth your yacht there. Plenty of shops there, eateries, a pub or two.

Driving back home today, saw some black smoke going up between Straits Quay and the temporary Malay kampong. Obviously a major fire somewhere. I arrived home and looked out from my balcony. A fire truck and police already there. (Tg Tokong has its own Fire Station) And heard the sirens for two more fire engines coming along. Very impressive service and good to know that Malaysians do actually react quickly in an emergency.

Plenty of shopping malls within short driving distance. Island Plaza admittedly not so good these days, but Gurney Plaza is about 8 minutes drive away. The new City Mall in Tanjung Tokong is due to be completed end of 2016.

Last edited by bakedbean; Jul 18th 2015 at 9:34 am. Reason: typo
Old Jul 18th 2015, 9:55 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retired life in Tanjung Tokong / Tanjung Pinang

But it doesn't have any beaches?

Well it does actually.

A little way along from Straits Quay is Straits Green. You can walk along the promenade at S Quay along to this area. Or, if you are driving, there's a turnoff before S Quay marked for Straits Green.

This is the old Malay kampong area where fisherman still do their trade. Quite pleasant to walk along by there. A couple of my pics below.
Attached Thumbnails Retired life in Tanjung Tokong / Tanjung Pinang-sg3.jpg   Retired life in Tanjung Tokong / Tanjung Pinang-sg4.jpg  
Old Nov 9th 2015, 5:32 am
Just Joined

Smilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond repute

After being in Penang for 11 months, we find living here is really easy... But it's very difficult to make new friends... As your previous post, life is Penang is really easy... medical is good, cheaper to eat outside than cooking at home... only thing missing is a good social circle to make it feels like home... we went back to Canada for 2 months, when we came back a month ago, the heavy haze was so bad, we almost packed and left... It's not easy to leave everything behind and start a new life when you retire...
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Smilecanuke
After being in Penang for 11 months, we find living here is really easy... But it's very difficult to make new friends.
I think building a social circle does take time. I'm trying to think when social life got busy for me here...maybe it was year 2 or 3, I'm not sure. But I think it's like anywhere really. You just need to edge out and find which groups, hobbies you fit into. It would be the same in UK, Canada, wherever** It will happen.

One thing for sure...there is a lot going on in Penang and you really aren't confined to "expat groups". Just follow,your hobbies or try out some new ones

**having said that, I don't think I made any permanent friends in Thailand in two and a half years there hehe. Funny ol' place....or Horses for Courses I suppose.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Smilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in Abu Dhabi for 5.5 years. It was really easy... but it took me more than a year to actually enjoy living in UAE... It did not take me long to retire in Penang as life is really easy... Both DH and I settled down pretty quickly... Then we started to travel... We did meet people in our Condo and outside... some of them had left, and some of them planning to leave... I think the isolation and lack of steady supply of good quality of food are some of the reasons...

But we are here to stay...

Last edited by Smilecanuke; Nov 9th 2015 at 1:51 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smilecanuke
After being in Penang for 11 months, we find living here is really easy... But it's very difficult to make new friends...
Whilst gainfully employed, my work moved me about on average every 5 years. In the early days making 'friends' was easy as SWMBO had a natural meeting point outside the school gate. In later years meeting people became harder and usually revolved around neighbours. Having moved one last time, the number of true friends that we are still in touch with is not that high.

Even the latter can be difficult here in some of the high end condos where security only allows you to travel between the car park and your floor. There is no popping next door for a chat. So making friends reauires some effort. This forum is a good starting point, think what your interests are and post a request for like minded souls. Be it sports, crafts , intellectual or plain old gossip I'm sure you can find some like minded souls.

If someone can manage to get them going again invest some time in the makans. But large social gatherings can be intimidating and I'm not convinced that you get to know people that well there. I certainly found that posting for people who shared the interests of myself and SHMBO has got us off to a running start.