Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Peninsular MM2H reactivated from October, new conditions

Peninsular MM2H reactivated from October, new conditions

Old Aug 17th 2021, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peninsular MM2H reactivated from October, new conditions

Originally Posted by StillSearching
-
Is anyone concerned about climate change? Is anyone looking for a place without fires and floods, without shortage of water, without extreme heat, and with clean air?
Land Below The Winds...eh. Borneo is surrounded by countries with typhoons, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, tsunamis. Lot's of water and clean air (provided they don't burn the rainforest for palm oil plantations).

I'm more than a bit concerned over sea level rise. And the movement of Jakarta to Kalimantan...a direct result of them draining their aquifer. If sea level rises 3-5 meters much of Sarawak will look like Hao Long Bay.

Old Aug 17th 2021, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Snobby rich persons seem to like it. This d**k seems to think that the program is "Moving toward what Nomad Capitalist is All About"...applicants of a "high caliber" with "high net worth" and "Asian countries value wealth".

Old Aug 17th 2021, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StillSearching
I created a spreadsheet with our criteria for each country which offers PR or citizenship programs. Malaysia came at the top and it is why we are here.
Turkey, Philippines, and Indonesia have many-many problems, but it is wise for everyone always to evaluate pros and cons, which are different for everyone.
I'd love to see this. I know people, married to Malaysians, speak fluent Malay, have children, and who have workd and lived in Malaysia for thirty years that have been repeatedly rejected for PR status. What's on paper is not necessarily reality. And I don't think I know of a single foreigner who has ever become a Citizen except for the Lebanese wife of the State Minister.

Old Aug 17th 2021, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

StillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedApe
Land Below The Winds...eh. Borneo is surrounded by countries with typhoons, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, tsunamis. Lot's of water and clean air (provided they don't burn the rainforest for palm oil plantations).

I'm more than a bit concerned over sea level rise. And the movement of Jakarta to Kalimantan...a direct result of them draining their aquifer. If sea level rises 3-5 meters much of Sarawak will look like Hao Long Bay.
All above is correct. Also there are no extremes in temperature here- no cold snaps and no heat waves. The temperature will just rise gradually to the point that you can't be outside for more than 3 hours without special cooling protection and this condition will be all the time in equatorial regions. In other areas this condition will happen only at the time of heat waves.
The highest temperature people can endure is a wet-bulb temperature of 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 degrees Celsius), according to a 2020 study in the journal Science Advances. "A wet-bulb temperature is measured by a thermometer covered in a water-soaked cloth, and it takes into account both heat and humidity. When the air temperature is 102 F (38.9 C) and the relative humidity is 77%, the wet-bulb temperature is about 95 F (35 C)."
Now, imagine power outage scenario. Or let's say you have solar panels but your neighbors don't and they are dying from heat.

Perhaps living at much higher altitudes like in Genting Highlands in KL, would be a better option if you decide to be in Malaysia.

It looks like the world is not in a hurry to cooperate to save the planet. Malaysia is muting any talk about global warming. Yes, the islands and beaches around are slowly disappearing, the floods is a common event. Green energy will not expand here when oil and gas is still heavily subsidized...
Old Aug 17th 2021, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

StillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see this.
My spreadsheet at the top row has these following fields:
Country
Foreign Income Tax
Natural disasters
Pollution
Crime Level
Cost of Living
CONS
PROS
Requirements
Political stability
Language
Preferable Places to Live

Countries which allow PR/citizenship are the following in my list:
Andorra
Anguilla
Bahamas
Belize
Bermuda
Cayman Islands
Costa Rica
Ecuador
Georgia
Grenada
Hong Kong
Malaysia
Malta
Monaco
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Oman
Panama
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Seychelles
Singapore
Taiwan
The British Virgin Islands (BVI)
Turks and Caicos Islands
United Arab Emirates
US Virgin Islands
Vanuatu

Last edited by StillSearching; Aug 17th 2021 at 7:31 am.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

There is also another way to live- to be a PT, "perpetual traveler".
Find two countries you want to stay 6 months out of the year. Buy properties there so that to be comfortable to live with your things and not out of a suitcase.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

RobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really nice

I've always kept my eyes on Malaysia ever since 2010 when I terminated my MM2H visa. This forum was a way to do that in the event I wanted to "try" to re-enter the program. I lived in Singapore for about 25 years, mostly as a PR, but the PR status was obtained through work and not family. The PR in Singapore is not for retirement unless you have a family connection.

After 7 years now I am used to being back in the States and have adopted the "snowbird" lifestyle spending 4 to 5 months a year in either Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, or Equador. It's difficult to decide if I want to get any of their retirement visas, because this seems to work pretty well what I am doing now. The steps to getting a retirement visa are straight forward, and the perks for seniors make it tempting to pursue.

One can only hope the MM2H will work itself out. I was downright shocked to read about the new regulations.

Old Aug 18th 2021, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RobSg
After 7 years now I am used to being back in the States and have adopted the "snowbird" lifestyle spending 4 to 5 months a year in either Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, or Equador.
When you go to live abroad, do you live out of your suitcase for 5 months? I am assuming yes, because you stay in different countries. This style can be hard for many people. Usually snowbirders buy a property in the 2nd-home country and live there for 6 months. It is practically impossible to find a rental for 6 months here. Maybe there is more flexibility in other countries. Asia is too far for EU and USA citizens, it is why majority of 2nd home owners are from China and Singapore here.

But some people prefer not to travel much, especially using any American airlines which are among the worst. Some people would prefer to find a place to settle and not to move around.

There are a lot of US citizens who are not working any more but are not yet on medicare (gov. health care). They can't afford a private health insurance in the US. They become medical refugees. They live abroad until their medicare coverage starts. However, it looks like using a health insurance from the companies abroad and live abroad can be much cheaper and with much better quality than paying for and using Medicare.

Government healthcare schemes are suffering from the lack of funding in many countries in EU. This means that you will get fewer service with lower quality in the future.

Back to our issue with MM2H, it is very depressing that we would need to move somewhere again. Life is very affordable here and with relatively easy life style.

Last edited by StillSearching; Aug 18th 2021 at 1:15 am.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Expect to see more of this, perhaps:
Houses at half price, anyone?
When Chinese developer Country Garden Pacificview Sdn Bhd advertised its Danga Bay, Johor Bahru, project at 50% discount for about six weeks starting in early June, earlier buyers were angry. New buyers were delighted.A Singaporean buyer, Hassan (not his real name), who bought an apartment unit in 2015 for RM1.82 million, was shocked and upset. Overnight, his unit was worth about RM900,000.

“The drop is significant. I can accept that property prices do fall, and have fallen because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Even then, I was shocked to discover that it was by so much, as though a calamity had occurred,” he said. It was his holiday home.

A government-linked developer also halved prices for some of its remaining units located near the National Science Centre in Bukit Kiara, Kuala Lumpur. The units were originally priced at about RM4.5 million each. It is not clear when these units were sold.

Each of these three cases involved unsold completed units. Country Garden Pacificview cited “current market conditions” and “changing requirements of the situation”.

Country Garden Pacificview brand manager Suria Mohd Sidin said that “in view of the continued impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, Country Garden Danga Bay project is proactively adjusting its marketing and promotional strategy to meet the changing requirements of the situation”.

“It is merely the company’s independent business action in response to the market,” Suria said.

The GLC-linked developer was not reachable for comment but a source familiar with the project said the developer had been cutting prices several times.

“These are the ‘less desirable units’. The project is more than 10 years old,” the source said.

These 50% bargains from developers – the first ever in the Malaysian property sector – underscores the high number of completed units still unsold, which are a millstone around developers’ necks.

According to three agents for Country Garden Pacificview Sdn Bhd, which is part of China’s Country Garden group, it had a stock of about 1,000 units and needed to “to sell them quickly”.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

ssoomro is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd love to see this. I know people, married to Malaysians, speak fluent Malay, have children, and who have workd and lived in Malaysia for thirty years that have been repeatedly rejected for PR status. What's on paper is not necessarily reality. And I don't think I know of a single foreigner who has ever become a Citizen except for the Lebanese wife of the State Minister.

...We all will justhave to marry a State Minister .. considering how often they change and number of them.. i think in a couple of years all the existing MM2Hers can be accommodated
Old Aug 18th 2021, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

I know this fella.. and since he is NOT on this forum (I think/though not sure) .. i wont comment directly on his personality etc.. but i think a better name should be "Opportunist Capitalist" .. but then it will be redundant .. anyhoo.. i dont think he is even logical in this post.. opportunist capitalists are NOT interested in locking up 1.5M MYR or equivalent USD/EUR in a low paying go no where FD..

The most annoying point being .. the definition of "High Caliber" ..any douchebag with money.. no matter how gotten seems to qualify in his mind...nothing to do with person' interest in culture, people, polity etc.... same goes for 'high net worth'..and i do have serious reservations about 'Asian countries ...." statement, its patronizing and stinks of racism..

My $0.02

S.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

I may be getting ahead of myself.. and my personal situation may not be applicable to most ppl.. But that is exactly what i am planning for.. POST COVID.. i have MM2h, i am looking into Turkish Residency/Citizenship and Costa Rica/Ecuador PR..

With MM2H going down the drain . I will consider Phil SRRV/Indonesian KITAS.. (Thailand is just not my kindda place) ..

The objectives is to have multiple options . SEA for travel around Asia, Turkey for access to Europe and Central/South America for Latin American access.. i am still healthy ..curious and somewhat nuts.. so hope to try to live this lifestyle for next 10+ yrs.. before getting more sedentary..

to be honest .. i had plans for using MM2H in later years to establish a more semi-permanent perch .. MY has sooo many advantages to offer (Language, climate, food, location, cost of living ) that are hard to find all in one place ....

S.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: Peninsular MM2H reactivated from October, new conditions

Originally Posted by ssoomro
Hi RA...
Sponsor thingy has always been a deal breaker for me .. cant trust anyone who will sponsor ME (A play on old Groucho Marx quote: I dont want to join a club.. that will have ME as a member) What about 50+ hipsters ? my latest hair brained idea is to buy a used van and convert it into live aboard .. trekking across peninsular and Borneo side of Malaysia .. (MCO and latest Govt bowl movement permitting )
S.
I mis-read "hair-brained" as "hair-braided".

You might be interested in this. Why buy property when you can take it with you across borders...

https://harakahdaily.net/index.php/2...ountry-people/

Old Aug 18th 2021, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

I mis-read "hair-brained" as "hair-braided".

You might be interested in this. Why buy property when you can take it with you across borders...

https://harakahdaily.net/index.php/2...ountry-people/
I've previously had the pleasure of living full time in a motorhome (what you might call an RV) for a few years travelling around Europe. I assure anyone considering it that the climate in most lowland states of Malaysia is totally unsuitable unless you are happy to live without aircon in a tin box. Aircon sucks a lot of power and battery recharging capacity is limited, even if you put solar panels all over the roof. That's just one reason why I've only seen two campervans in SE Asia in the several years I've been here. I suppose you could hop from one campsite to another for the AC hookup, not that there are many, but that rather defeats the objective in my view.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Epicurious
I've previously had the pleasure of living full time in a motorhome (what you might call an RV) for a few years travelling around Europe. I assure anyone considering it that the climate in most lowland states of Malaysia is totally unsuitable unless you are happy to live without aircon in a tin box. Aircon sucks a lot of power and battery recharging capacity is limited, even if you put solar panels all over the roof. That's just one reason why I've only seen two campervans in SE Asia in the several years I've been here. I suppose you could hop from one campsite to another for the AC hookup, not that there are many, but that rather defeats the objective in my view.
I was in a group travelling to several remote kampungs in the north part of Sabah. The jungle is silent because people killed all the animals and birds for food; there is a lot of deforestation; the beaches are dirty with trash which is flushing down from the villages up the rivers. Where would you even swim in the sea here? It is very polluted with waste. Most of the hotels clean their beaches, but piles of trash is just about everywhere. Heat. Some roads are horrendous and air pollution on the roads is unbearable. So, traveling here is not fun for me.

But you can still travel in a SUV and sleep outside in a mosquito tent. We slept in the tents in the jungle!
RV-s are not environmentally friendly though if you care about the planet...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.