Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Peninsular MM2H reactivated from October, new conditions

Peninsular MM2H reactivated from October, new conditions

Old Sep 10th 2021, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

ssoomro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Peninsular MM2H reactivated from October, new conditions

News article in Week in Asia: https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/polit...laysia-rethink
Old Sep 13th 2021, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

A nice letter from a MM2Her: https://www.nst.com.my/opinion/lette...ve-living-here

Old Sep 13th 2021, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

StillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ssoomro
While glancing at this article, I noticed another article there-
Sep 1, 2021
Home ministry to look into why 8,000 MM2H participants not residing here.

Perhaps home ministry should look at the current requirements and see that there is no requirement to reside here.
Asked if the existing pass holders would be exempted from the new conditions, Hamzah said the matter was being studied by his ministry.

If a participant has reached the age of 70 and has resided in the country over the past 15 years, Hamzah said it is fair to provide this group of people some relaxation in order to allow them to remain in the programme.

He, however, said the relaxation to the new conditions would be on case to case basis to ensure that MM2H participants could contribute to the development of the country.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

carbolic is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nati...h-participants

From today's Star

"The Home Minister said there had been improvements to the current procedures for new participants of the MM2H programme, including stricter measures for security purposes.

However, he stressed that for previous participants, it would be decided based on a case-to-case basis due to the security aspect.

“Some of them are disguising as MM2H participants, but they are actually using it (Malaysia) as a transit only, and carry out unwanted activities."

And more analysis from ExpatGo

https://www.expatgo.com/my/2021/09/1...-mm2h-changes/

Last edited by carbolic; Sep 15th 2021 at 6:15 am.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

What struck me most in that news article... was the passage below:
"Earlier, to the original question, Hamzah explained that the reason behind the different policies for the MM2H and immigration between the peninsula and Sabah and Sarawak was due to the special provisions outlined under Sections 64 and 65 of the Immigration Act 1959/63, pertaining to the managing of immigration affairs and the entry of foreigners, among others, into the states.

“However, I will sit down together with the Sabah and Sarawak state governments to standardise the programme across the country to ensure there will be no issues raised on two sets of rules between the peninsula, Sabah and Sarawak,” he added.".

Its classic .. instead of improving mine.. why dont I take yours down too approach
Old Sep 16th 2021, 12:31 am
Just Joined

rbynon is an unknown quantity at this point

I certainly hope Sarawak doesn't give in to arm-twisting from the Home Minister. Somehow, I don't think they will give in to this insanity. At least the SMM2H program requires a stay of 15 days or more per year to keep the visa valid. This is something that the Home Minister should look at, while greatly reducing the income and deposit requirements for MM2H as well.

The Sultan of Johor, who wields considerable clout, also disagrees with the Home Minister's plan, so there is hope. The problem, even if there is a change for the good, is that there is now distrust in the government and that prospective applicants will think twice about making the move.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbynon
I certainly hope Sarawak doesn't give in to arm-twisting from the Home Minister. Somehow, I don't think they will give in to this insanity. At least the SMM2H program requires a stay of 15 days or more per year to keep the visa valid. This is something that the Home Minister should look at, while greatly reducing the income and deposit requirements for MM2H as well.
The new Federal MM2H rules requires a 90-Day Minimum Annual Stay. I wonder how many multi-millionires would want to be constrained by such a rule.

Multi-millionaires can use the 90 Day tourist visa and stay in a top notch hotel suite. What is the additional draw that will attract Multi-Millionaires that they could not have received under the old program? In fact the new rules allows the government to snoop into more of their financial records (Proof of offshore assets). Clause 21 states "To ensure CONTROL over MM2H participants the Ministry of Home Affairs through the Enforcement Agencies under it, namely the Malaysian Immigration Department (JIM) and the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM) will carry out monitoring and enforcement from time to time". So they can monitor you without a warrant? Maybe visit your property to mke sure one isn't in violation of the terms of the visa? Seems odd that the Home Ministry would need to have this in the requirements unless it was an expansion of their legal authority.

Old Sep 17th 2021, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StillSearching
Asked if the existing pass holders would be exempted from the new conditions, Hamzah said the matter was being studied by his ministry.

If a participant has reached the age of 70 and has resided in the country over the past 15 years, Hamzah said it is fair to provide this group of people some relaxation in order to allow them to remain in the programme.

He, however, said the relaxation to the new conditions would be on case to case basis to ensure that MM2H participants could contribute to the development of the country..
How many CURRENT MM2H Recipients are over 70 and have been on the program since 2005? About 7000 had received MM2H visas by then but I suspect that many are no longer on the program. Even if they were still all alive or still living here that's still only 14% of the total recipients. "It is fair to provide THIS group of people SOME relaxation in order to allow THEM to remain". Not even this group gets grandfathered...they only get "some relaxation" of the requirements. And ANY "relaxation to the new conditions would be on case to case basis". So even this smll group of septagenarians will be interrogated about how they "could contribute to the development of the country".
Old Sep 17th 2021, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=carbolic;13051527]" for previous [i.e. RENEWING] participants, it would be decided based on a case-to-case basis due to "the security aspect".

“Some of them are disguising as MM2H participants, but they are actually using it (Malaysia) as a transit only, and carry out "unwanted activities."/QUOTE]

So each of 50,000 visas are to be inspected on a case by case basis? Are they going to interrogate the recipients?
"Why were you out of the country for 2015?"
"I went home to take care of my elderly mother."
"Can you prove this? Do you even have a mother?"
"Everyone has a mother, don't they"
"Hmmmmhph. Is she really elderly."
"I'm 60 now ...she was 79 years old then..."
"We will need her birth certificate or some other record of her age. How do we know you "took care of her".?"
"My visa did not require me to be in Malaysia...I was out one year. I was here for 9 of the ten years."
"So you say..."
"Look at the visa stamps"
"Hmmphhhh...can you show me where it says you are allowed to remain out of Malaysia for a year."
"It's not a requirement to stay in Malaysia"
"Still you were not contributing to Malaysia for one whole year. I think you should apologize."
"I'm sorry that I was not in Malaysia for that year, my mother was seriously ill, still my Fixed Deposit surely halped Malaysia, and I continued to pay rent on my condo"
"Rent? Why didn't you buy?"
"It's not required to buy a property!"
"But you CAN...to contribute to the economy..."

Immigration Officer @1 to #2
"How'd it go with the re-applicant?"
"Oh the Chinese guy...denied Security risk. He made u some story about paying rent on a condo while he was away in China. No Chinese would throw such money away. He must be doing something illegal!"
Old Sep 17th 2021, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Johor Sultan wants to meet PM over MM2H eligibility criteria
JOHOR BARU: The new eligibility criteria for the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) programme needs urgent review, says Johor Ruler Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar, who wants to take the matter up with Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.He said the potential loss of revenue to the state was enormous, especially since Johor is a popular MM2H destination.

He said that the many appeals to review the new criteria were not attended to, despite an earlier promise by Home Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainudin to reconsider it.

"What we have heard in Parliament is a mere promise to consider MM2H applicants on a case-by-case basis" he said in a Facebook post on Friday (Sept 17), adding that this fell short of expectations.

Sultan Ibrahim added that existing MM2H participants and relevant stakeholders would feel let down.

"If security was the main reason for the new criteria, then the Home Ministry only needs to revoke the visas of errant MM2H pass holders, instead of a blanket ruling that affects everyone.

"MM2H offers multiplier economic effects. Malaysians benefit and so does the government," he said adding this could garner bad publicity internationally for Malaysia.

"I hope good sense will prevail and the government will reinstate the programme without any drastic changes immediately," he said.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

PM must tread cautiously on MM2H issue, says analyst
PETALING JAYA: The prime minister has been urged to adopt a more consultative approach on the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) programme and avoid being seen as continuing a “bad policy” of the previous government.Political economist Firdausi Suffian of Sabah UiTM said Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob has already earned some goodwill by offering an olive branch to the opposition and reaching a political understanding with Pakatan Harapan on reforms.

“I feel he should listen to calls for the review of the new MM2H conditions which are restrictive and counterproductive to the government’s efforts to revive the economy,” said Firdausi.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

More protests from Johor: Johor wants Home Ministry to review strict conditions of MM2H, says MB
ISKANDAR PUTERI, Sept 19 — The Johor government hopes the Home Ministry (KDN) would review the strict conditions of Malaysia My Second Home Programme (MM2H) set recently.Mentri Besar Datuk Hasni Mohamad said this was because the new conditions were seen as having an impact on Johor and thus hoping that the old conditions could be maintained.

He said he had also raised the matter with Finance Minister Senator Datuk Seri Tengku Zafrul Abdul Aziz in a discussion this afternoon.

“The situation in Johor is different because we are neighbours with Singapore and the MM2H programme is one of the strengths that gives us many benefits.

“So we hope the Home Ministry will not only be able to review the conditions, but also reach a decision immediately. Johor is very affected by the new conditions announced and if possible we want the old conditions to be retained,” he told reporters after handing over 46 housing units for the resettlement of Kampung Ladang Darat residents to Kampung Pendas Baru, here today.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

StillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carbolic

“Some of them are disguising as MM2H participants, but they are actually using it (Malaysia) as a transit only, and carry out unwanted activities."

And more analysis from ExpatGo

https://www.expatgo.com/my/2021/09/1...-mm2h-changes/
I am astonished about use of a word "disguising" here. A government official can't find other words? It shows that he has strong personal feelings about some foreigners.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rbynon
I certainly hope Sarawak doesn't give in to arm-twisting from the Home Minister. ..
The Sultan of Johor, who wields considerable clout, also disagrees with the Home Minister's plan, so there is hope. ..
If they were even slightly concerned about the Sultan's opinion, they would ask him before their announcement.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StillSearching
I am astonished about use of a word "disguising" here. A government official can't find other words? It shows that he has strong personal feelings about some foreigners.
In another statement the Home Minister actually accused other countries of "Dumping" their unwanted citizen into Malaysia using the MM2H. On the one hand he camplains about MM2H NOT living here, and staying in their home countries, on the other he complains that they aren't wanted in their home country and COME to live in Malaysia? Does anyone know of a single country that is paying for some hobo's airfare, bond, Fixed Deposit, Insurance and doctoring up their financial and police records just to get them out of the country? What evidence is there of that? What country? This sounds like the Home Minister still has his "S.uspected H.ippie I.n T.ransit" rubber stamp at the ready. "Those hippie bums...they may have gone bald and wear nicer clothes but they are still out there...wascally rabbits."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.