British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Retirement and MM2H (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/)
-   -   Opening a Bank Account in Kuala Lumpur (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/opening-bank-account-kuala-lumpur-899598/)

nowoolymitts Aug 29th 2017 8:51 am

Re: Opening a Bank Account in Kuala Lumpur

Well all went well have visa and bank account set up went very smoothly. One tiny bit of advise....I got a local sim as soon as I arrived in KL and used this number in all the info you need to set up a bank account. I will not be returning to KL until Dec/Jan So as this was a Pay as you go sim the number would lapse...so I extended its life by paying a small amount to last for 6 months. Yvonne seemed to indicated that all hell would break loose if you had to change number with the bank. This may not be true but not prepared to mess up at this final stage! Anyway good news got VISA!!!!!

simon2017 Aug 29th 2017 9:01 am

Originally Posted by nowoolymitts (Post 12326588)
Well all went well have visa and bank account set up went very smoothly. One tiny bit of advise....I got a local sim as soon as I arrived in KL and used this number in all the info you need to set up a bank account. I will not be returning to KL until Dec/Jan So as this was a Pay as you go sim the number would lapse...so I extended its life by paying a small amount to last for 6 months. Yvonne seemed to indicated that all hell would break loose if you had to change number with the bank. This may not be true but not prepared to mess up at this final stage! Anyway good news got VISA!!!!!

Hi Nowoolymits,
with HSBC (and presumeably with other banks) every transaction that occurs on your credit or debit card you get a no charge SMS asking you to contact HSBC if you did not authorise that particular transaction. Quite nifty in fraud in fraud protection, and the SMS occurs no matter how small the amount, but might explain why the banks are so sensitive about not having a valid mobile number.

Macsta Aug 29th 2017 9:35 am

Originally Posted by nowoolymitts (Post 12326588)

Congratulations NWM on your visa.

I am also with HSBC but cannot remember giving a local number for my application although I had one bought at the airport for my visa visit. I am not yet living in MY so I am not using my accounts for transactions so its immaterial but for sure when I do settle I will get a permanent local number so I will want it adding (or amending).

"All hell will break loose at the bank" - I am sure its my money and they are just the custodians at my behest so I hope they try that one on me.

I am bound to them with the FD but any other money I have with them I can transfer as I like, watch any attitude change then.

I hope you have a great life in MY :nod:

nowoolymitts Aug 29th 2017 10:49 am

Goodness me....Macsta I only meant it may be an inconvenience to you further down the line. Helpful I thought.

Macsta Aug 29th 2017 11:13 am

Originally Posted by nowoolymitts (Post 12326652)
Goodness me....Macsta I only meant it may be an inconvenience to you further down the line. Helpful I thought.

Sorry NWM didnt mean to scare you :cool: my ire was aimed at the potential lack of service by banking institutions (well documented on this forum).

Being fair HSBC on my visit were most helpful even when I turned up with a bundle of cash that they couldn't accept they guided me to the best solution at hand.

Any advice is always most gratefully received.

stepen Aug 30th 2017 3:40 am

VISA cheaper than Transferwise

We've discussed transferwise earlier in this tread, and I just transferred some funds from USD to MYR monday at rate 4.2655 (- minues their fees and wire costs). Then I checked visa's exchange rate and found it to be 4.2704200812 if your card doesn't have any foreign currency fees (which mine doesn't) or other fees.
So instead of using transferwise it is even cheaper to just use ATM (provided you have a card with no fees).

So I'm wondering if I need to move some funds over, I can over a period of a a couple of weeks withdraw up to US$1000 every day and deposit into HSBC in Malaysia. Are cash deposits looked at with suspicion in Malaysia? Or will it be ok to deposit say 10K or more ringgit at a branch?

simon2017 Sep 1st 2017 12:50 am

Re: VISA cheaper than Transferwise

Originally Posted by stepen (Post 12327320)
We've discussed transferwise earlier in this tread, and I just transferred some funds from USD to MYR monday at rate 4.2655 (- minues their fees and wire costs). Then I checked visa's exchange rate and found it to be 4.2704200812 if your card doesn't have any foreign currency fees (which mine doesn't) or other fees.
So instead of using transferwise it is even cheaper to just use ATM (provided you have a card with no fees).

So I'm wondering if I need to move some funds over, I can over a period of a a couple of weeks withdraw up to US$1000 every day and deposit into HSBC in Malaysia. Are cash deposits looked at with suspicion in Malaysia? Or will it be ok to deposit say 10K or more ringgit at a branch?

Hi Stepen,
any amount above RM3000 is reported. But in the same way if you transferred RM100,000 using Transferwise (it would be reported) you would be able to show the source of the funds so while it would pose a red flag as you can explain the source of the funds you would be ok.

simon2017 Sep 1st 2017 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12319573)
With (maybe) the exception of MM2H FD's, the Amanah (Islamic FD) option may be worth exploring as well.
The return is called profit rate there but apart from that there is no difference.
Sometimes the profit rates are higher than the interest rates, like when I placed an Islamic FD with CIMB earlier this year at a monthly paid out profit rate of 4.15% p.a.

Another option to look into is MBSB, the Malasian building society.
But I don't know if they are accepted for MM2H FD' and the deposits made with them are not Gov't guaranteed.

Hi Gunnar45,

my investigations of rates and returns has found a difference between the better Islamic rate (profit) and the normal FD rate. The difference is that a normal FD is covered by the government guarantee on bank deposits, while the Islamic FD is not covered as it is considered an investment product (profit). Not necessarily a big deal as long as one understands that the additional return from profit does include additional risk (might be small risk)

eCdD Sep 1st 2017 5:15 am

Originally Posted by stepen (Post 12327320)

Sure, this can happen every day. Especially when the MYR is gaining or losing heavily from one day to the next, the CC cards companies sometimes follow not so fast. These are the days when I run with my Master Card to the next ATM ;)

By the way, in 90 to 95 % of the days (in earlier times 100 %) the Master Card exchange rate is better than Visa. Nowadays the gap is most of the time quite small, two years before it was huuuuuuuuuuuuge. That is also the reason why they throw a no fees visa card to you on every corner and one from Master Card is quite hard to get.

I had a EUR to MYR transfer on Tuesday (9000 €), Mastercard was 5,084471,
Visa was 5,079196 MYR and Transferwise gave me 5,080536 including their usual 0,7% fee.

So not too much difference, all good options, all way better than having the banks involved.

simon2017 Sep 1st 2017 7:03 am

Originally Posted by eCdD (Post 12329140)
Sure, this can happen every day. Especially when the MYR is gaining or losing heavily from one day to the next, the CC cards companies sometimes follow not so fast. These are the days when I run with my Master Card to the next ATM ;)

By the way, in 90 to 95 % of the days (in earlier times 100 %) the Master Card exchange rate is better than Visa. Nowadays the gap is most of the time quite small, two years before it was huuuuuuuuuuuuge. That is also the reason why they throw a no fees visa card to you on every corner and one from Master Card is quite hard to get.

I had a EUR to MYR transfer on Tuesday (9000 €), Mastercard was 5,084471,
Visa was 5,079196 MYR and Transferwise gave me 5,080536 including their usual 0,7% fee.

So not too much difference, all good options, all way better than having the banks involved.

For those transferring funds using Transferwise where the currency is not USD or GBP the rate they quote on the day is not guaranteed. (check the exchange rate line). As an example, if I wanted to transfer AUD 5000 to RM then Transferwise will look for someone wanting to transfer RM to AUD. If they cannot find sufficient coverage within their own systems then they will use bank exchange rates instead. So for most currencies Transferwise is unsure whether there will be sufficient coverage hence no guarantee. This recently happened to me where the cash rate for AUD in Penang on the day was RM3.39 to 1 AUD, and I ended up only getting RM3.36 4 days later when the transfer was completed. So sometimes the instant transfer with a guaranteed rate is better than the rate you may be in a few days time.

stepen Sep 1st 2017 7:20 am

Originally Posted by simon2017 (Post 12329169)
Transferwise will look for someone wanting to transfer RM to AUD. If they cannot find sufficient coverage within their own systems then they will use bank exchange rates instead. So for most currencies Transferwise is unsure whether there will be sufficient coverage hence no guarantee.

I'm not sure if that's the way it works. As you cannot transfer from MYR.
They probably have some other arrangement, giving them access to interbank rates.

simon2017 Sep 1st 2017 8:32 am

Originally Posted by stepen (Post 12329176)
I'm not sure if that's the way it works. As you cannot transfer from MYR.
They probably have some other arrangement, giving them access to interbank rates.

I know there are restrictions on transferring money out of Malaysia but I have done so successfully (using HSBC). That said I did look at Transferwise and they don't give an option to do a transfer out of Malaysia so I you are correct as far as Transferwise is concerned.

Presumably for some currencies such as GBP and USD Transferwise must be able to quote a definite rate because of the volume coming into Malaysia (presumably a locked in rate from a Malaysian bank) while for other currencies they must get a rate based on the day of the transfer.

eCdD Sep 1st 2017 10:13 am

Originally Posted by simon2017 (Post 12329169)
If they cannot find sufficient coverage within their own systems then they will use bank exchange rates instead. So for most currencies Transferwise is unsure whether there will be sufficient coverage hence no guarantee.

No, it is not working in this way. For EUR and the other currencies apart from USD and GBP they indeed do not guarantee the rate, they will use the rate of the day your Euros arrive at their account. This can be better or worse than the rate of the day you set up the transfer. For example, when I set up the transfer last monday, the rate was 5,0993 and on Tuesday when my money reached them I got 5,1161(before the 0,7% fee). You can protect your transfer from a rate drop by setting a maximum spread of 0,5 % on the downside which of cause I always do.

simon2017 Sep 1st 2017 10:37 am

Originally Posted by eCdD (Post 12329223)
No, it is not working in this way. For EUR and the other currencies apart from USD and GBP they indeed do not guarantee the rate, they will use the rate of the day your Euros arrive at their account. This can be better or worse than the rate of the day you set up the transfer. For example, when I set up the transfer last monday, the rate was 5,0993 and on Tuesday when my money reached them I got 5,1161(before the 0,7% fee). You can protect your transfer from a rate drop by setting a maximum spread of 0,5 % on the downside which of cause I always do.

Thanks for clarifying how Transferwise works in Malaysia .... quite different from when I have used it to transfer money between UK and Australia.

Gunnar45 Sep 1st 2017 11:14 am

Simon2017,
In response to your post #88,
It seems to me that the Islamic deposits are eligible for protection.

See for example:
Fixed Return Income Account-i (FRIA-i) – Maturity Returns

and follow the link:
'Eligible for PIDM Protection. To view PIDM's brochure, click here'.

See item 10 in the brochure.

macmagrduer Nov 13th 2017 7:36 am

Hello All,

Currently in the MM2H process and researching banking and having funds in place for FD.

HSBC appears to be easiest from the USA but the stories here are waving me off from them.

Does CIMB offer the option to open a USD account along with MR current and MR FD for MM2H?

Thank you in advance for your input,

Gunnar45 Nov 13th 2017 10:38 am

https://www.cimbbank.com.my/en/perso...t-account.html

macmagrduer Nov 13th 2017 11:33 am

Thanks Gunnar45! I guess I could have googled that :)

Macsta Nov 13th 2017 11:59 am

Originally Posted by macmagrduer (Post 12380788)
HSBC appears to be easiest from the USA but the stories here are waving me off from them.

Hi macmagrduer, I use HSBC but primarily for the use of their Global View service which in my current situation being outside MY is the only feasible option open to me.

I haven't experienced bad service from HSBC but as yet I do not physically interact with any of their MY branches but online I have opened FD's with no issues and it all works pretty well as expected.

My MM2H agent recommended CIMB but I do not know their coverage or systems well enough to give any pros and cons for international transfers.

It will be interesting to see CIMB current MM2H FD rate as previously it has been higher than HSBC.

Best of luck :fingerscrossed:

macmagrduer Nov 14th 2017 6:47 am

Thank you Macsta,

As I travel globally for work HSBC looked like the right option with branches worldwide. Good to hear you've not had negative experiences.

The MM2H fixed deposit rate is not a deal breaker but why turn down an extra point or two over ten years is a factor as well but maybe that comes down to negotiation at the table.

Do ATMs in Penang and KL dispense USD and/or Euro or is that a rare find? That will factor in the need for a USD account locally.

Appreciate the feedback,

Gunnar45 Nov 14th 2017 7:47 am

As far as I know, no ATM's dispense other than MYR.
And I was informed by CIMB that if a forex account doesn't allow cash withdrawals in forex! (This is however possible in Singapore)

SushiFan Nov 14th 2017 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Macsta (Post 12380957)
It will be interesting to see CIMB current MM2H FD rate as previously it has been higher than HSBC.

CIMB has just recently renewed my MM2H FD. Over the previous 12 months I received 3.55%. For the coming 12 months will I receive 3.85%.

InVinoVeritas Nov 14th 2017 8:19 am

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 12381609)
CIMB has just recently renewed my MM2H FD. Over the previous 12 months I received 3.55%. For the coming 12 months will I receive 3.85%.

For info, HSBC gave me 2.9% last year and it will be the same this year.

simon2017 Nov 14th 2017 9:19 am

Originally Posted by macmagrduer (Post 12381574)
Thank you Macsta,

As I travel globally for work HSBC looked like the right option with branches worldwide. Good to hear you've not had negative experiences.

The MM2H fixed deposit rate is not a deal breaker but why turn down an extra point or two over ten years is a factor as well but maybe that comes down to negotiation at the table.

Do ATMs in Penang and KL dispense USD and/or Euro or is that a rare find? That will factor in the need for a USD account locally.

Appreciate the feedback,

Hi Mac,
If you are a premier customer in the US (or elsewhere) suggest you ring HSBC Premier Malaysia and make an appointment with a relationship manager. That's what I did before I arrived in Malaysia and had no problems at all with opening accounts. I was also able to transfer money immediately from overseas into HSBC Malaysia and got a debit card on the spot which enabled me to live without carrying around too much cash. Also got a fee free credit card. I have foreign accounts (Euro, USD, GBP) with HSBC Malaysia but am not aware of the ability to withdraw in cash USD from the USD account. By the way FD rates on USD at HSBC is 1.18% for 9 months which may be better than you are getting in the US.

Macsta Nov 14th 2017 9:53 am

Originally Posted by simon2017 (Post 12381644)
Also got a fee free credit card.

Hi Simon, not to hijack macmagrduer topic but regarding a credit card, when you applied was it straightforward? The reason I ask is I am sure I read it is different in MY if you are retired and you have to lodge money (as a guarantee I expect). I'm not yet retired so when I asked HSBC MY they just gave me an application to complete which I didn't as not being based in MY it seemed superfluous to needs. Does anyone have experience of a retired credit card application?

Originally Posted by macmagrduer (Post 12381644)

Hi macmagrduer, just be aware (as the good folk on this forum previously advised me) the FD rate any of the banks give you is not given for the full 10 years, it is renewed annually at whatever rate they wish to offer and you are locked into the bank you initially choose. I am getting 2.9% with HSBC but even if they drop the rate then the Global View facility suits my circumstances. If you join CIMB and the rate was 3.9% then this might reduce in the future and if it is at parity with HSBC you might wish you took advantage of the worldwide network they have. Just a thought.

InVinoVeritas Nov 14th 2017 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Macsta (Post 12381664)
Hi Simon, not to hijack macmagrduer topic but regarding a credit card, when you applied was it straightforward? The reason I ask is I am sure I read it is different in MY if you are retired and you have to lodge money (as a guarantee I expect). I'm not yet retired so when I asked HSBC MY they just gave me an application to complete which I didn't as not being based in MY it seemed superfluous to needs. Does anyone have experience of a retired credit card application?

I was told by HSBC that I would need to have Malaysian income to get a credit card.

simon2017 Nov 14th 2017 11:19 am

[QUOTE=Macsta;12381664]Hi Simon, not to hijack macmagrduer topic but regarding a credit card, when you applied was it straightforward? The reason I ask is I am sure I read it is different in MY if you are retired and you have to lodge money (as a guarantee I expect). I'm not yet retired so when I asked HSBC MY they just gave me an application to complete which I didn't as not being based in MY it seemed superfluous to needs. Does anyone have experience of a retired credit card application?

Hi Macsta,
I applied for my credit card at the same time as I deposited my MM2H FD with HSBC. The income requirements from memory were MR30k pa which is less than the income requirements for MM2H. I just used some of the income statements that I gave for my MM2H and there were no problems. My application went to, and was approved by their credit card department so this wasn't done at the discretion of the relationship manager. No income was from Malaysia. I've seen a number of posts where people have had various issues with HSBC, none of which I had which is why I suggested in an earlier post going through a Premier relationship manager.

NeonHippy Nov 14th 2017 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12381714)
I was told by HSBC that I would need to have Malaysian income to get a credit card.

I'm retired and have a HSBC Malaysian credit card. I was told that my foreign pension does not qualify as income but I could have a credit card by placing some money in a fixed deposit account. The credit facility is then fixed at (if I recall) 80% of the FD.

HSBC seem really keen to promote the use of credit cards and are constantly coming up with schemes to get me to use the card. I get nearly as much in cash back as the interest on my FD.

Macsta Nov 15th 2017 5:10 am

Originally Posted by NeonHippy (Post 12382255)
I'm retired and have a HSBC Malaysian credit card. I was told that my foreign pension does not qualify as income but I could have a credit card by placing some money in a fixed deposit account. The credit facility is then fixed at (if I recall) 80% of the FD.

HSBC seem really keen to promote the use of credit cards and are constantly coming up with schemes to get me to use the card. I get nearly as much in cash back as the interest on my FD.

This is what I was informed at the time I opened my FD but never proceeded so actually its not a credit card at all in these circumstances it's seems almost a prepaid debit card.

Does the FD bear interest? If not you would have to "work the card" for all the benefits available and balance that they are at least equal to the interest your cash would receive in a paying FD to make it worthwhile.

SushiFan Nov 15th 2017 7:55 am

I am on an MM2H visa in Penang and CIMB was happy to give me (and my wife) a credit card. No requirement on monthly income, the MM2H approval letter does the trick. We had to put a certain amount in a FD and this amount becomes your upper spending limit (it works as a guarantee in case of non-payment). The amount can be between RM 2k and 10k. This FD is a 12 month fixed FD, automatically renewed and pays interest. The interest rate is the same as for any other 12 month FD at CIMB.
This is not a debit card but a credit card because the actual payment is deferred. How much deferred depends on the moment that an expenditure is booked, so in some cases it gets deferred one extra month.

InVinoVeritas Nov 16th 2017 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 12382448)
I am on an MM2H visa in Penang and CIMB was happy to give me (and my wife) a credit card. No requirement on monthly income, the MM2H approval letter does the trick. We had to put a certain amount in a FD and this amount becomes your upper spending limit (it works as a guarantee in case of non-payment). The amount can be between RM 2k and 10k. This FD is a 12 month fixed FD, automatically renewed and pays interest. The interest rate is the same as for any other 12 month FD at CIMB.
This is not a debit card but a credit card because the actual payment is deferred. How much deferred depends on the moment that an expenditure is booked, so in some cases it gets deferred one extra month.

I think what you are referring to is a charge card. The difference is that with a credit card you are not obliged to pay off the balance at the end of the month whereas with a charge card it is fully paid off each month.

RedApe Nov 16th 2017 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12383573)
I think what you are referring to is a charge card. The difference is that with a credit card you are not obliged to pay off the balance at the end of the month whereas with a charge card it is fully paid off each month.

Charge Card AKA A Debit Card. Debit cards automatically deduct the sum from one's account. There may be a small service fee, but no accruing interest, or the opportunity to pay a minimum amount and roll over the accruing payment to the next month. A Credit card is, essentially, a loan (hence different cards may have different levels you are eligible for)...but unless you pay them off entirely at the end of the month you'll actually pay more for the product than if you used a debit card. Banks love credit cards as they have a good chance of making a good deal of money, debit cards are not promoted nearly as much.

NeonHippy Nov 17th 2017 5:13 am

No what I have is very much a credit card. But who would be foolish enough to place a large sum of money on deposit earning 3 percent per annum just so they could run up a credit card and pay nearly 3 percent per month.

SushiFan Nov 17th 2017 7:23 am

No, it is not a charge card. It is a credit card. I can elect to defer payment, but the interest rate is high.

InVinoVeritas Nov 17th 2017 7:58 am

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 12384002)
No, it is not a charge card. It is a credit card. I can elect to defer payment, but the interest rate is high.

I see that but they are not really giving you credit if you have an FD to back any outstanding amount. What advantage is there over a debit card?

stepen Nov 17th 2017 10:03 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12384014)
What advantage is there over a debit card?

Earn miles, cashback

Also, some hotels in places like Hong Kong only accepts credit card for security deposit,they don't accept debit cards.

Gunnar45 Nov 17th 2017 11:20 am

Car rental is another one where a credit card is required.

columbine Nov 18th 2017 2:59 am

For me Credit cards are more useful than Debit cards. Pay almost every thing with Credit cards then clear off when statements come, save me going to get cash at the banks and getting interest free deals to purchase certain big items at big stores which saves loads and at the same time the same amount can remain in acc for interest earned. Those linked with travel points/miles and access to airport lounges are just great eg I get a choice of 3 lounges in HK Chek Lap Kok and the food is way nicer than the one in Pg lounge.
After all most of us are retirees, any money saved is a bonus!

SushiFan Nov 18th 2017 7:10 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12384014)
What advantage is there over a debit card?

Get some cashback on grocery shopping (and other shopping). Get to use certain airport lounges a few times per year. Sometimes shops have a promotion where you get additional discount if you pay with credit card. Don't have to use as much cash, and need to visit an ATM less often.

RedApe Nov 18th 2017 4:55 pm

I've never had any issue with using a debit card to rent vehicles (the same insurance coverage applies), buy on line, or use in restaurants and stores. Almost all Debit Cards nowadays are also MC or VISA backed and all you do is hit a "debit" button on the scanner. As well, you can simply type in more money above the amount to be paid at most retailers and they will give you cash back.

Now in some cases there are promotional items offered with particular bank Credit Cards but I wonder if the Debit Card from that bank would also receive the promo. Air Asia sometimes will reject cards or charge more from other than their affiliated bank (or Malaysian-based banks) but when I looked they treat the CC and the Debit card from those banks the same.

Oh and there are no annual fees or increases in the "introductory" interest rates with a debit card. How many times have I been offered some great deal for signing up with a credit card and then discovered that those wonderful benefits soon evaporated.

Then again I have a terrible credit rating despite having a six figure bank account and another six figure 401K. I have no outstanding loans, mortgages, debts ergo I'm a bad credit risk ;-)