Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Opening a Bank Account in Kuala Lumpur

Opening a Bank Account in Kuala Lumpur

Old Mar 3rd 2018, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a Bank Account in Kuala Lumpur

Hello qwert,
Regarding US tax liabilities, the below might be of interest.
And the MY banks ask for this in their customer questionnaires.
https://1040abroad.com/faq/who-is-a-...-tax-purposes/
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

So you want to first establish a non-Fixed Deposit account (to bring in your US$ @$40k) THEN withdraw that money in US$ currency and take it to a money changer to convert it to RMY? Then bring that back in to CIMB to establish your RMY Fixed Deposit account? There may very well be additional transaction fees involved in all of this (e.g. removing your regular deposit below the minimum to make it a free account) besides being dangerous security-wise. And, as you say, VITAL is only telling you what their exchange rates are...not their service charges.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
Hello qwert,
Regarding US tax liabilities, the below might be of interest.
And the MY banks ask for this in their customer questionnaires.
https://1040abroad.com/faq/who-is-a-...-tax-purposes/
Yes the definition of a "US Person" who must report foreign bank and investment holdings for tax purposes is quite broad. It's not simply a US Citizen. But I understand that these reporting requirements are now becoming widespread internationally. The US began it, other nations are now implementing it as well.

Ironically, most US holders of bank accounts are not making the amounts of income that would even require paying US taxes. The movement of US assets abroad are on accounts that are already paid for (salaries previously taxed)...and the interest (say 4.5%/annum) is not likely to reach the $110k Foreign Asset Waiver. One would have place about $2.5million in an account to reach that.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedApe
So you want to first establish a non-Fixed Deposit account (to bring in your US$ @$40k) THEN withdraw that money in US$ currency and take it to a money changer to convert it to RMY? Then bring that back in to CIMB to establish your RMY Fixed Deposit account? There may very well be additional transaction fees involved in all of this (e.g. removing your regular deposit below the minimum to make it a free account) besides being dangerous security-wise. And, as you say, VITAL is only telling you what their exchange rates are...not their service charges.
A very good point. That's why I use TransferWise...you know exactly how much will net into the account before sending. I've done it many times, in many different currencies, and it always worked... often ahead of their predicted time for the deposit to appear.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road

Have anybody tried with Bitcoin? To buy from coinbase, etc and sell on Malaysia exchange? The rates seems slight higher in Malaysia, so could effectively be the best exchange rate available.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepen
Have anybody tried with Bitcoin? To buy from coinbase, etc and sell on Malaysia exchange? The rates seems slight higher in Malaysia, so could effectively be the best exchange rate available.
Why not give us an example like I did in my post # 145 yesterday where a guaranteed amount would be deposited within a stated time.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Davita
Why not give us an example like I did in my post # 145 yesterday where a guaranteed amount would be deposited within a stated time.
Ok, so now buy price on coinbase is $11281. Sell price on coins.my is MYR44473. So would be rate USDMY 3.9422. But some fees on coins.my end (not sure how much) and the bitcoin transfer fee (will vary).

So it's definitely not a fixed rate, but could turn out quite good. Especially if you keep some bitcoin to act as "buffer", so you could sell in Malaysia at the same time as you buy in US (or other exchange).
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok, so now buy price on coinbase is $11281. Sell price on coins.my is MYR44473. So would be rate USDMY 3.9422. But some fees on coins.my end (not sure how much) and the bitcoin transfer fee (will vary).

So it's definitely not a fixed rate,
but could turn out quite good. Especially if you keep some bitcoin to act as "buffer", so you could sell in Malaysia at the same time as you buy in US (or other exchange).
Re; Highlight.
That's my point...the devil is in those details and it's the same with many other forex traders. That's why I prefer TransferWise...it is a guaranteed net amount when you click 'send'.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Re; Highlight.
That's my point...the devil is in those details and it's the same with many other forex traders. That's why I prefer TransferWise...it is a guaranteed net amount when you click 'send'.
Yes, however with bitcoin there is a possibility to get better than interbank rates, because of the difference in Bitcoin prices between markeds.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, however with bitcoin there is a possibility to get better than interbank rates, because of the difference in Bitcoin prices between markeds.
Or Worse
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Or Worse
If you have a buffer so you can buy and sell at the same time then you would know and would only go ahead when you see what you get.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

From post 152:
''So you want to first establish a non-Fixed Deposit account (to bring in your US$ @$40k) THEN withdraw that money in US$ currency and take it to a money changer to convert it to RMY?''
As far as I know, you are not allowed to withdraw forex cash from a forex account in Malaysia. In Singapore it is however possible, but at a fee. CIMB SG charges for example around 0.8%-1% for withdrawals of EUR, USD, AUD, JPY or CAD
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

If you have a buffer so you can buy and sell at the same time then you would know and would only go ahead when you see what you get.
So what is that buffer...a bitcoin you bought for US$20,000 and now trying to sell for US$11,500?

Come on stepen lets face it.....your bitcoin idea to do forex is ridiculous unless you're money-laundering.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qwert
I am actually a Canadian citizen who had been working in US for many years until my recent retirement. Hopefully being also from Commonwealth country, I would not encounter the difficulty from Malaysian banks as US person.
I don't think that the Malaysian bank cares much about your Canadian passport, or the shared Commonwealth identity. My guess is that they fear more the US penalties they may face if they make a mistake in handling you as a customer, given the fact that you have clearly a relationship with the US tax authorities. And thus that the bank may face obligations to hand over certain information pertaining to you to those US tax authorities.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
As far as I know, you are not allowed to withdraw forex cash from a forex account in Malaysia. In Singapore it is however possible, but at a fee. CIMB SG charges for example around 0.8%-1% for withdrawals of EUR, USD, AUD, JPY or CAD
Yes, Malaysian banks will not do any cash transactions with foreign currencies. Expect moneychanging with extremely shitty rates. You can have a USD or EUR account but cannot withdraw in cash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.