Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Opening a Bank Account in Kuala Lumpur

Opening a Bank Account in Kuala Lumpur

Old Jun 15th 2019, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

ChrisC1955 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opening a Bank Account in Kuala Lumpur

Originally Posted by Epicurious
In the case of Maybank I guess they are assuming you have a LTSVP on account of being married to a Malaysian, in which case she/he would be your joint account holder. In any case, I heard they have a 200K minimum for new foreigner accounts now.
CIMB - try a different branch and get a different answer. MM2H holders can definitely open an account - don't see why you should be treated any differently.
indeed I do have a LSVP, which I showed them. Is it the case that only a joint account is possible? All I want is a bog standard current account into which I can pay my UK pensions.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisC1955
Opening a current account. I just went to Maybank and CIMB in KLCC. Neither can open a bank account on a Saturday.
Maybank: only Joint Account is possible for a LSVP Holder - never heard of that one!
CIMB: “Need a work permit”. I don’t work in Malaysia I work in Bangkok. “Need work permit”. I DON’T WORK IN MALAYSIA I WORK IN THAILAND!
”Come in Monday, we check with Head Office”.
Not very inspiring for a future banking relationship is it?
I'm surprised to hear that you found a CIMB branch office being open on a Saturday. I was under the impressions that all banks only operate from Monday to Friday.
Does a LSVP visa come combined with a work permit? Or does one need to apply separately to obtain a work permit (if you wanted to have one)?
Old Jun 15th 2019, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

On the contrary. LSVP forbids work although you can get that changed - apparently - if you have an offer of employment.
However that irrelevant as I work overseas.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your explanation. I just saw your message in another thread in which you explain that LSVP does not come bundled with a work permit.
I was asking this question as the bank did not ask you whether you are working in Malaysia, but merely whether you have a work permit in Malaysia.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Thanks for your explanation. I just saw your message in another thread in which you explain that LSVP does not come bundled with a work permit.
I was asking this question as the bank did not ask you whether you are working in Malaysia, but merely whether you have a work permit in Malaysia.
Actually he didn’t ask, he merely stated that I need a work permit despite being told that a) I don’t work in Malaysia, b) I work in Bangkok and lastly c) that I work in Thailand.
To me that suggests either deafness, poor English- although my wife told him in Bahasa - or a low standard of geography! � ����� ����� ����
Old Jun 16th 2019, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

WiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really nice

My guess your interaction was with the "B" weekend team at the bank. They didn't know, or... didn't want to admit they didn't know (face).
In the past I've taken the view that being over prepared with all paper work, instructions and extra copies is best. You might take extra time to be prepared, but it's better that having to walk away disappointed/pissed off because someone else didn't know the rules. Once you start raising your voice, and making big arm gesters, then you've already lost.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

The latest in this saga is that my wife (Malay, so no cross cultural confusion there) phoned CIMB and was told that "a visa" is required to open a bank account - a LSVP will not do. In modern parlance... WTF??
Old Jun 18th 2019, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Try CIMB in Bukit Bintang, this is the branch that can handle foreigners best.

But at the end I would not be surprised if you can only have a joint account with your wife.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Thanks
Old Jun 24th 2019, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

StillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisC1955
"a visa" is required to open a bank account
Correct. Any bank in Malaysia, as far as I know, will not open an account unless you have a permanent or work visa here.