British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Retirement and MM2H (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/)
-   -   MM2Hers stuck outside (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/mm2hers-stuck-outside-932385/)

Thairetired2016 May 14th 2020 8:03 pm

Re: MM2Hers stuck outside

I've just read this thread. Seems Malaysia is no friendlier than Thailand. Folks with retirement visa are locked out despite Thai family back in Thailand. Ppl who hold Thailand Elite visa for which they paid min. 20.000$ for the basic version cannot return.
May be it is time to have a bolthole in our home country?

ssoomro May 15th 2020 2:42 am

Sound advise (keep a foothold back home)... however i find it interesting .. for some reason.. I have a feeling that many of the expats who have made south east asia their retirement destination are often the kind of people that are very cost conscious and/or on a limited retirement budget. SEA is often chosen as destination with low cost of living yet good quality of life etc .. these are not the kind of people who are in position to maintain two residences. May be i am wrong and its too much of a generalization. and we are expecting too much from an alien country/culture to shelter us, when their primary aim seems to be attracting dollars and pounds ..not 'cultural exchange'..hahaha

meched55 May 15th 2020 12:22 pm

They love when we spend our money in their country. But they act like they are doing something keeping people out of their country to protect their citizens.
I applied for the MM2h visa may never fulfill that one. Canceled one trip and rescheduled it again. Doesn't look like we will make it to that one either. Moved to June 21st to Malaysia. Oh well maybe next year? Wasted 2k$ on a visa application for nothing probably?
I for one will not have a residence in the USA to go back to. That's the whole idea of mm2h I can't afford to have 2 residences and who would want to? Are you going to go back and keep checking in on it? Keep it for a rental who's going to watch out for the renter who changes their Harley oil on your living room carpet? No thanks on keeping a house 8000+ miles away.

Thairetired2016 May 15th 2020 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by meched55 (Post 12853367)
They love when we spend our money in their country. But they act like they are doing something keeping people out of their country to protect their citizens.
I applied for the MM2h visa may never fulfill that one. Canceled one trip and rescheduled it again. Doesn't look like we will make it to that one either. Moved to June 21st to Malaysia. Oh well maybe next year? Wasted 2k$ on a visa application for nothing probably?
I for one will not have a residence in the USA to go back to. That's the whole idea of mm2h I can't afford to have 2 residences and who would want to? Are you going to go back and keep checking in on it? Keep it for a rental who's going to watch out for the renter who changes their Harley oil on your living room carpet? No thanks on keeping a house 8000+ miles away.

I agree with you about spending the money bit.
Yes, a foothold back home has a price. For many years we kept a small apartment in Europe while my husband worked overseas and I lived in Thailand. We never rented it out as maintaining it was affordable.
In the meantime we sold this foothold, spent part time in Thailand, parttime in Austria. A nomadic lifestyle. C-19 measures adopted by Austria nearly left us homeless as all non-registered visitors had to leave within 3 days. We could just avoid this scenario but it was an eye opener. Thailand was still open for travellers yet my husband had a leg op a week prior to Austria closing down, and we couldn't fly back. Then Thailand closed. Now we are still in Austria. No idea when we can return to Thailand. We now consider making Austria more permanent and Thailand an escape from European winter.

hnd May 16th 2020 9:18 am

Apparently MM2H visa holders may now return to Malaysia

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2...enter-malaysia

SushiFan May 16th 2020 9:56 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 12853831)
Apparently MM2H visa holders may now return to Malaysia

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2...enter-malaysia

The article in today's Star newspaper gives a different set of requirements though: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nati...ied-virus-free
You need to get a certificate before boarding the plane to Malaysia. And even then you have to go in 14 days quarantine before being allowed to return to the place where you live in Malaysia.

tdrinker May 16th 2020 10:35 am

Many (most?) countries won't let you enter unless you're a citizen or hold a residence visa. Even holders of long-term visas such as MM2H, work visas, etc. aren't welcome.

This suggests keeping a home country bolthole. But as has been mentioned, it's costly and leaving a home property empty for extended periods whilst living overseas isn't ideal (security, maintenance, peace of mind, etc.). Renting it out or using house sitters can mitigate this, but its usefulness as a bolthole is compromised if it's unavailable for your use whenever you need it.

Further, hotels, airbnb, etc. aren't taking bookings in some (many?) countries during lockdown, so digital nomads and similar, moving around and using shortish term visas and accommodation bookings, have additional challenges.

Although not a digital nomad, I find myself in this situation, i.e. short-term visa (whilst waiting for MM2H) and airbnb accommodation, and without any home country accommodation. It's left me feeling exposed, and is a wake-up call.

I thought the "home" bit of MM2H (if / when I get it) would allow me to live in Malaysia or use it as a base to travel from, but clearly not unconditionally. I intend to look for a home country accommodation, somewhere I can go to whenever and for whatever period I want to, and possibly use it as a base. But I wonder if I'll gain the bolthole peace of mind and instead have the hassle and worry of a property that's unoccupied for long periods.

Unless I live permanently in my home country, or can get a residence visa or citizenship in another country (unlikely), there are exposures in any option.

OriginalSunshine May 16th 2020 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by ssoomro (Post 12852734)
Elsewhere .. on the Sarawak MM2H facebook page.. I read the following: From Andy Davison (of The Expat magazine and his associated agency) regarding MM2H'ers currently locked out.

"URGENT I have received information from my government contact that they will let MM2H visa holders into the country in limited numbers. However, they need all their names as soon as possible. I have no more details at this point. If you have an MM2H visa (only MM2hers at this time) and are locked out, please email me your name; nationality to [email protected] or my Whatsapp at 60 123059492, as soon as possible (note - I need contact details - email or phone). I will forward them to the relevant person. "

May be helpful to someone here..

very helpful thank you! I passed to my friend who had her son stuck

RobSg May 16th 2020 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by tdrinker (Post 12853846)
Many (most?) countries won't let you enter unless you're a citizen or hold a residence visa. Even holders of long-term visas such as MM2H, work visas, etc. aren't welcome.

This suggests keeping a home country bolthole. But as has been mentioned, it's costly and leaving a home property empty for extended periods whilst living overseas isn't ideal (security, maintenance, peace of mind, etc.). Renting it out or using house sitters can mitigate this, but its usefulness as a bolthole is compromised if it's unavailable for your use whenever you need it.

Further, hotels, airbnb, etc. aren't taking bookings in some (many?) countries during lockdown, so digital nomads and similar, moving around and using shortish term visas and accommodation bookings, have additional challenges.

Although not a digital nomad, I find myself in this situation, i.e. short-term visa (whilst waiting for MM2H) and airbnb accommodation, and without any home country accommodation. It's left me feeling exposed, and is a wake-up call.

I thought the "home" bit of MM2H (if / when I get it) would allow me to live in Malaysia or use it as a base to travel from, but clearly not unconditionally. I intend to look for a home country accommodation, somewhere I can go to whenever and for whatever period I want to, and possibly use it as a base. But I wonder if I'll gain the bolthole peace of mind and instead have the hassle and worry of a property that's unoccupied for long periods.

Unless I live permanently in my home country, or can get a residence visa or citizenship in another country (unlikely), there are exposures in any option.

As one who occasionally looks at this forum from Washington state, I'm surprised that some of you are surprised that you are stuck outside. I was part of the MM2H for a short time, and relinquished it to retire in the Pacific Northwest.

It's the same in the US and Canada. I live right on the border, and Canada is a mile from me across the bay. Half my neighborhood are Canadians who have vacation homes here or are dual citizens. If they happened to be in Canada when the border closed 2 months ago, they were stuck there also. A dual citizen can cross with some difficulty but must commit to a 2 week quarantine.

ssoomro May 17th 2020 6:16 am

The news article below, does not mention the requirement for pre-testing. As always if you get on a plane..you are on your way :P .... as for the testing in KL and quarantine is concerned, that is going to happen.. even if you are a citizen. this is a welcome development to some degree, showing that MoT has realized the jeopardy to MM2H program (or may be some sympathy with the stranded folks)..The cost of 2 weeks quarantine should be less that being stuck somewhere in Europe (unless its your own pad) for 2 Weeks.

All the best to the returnees, kindly share your experience here, if you can. ...

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/ca...cG6OPtMR2JD25k

RedApe May 17th 2020 7:36 am

Originally Posted by ssoomro (Post 12854192)
The news article below, does not mention the requirement for pre-testing. As always if you get on a plane..you are on your way :P .... as for the testing in KL and quarantine is concerned, that is going to happen.. even if you are a citizen. this is a welcome development to some degree, showing that MoT has realized the jeopardy to MM2H program (or may be some sympathy with the stranded folks)..The cost of 2 weeks quarantine should be less that being stuck somewhere in Europe (unless its your own pad) for 2 Weeks.

All the best to the returnees, kindly share your experience here, if you can. ...

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/ca...cG6OPtMR2JD25k

But this article from the Minister of Defense is quite explicit that MM2H recipients must undergo a Covid-19 test BEFORE returning- which must be NEGATIVE.

Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) members who wish to return to Malaysia from overseas must first test negative for Covid-19 before flying home, said Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri. The Defence Minister said MM2H members must observe strict standard operating procedures, and must undergo the 14-day quarantine upon arrival at Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

"The government will allow MM2H members stranded overseas to come back. But before flying home, they must go through a health check and must be tested negative for Covid-19. They must also undergo the 14 day quarantine at the quarantine centres, and bear the costs of the quarantine accommodation themselves," he said.

Ismail Sabri, who is also Senior Minister (Security Cluster), said MM2H members would be allowed to enter Malaysia starting tomorrow (May 17).
They don't provide guidance about what sort of tests will be sufficient or what companies or organizations will be authorized. Clearly airlines will not allow the return of MM2H holders unless they have a test that will be accepted by the Immigration Ministry. So while they claim that they will accept returns "starting tomorrow" that really cannot be done until more guidance us giving o both the returnee and the airlines.

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2...ve-coming-home

RedApe May 17th 2020 7:42 am

There seems to be some dispute over whether a person placed in hotel quarantine can be charged MORE than RM150/night for the basic services (Room, Housekeeping, Food, Laundry).

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2...r-rating-nsttv

ssoomro May 18th 2020 2:00 am

Interesting... I was under the false impression that ambiguous, contradictory and opaque statements were the monopoly of Trump Administration only .. but looks like Malay Ministers are in the race for top placement as well :) .. Minister of Defense is taking the most hard line position here... nevertheless.. I think returnees should stay in close contact with the airlines, as they will know the actual requirements at any given time... The ministerial statement quoted do not seem to clarify as to MYR 150/night limit is for ALL Quarantined ppl or just for Malays? Hopefully some forum members will take up the offer and return and update the group here .. All the best

Epicurious May 18th 2020 4:45 am

My interpretation of the various policy statements issued by the Govt. is that Malaysians returning to the country will be granted accommodation with a notional value of up to RM150 per night. If they want something fancier then the extra will come from their own pockets. Foreigners returning will pay the whole cost themselves. So, If you want 5 star then it can probably be arranged, but it'll cost you.

tdrinker May 18th 2020 5:24 am

According to Malaysian Airlines:Upon arrival, passengers will undergo screening by the Malaysian health authorities before being sent to designated government quarantine centres around Selangor and Negeri Sembilan.

This requirement applies to:
  • Malaysian citizens (no cost to be charged)
  • Diplomats, diplomatic and consular staff (A minimum cost of MYR150 to be borne by respective individuals)
  • Foreigners including Permanent residents and dependents of Long Term Pass holders (a minimum cost of MYR150 to be borne by respective individuals)
What's not said is how the accommodation is selected. Can you pick from a list before you fly, so you can check room size, facilities (internet, English TV channels, menu, etc.), read TripAdvisor reviews, cost, etc.? Or is it assigned on arrival? The room quality and facilities will make a big difference to the quarantine experience. Unclear whether you can order outside food deliveries. Would be worth packing some non-perishable foodstuffs, books, entertainment, etc.

Hers's a couple of experiences:

https://www.malaymail.com/news/life/...antine/1857266

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2...ine-experience