Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

MM2H - Use an agent OR do it yourself?

MM2H - Use an agent OR do it yourself?

Old Dec 19th 2014, 5:45 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default MM2H - Use an agent OR do it yourself?

I think those that have used agents usually recommend doing so, and those that have done it themselves usually recommend that

I think it's just a matter of personal choice.

When we applied back in 2009 I think, there was a cheaper agent option of Semi DIY, which we did, and we were very happy with that service. These days, that option is not available, so it's a question of whether you want to figure out how to do it yourself, or to pay an agent to do it for you. Simple as that.

I think if one is already living in Malaysia or close by in Singapore, there is probably an argument for doing it yourself.

If one is maybe living somewhere far afield (UK, USA perhaps) and possibly working hard 5 or 6 days a week and not the time or energy to suss everything out, then using an agent can be an attraction.

Sure, you still need to do a certain amount of work, documentation, even if you use an agent. But there is a certain comfort factor knowing that there's someone in the country keeping an eye on proceedings and maybe chasing up with MM2H office (not so easy to do if you are halfway across the planet).

But, at the end of the day, it is a personal choice.