Mm2h and two passports

Old Jan 17th 2019, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road
Default Mm2h and two passports

With visa in one passport can you enter with the other passport, either to get 90 days, or show the visa in the other passport and get 10 years.? Or will the fingerprint scanner cause problem if using the other passport?
My passport fills up too quickly, so I'm planning to get a second passport so I can keep the passport with 10 year mm2h visa a bit longer without renewing.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mm2h and two passports

Originally Posted by stepen
With visa in one passport can you enter with the other passport, either to get 90 days, or show the visa in the other passport and get 10 years.? Or will the fingerprint scanner cause problem if using the other passport?
My passport fills up too quickly, so I'm planning to get a second passport so I can keep the passport with 10 year mm2h visa a bit longer without renewing.
Your MM2H visa mentions the passport number it is associated with. If you request a new passport your home country will most likely cancel your current passport. I don't think that they will allow you to hold two passports. Your new passport will have a new number, which does not corresponds with the number on your MM2H visa. So I fear that your plan will not work.
The country I'm from offers two types of passports: one regular one, and one "business" one. The business passport has more pages for stamps, as the government assumes that business(wo)men travel more than regular citizens. I'm glad I selected that option, even though it cost me a bit more.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

I can get a second passport from Norway. It's valid for 2 years only.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

It is certainly possible to hold two British passports, both with full validity I have done so for sometime, you have to give a good reason for doing so. I have LTSVP here, and use the passport with that in it to leave and enter Malaysia[1], I did transfer it too my new passport this year because that has the longer validity. I may well not renew my second passport when it expires next year as my travel will be down to normal levels by then.

[1] Although immigration have seen both my passports I'd not want to try travelling in and out on the older one relying on a visa in the new one.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley
It is certainly possible to hold two British passports, both with full validity I have done so for sometime, you have to give a good reason for doing so. I have LTSVP here, and use the passport with that in it to leave and enter Malaysia[1], I did transfer it too my new passport this year because that has the longer validity. I may well not renew my second passport when it expires next year as my travel will be down to normal levels by then.

[1] Although immigration have seen both my passports I'd not want to try travelling in and out on the older one relying on a visa in the new one.
Is wonder if there would be any issue to enter Malaysia on the second passport (without visa) when staying for less than 3 months
Old Jan 17th 2019, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

I think they will transfer your visa into the new passport and keep the renewal date from the old one. There is a procedure for this transfer. You would then have to renew the visa at the end of the original 10-year term (5 years in Sarawak). This is usually done for cancelled passports, though...not for a "duplicate" one. I think they'd have issues with that.

Apply For Extension - MM2H Official Portal

Do these "duplicate" passports have the same reference number? This could be a curse or a blessing. Do people switch passports when they go through an airline terminal before entering a country and suggest that they are coming from the nation of origin. Flight info is on the entry card - and sworn. I think that once you began an international journey from your homeland you'd have to (legally) keep to one passport.

I'm sure that some people have accidentally gone through immigration in the past and gotten the wrong stamp (a 90 Day instead of the date of their visa written in). I think you'd have to leave before 90 days are up (unless you get it fixed) and then return and enunciate that you are on MM2H.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

Originally Posted by RedApe
Do these "duplicate" passports have the same reference number?
Mine do not they are to all intents totally separate.

This could be a curse or a blessing. Do people switch passports when they go through an airline terminal
In the case where you need/have a visa in the passport then you'd need to enter the destination on that passport, in the past I've left Malaysia on one to enter India on the other for that reason. Both visas are now in the same passport.

Old Jan 17th 2019, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

simon2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stepen
I can get a second passport from Norway. It's valid for 2 years only.
If there is matching of fingerprints then the customs agent would be aware that you are trying to enter under a different country passport. While this is likely legal provided you are meeting the tourist requirements of the 90 day visa, the questions the customs agent would be thinking is why. (eg do you have a criminal record under the old passport or using a different passport for some illegal activity). Those questions are not valid in your case but you may find yourself taking hours getting through customs while you are investigated.
If there is no matching of fingerprints and passports then if entering under a tourist visa they would likely ask the normal tourist questions such as how long are you staying, where are you staying, how are you supporting yourself financially and want to see your airline departure ticket.

Old Jan 18th 2019, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I've had to do anything like this was when my passport got wet and I was told by Singapore immigration that I needed to get a new Passport at the US Embassy. They also wrote some sort of comment in the old one near the entry stamp. So I had two, one cancelled with my entry stamp, and the other, new one, "clean" with no stamp. Different numbers. I had to show both upon exit.

In Malaysia they always flip through and see if the exit stamp exists from the previous country.I think they check that with what you write down as the last point of embarkation. I would imagine if there is a mismatch they'd get suspicious. The only time there would not be a mismatch would be if you were coming from your home country (or some place that is borderless- like the EU). So you could switch from one passport in the home country to another but doing it "on the road" might be a problem.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

On a similar vein. We all know we can transfer our unused Visa "time" from one passport to a newly issued one by taking various documents and the cancelled and new passport to Immigration in PJ.

But what if you are on the Sarawak M2H? For example, you fly to KL to get your new passport at the British Embassy. They take your old one, process the paperwork and take your fees. When the embassy issues your new one it has no Sarawak MM2H Visa. You can't get it in PJ as that is not the appropriate immigration office. So you fly back to Kuching...Oooops. You have no visa in your new passport, and your Sarawak M2H is in your old, cancelled, one. Will they let you in?
Old Jan 18th 2019, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

For example, you fly to KL to get your new passport at the British Embassy.
It's all done by post now, download a form attach required photo then DHL to UK wait ~ a month get new passport back. I have to say that bit all worked splendidly.

Old Jan 18th 2019, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Unfortunately, I'm American and I have to apply directly at the US Embassy. So the via mail situation won't resolve the issue of how I'm supposed to return to Sarawak on a cancelled passport (though carrying a new one). I guess I'll have to ask at Sarawak Immigration.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simon2017
If there is matching of fingerprints then the customs agent would be aware that you are trying to enter under a different country passport. While this is likely legal provided you are meeting the tourist requirements of the 90 day visa, the questions the customs agent would be thinking is why. (eg do you have a criminal record under the old passport or using a different passport for some illegal activity). Those questions are not valid in your case but you may find yourself taking hours getting through customs while you are investigated.
If there is no matching of fingerprints and passports then if entering under a tourist visa they would likely ask the normal tourist questions such as how long are you staying, where are you staying, how are you supporting yourself financially and want to see your airline departure ticket.
In my case it would be both passports from the same country. I assume there might be some questions, but also it's not too abnormal to change passports once in a while and the offiser might not think that's strange. But it might be unusual to enter as a tourist when you have a visa, although that's reported to happen once I a while when the officers don't see the Mm2h visa and assume your entering without visa.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have two passports due to frequent business travel and simultaneous visa applications.
Sometimes I used them alternatively which was good for visa runs :-).
Anyway, I don't think there is anything prohibiting you to enter MY on another pp (one w/o MM2H stamp) but you will of course only get the 90 days tourist stay allowance.
And - if you do this, don't show the other pp as well as this will result in you getting an entry stamp with short stay validity, just enough time to get the MM2H stamp transferred to that one. I do not think that you are allowed to have two valid PP's with valid MM2H visas.
As for fingerprints etc, they will probably only follow up on this if they have a reason for it. So enter and exit with the same pp.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the feedback!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.