MM2H or Singapore PR?

Old Jul 16th 2013, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

RobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really nice
Default MM2H or Singapore PR?

I posted this on another forum, but it's an important decision. I'm sorry to be long winded here, but the decision is important. Feedback from other MM2H or people that know both Singapore and Malaysia is appreciated.

I was here on this forum about a year or more. I applied for MM2H, got accepted, and now have the visa. A little about my options and myself.

I am 66 year old American, and have decided to retire. I was busily engaged in teaching for 42 years, more than half of them in Singapore which is where I live now. With US Medicare and the desire to be closer to my own family and culture, I now desire to have a permanent home base in the States, in Washington, near the Canadian border. The house prices are reasonable, and my close Canadian friends that I'm currently living with in Singapore will be in nearby Vancouver.

I am a Singapore PR, but I also got the Malaysian 10 year retirement visa called the MM2H. Here are my options, and your frank suggestions are welcome. especially since some of you are near retirement also. All the options involve freeing up money from accounts that can be used to buy a house.

Option 1 was the one that I was initially favoring. It involves giving up MM2H and withdrawing my RM150,000 from a Malaysian fixed deposit account. I would keep my Singapore PR for one more year because this place has been home since 1988, and it's hard to shake off. Also, the remaining money in my Medisave account is getting 4% interest which I look at as a darn good bank account. My reasoning for giving up MM2H is that in the future I can still stay in Malaysia for 3 months on a tourist visa and probably accomplish the same as if I were MM2H. MM2H only makes sense if Malaysia became my home base. Also, is the MM2H visa really as secure as the Singapore PR?

Option 2 is to give up my Singapore PR and keep the MM2H. My reasoning is that I think that the idea of living in Singapore as a retiree makes little sense. I can do it, but where is the quality of life? The MM2H is a long term tourist visa, but it is maybe more certain that my Singapore PR. I question whether Singapore will renew my PR given the fact that in the future I will not be contributing taxes to Singapore and will only be living here perhaps 3 months a year.

Option 3 is to give them both up. However, I still feel an emotional attachment to SE Asia, and I would like to cut the cord only after I develop a great emotional attachment to the US.

I'd appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Rob
Old Jul 16th 2013, 6:30 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MM2H or Singapore PR?

I think you have already answered your own questions.

With Singapore, who knows if they will even renew your PR. You know what Singapore is like.

With Malaysia, so easy lah. If you don't need or want to be in south east Asia for most of the year (and I think the answer is affirmative?) then give it up if you want to use the money. If you don't need the money, keep the MM2H visa. I think Davita has mentioned on BE and also the other place that he keeps the MM2H visa as a kind of back-up though he doesn't live here.

My 2 ringgits worth.