MM2H, residency and tax

Old May 17th 2016, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MM2H, residency and tax

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right thread, but questuon regarding dependants visa.

Someone warned me that if one of my dependants, such as my wife, left Malaysia for more than 6 months, she could have problems coming back in or may have to pay a fine for each day out of Malaysia, similar to what they do in Dubai. Is this true?
Old May 17th 2016, 6:45 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abdulawwal
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right thread, but questuon regarding dependants visa.

Someone warned me that if one of my dependants, such as my wife, left Malaysia for more than 6 months, she could have problems coming back in or may have to pay a fine for each day out of Malaysia, similar to what they do in Dubai. Is this true?
Hi Abdul, never heard of that in regards to MM2H, but I guess you're on a working visa?
Old May 17th 2016, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Working visa.

Just doubt been placed in my head, as someone said if that rule applies in Dubai, it probably applies here too.

But I checked with immigration just now, and they said it's no problem here. As long as the principles pass is still valid.
Old May 17th 2016, 7:25 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abdulawwal
Yep. Working visa.

Just doubt been placed in my head, as someone said if that rule applies in Dubai, it probably applies here too.

But I checked with immigration just now, and they said it's no problem here. As long as the principles pass is still valid.
Well, that's good to know! Thanks for posting back.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 6:17 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

So.....are there any disadvantages to being tax-resident in Malaysia?
Old Sep 5th 2016, 7:30 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently filling up the forms relating to Certificate of Residency here in Malaysia and the Double Taxation Treaty Relief form from HMRC UK (which seems to be a bit of a pig... the form I mean.... not HMRC they are lovely of course )

I am trying to answer the questions on the HMRC form with honesty of course but they do seem rather ambiguous, or is it just me?

The first problem question is 2b
When did you become liable to pay tax there? (Malaysia)
But I don't pay tax here <doh>
I have put the date of the first Malaysian tax year where I hit the 183 day mark. Does that seem correct to you?

But now I am stuck on number 7.
Do you receive any special tax benefits in your country of residence which mean that you pay no tax there on the UK income that you are including on the form?
Well, surely that is "spill the beans" time, isn't it? Of course there are tax advantages or why else would I be filling up this *#&(^### form?

Has anyone got any words of wisdom for me? Neon?? Help!!!!
Old Sep 5th 2016, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I'm currently filling up the forms relating to Certificate of Residency here in Malaysia and the Double Taxation Treaty Relief form from HMRC UK (which seems to be a bit of a pig... the form I mean.... not HMRC they are lovely of course )

I am trying to answer the questions on the HMRC form with honesty of course but they do seem rather ambiguous, or is it just me?

The first problem question is 2b
When did you become liable to pay tax there? (Malaysia)
But I don't pay tax here <doh>
I have put the date of the first Malaysian tax year where I hit the 183 day mark. Does that seem correct to you?

But now I am stuck on number 7.
Do you receive any special tax benefits in your country of residence which mean that you pay no tax there on the UK income that you are including on the form?
Well, surely that is "spill the beans" time, isn't it? Of course there are tax advantages or why else would I be filling up this *#&(^### form?

Has anyone got any words of wisdom for me? Neon?? Help!!!!
Hi bb. First question about when you first became liable to pay tax in MY really depends on how much tax you are trying to recover. If you are only now starting to draw on your British pension is there any point proving you were resident several years ago? The correct answer in your case will be the year when you first first claim to have served 183 days in country. But for anyone who bought a property before serving a full 183 days the answer might be the purchase date as that is when you were given a tax number. Remember though that HMRC will require proof of tax residency so if you are going down the tax number route you will need to ensure the letter setting out your TRN is dated and ask the helpful people in George Town if they are happy to countersign the DT-Individual form on that basis. In other words leave the date blank until you go in and get a view from the MY authorities.

Actually you are liable to pay taxes in MY it is just that your tax burden in zero at the moment.

No you do not receive any special tax benefit. Your tax liability is the same as any Malaysian national, they don't pay tax on foreign earnings either. This question really only applies to the super rich and multi-nationals that are able to negotiate a deal with HMRC. For the rest of us there are no concessions.

Fear not you are not alone in suffering the frustration of these forms. The air was blue when I first started the process. And despite my best efforts to show Mrs N what to do gained an even deeper shade of blue when she tried.

Last edited by NeonHippy; Sep 5th 2016 at 9:10 am. Reason: Clarification
Old Sep 5th 2016, 12:08 pm

Thanks Neon. You are a star.

Ok I get the gist of it. But now that brings another conundrum as I have had two tax numbers it seems hehe. Well, when OUR property was transferred to ME, despite the fact it has always been my (our) property they gave me a new tax number

Oh gosh...I might sit on this again and deliberate. My brain hurts.