MM2H, residency and tax

Old Jan 20th 2016, 8:41 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MM2H, residency and tax

Thanks guys. That's really helpful.

So they need copies of even the blank pages of passport? That's a bit of a bore.

Neon, out of interest, where did you park? Fort Cornwallis? Beach Street is such a nightmare for parking.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Thanks guys. That's really helpful.

So they need copies of even the blank pages of passport? That's a bit of a bore.

Neon, out of interest, where did you park? Fort Cornwallis? Beach Street is such a nightmare for parking.
I'm an early bird so I drove to Beach Street turning right into Beach Street from the round-a-bout. If you drive past HSBC there is a car park on the left about 100 yards further on. At 10:30 there were still about 5 spaces left so I just drove straight in. If you go in a bit earlier, there is a food court right next to the car park for a cheap breakfast
Old May 1st 2016, 3:01 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
The clerk will give you a form to fill in of course but the most important thing to take with you is a copy of every page of your passport.
Now that Penang Immigration doesn't always stamp and, from my experience these days, prefers not to, how does that wash with the Tax Office I wonder

Looking at the passport one would think I have been here for months when in fact I've been here n there and getting no stamps in passport.

One way to find out I suppose.
Old May 2nd 2016, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Now that Penang Immigration doesn't always stamp and, from my experience these days, prefers not to, how does that wash with the Tax Office I wonder

Looking at the passport one would think I have been here for months when in fact I've been here n there and getting no stamps in passport.

When I was at the Penang Immigration Office they suggested that I keep a spreadsheet record of entries into and out of the country with the days here calculated. I have attached a copy of my spreadsheet for you to use. Simply replace the days in and out from your records.

This could be important if Penang are not stamping your passport as there will be stamps showing your arrival in foreign parts but not your return.

BTW, returning from Cambodia last week through KLIA2 the immigration officers refused to let us use the diplomatic channel unlike KLIA and Penang.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
Days in Malaysia.xls (27.5 KB, 148 views)
Old May 2nd 2016, 1:37 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
When I was at the Penang Immigration Office they suggested that I keep a spreadsheet record of entries into and out of the country with the days here calculated. I have attached a copy of my spreadsheet for you to use. Simply replace the days in and out from your records.

This could be important if Penang are not stamping your passport as there will be stamps showing your arrival in foreign parts but not your return.

BTW, returning from Cambodia last week through KLIA2 the immigration officers refused to let us use the diplomatic channel unlike KLIA and Penang.
That is very useful, NH, but I always thought the day of departure AND the day of arrival were both counted as being present in Malaysia, the logic being that this is how they are counted on a Malaysian visa.
Old May 2nd 2016, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
That is very useful, NH, but I always thought the day of departure AND the day of arrival were both counted as being present in Malaysia, the logic being that this is how they are counted on a Malaysian visa.
IVV, I can't comment on how Malaysia counts the days, I've not seen it written down anywhere in English although I'm sure the rule exists. In the UK it matters to HMRC where you are at midnight so that is what I used. I would not be surprised if the accounting rules for immigration are different to the rules for taxation.

Using your method would give an extra day towards the total with each trip, using my method may add some caution but will avoid any unnecessary delays and confusion when you go to the tax office.
Old May 2nd 2016, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

...but I always thought the day of departure AND the day of arrival were both counted as being present in Malaysia...
Correct, both days are counted.
Old May 2nd 2016, 10:05 am

Thanks Neon. Very useful.
Old May 14th 2016, 5:51 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

When you travel out of Malaysia I believe most countries you visit will stamp your passport with your arrival and departure date. The exception is probably the UK assuming you have a British passport. So you can use these stamps to record your movements.
As you suggest Malaysia Immigration may not stamp your passport if you have MM2H, but they will do so on request.

JC3
Old May 14th 2016, 6:15 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
When you travel out of Malaysia I believe most countries you visit will stamp your passport with your arrival and departure date. The exception is probably the UK assuming you have a British passport. So you can use these stamps to record your movements.
As you suggest Malaysia Immigration may not stamp your passport if you have MM2H, but they will do so on request.

JC3
I don't think anywhere in the EU will stamp an EU member state's passport.
Old May 14th 2016, 6:32 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anywhere in the EU will stamp an EU member state's passport.
That sounds right to me. It would probably be illegal to do so.

JC3
Old May 14th 2016, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

I can confirm that I never get my PP stamped when entering Schengen countries.
For EU but non-Schengen, I am not sure but I will find out this summer.
As for counting number of days of stay in Malaysia, the PP is scanned when leaving and entering MY but I do not know if the data obtained is linked to the tax authority....
Old May 14th 2016, 9:40 am

If you have a chip in your passport, Australia doesn't stamp you in either. When I went there in March, I got no stamps in passport whatsoever (in Malaysia and Aus). According to my passport, it's as if I've never been there. This sure confused Putrajaya with my new MM2H.
Old May 14th 2016, 10:23 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

If you have a chip in your passport, Australia doesn't stamp you in either...

That's interesting.

I'd love to know what the various tax authorities actually know about one's travel movements, days spent in/out of the country etc, and whether immigration data is accessible by the inland revenue. It looks like the HMRC's ability to trawl data is ever increasing...

See: What does the taxman know about you, your finances and your lifestyle? - Telegraph

JC3
Old May 14th 2016, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

I know form some Australians here that the various AU authorities have linked up their systems with immigration so that they know if someone is out of the country long enough to lose certain benefits.
A simple passport scan would therefore suffice, no need for old fashioned staps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.