MM2H Medical Insurance

Old Aug 5th 2015, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MM2H Medical Insurance

I emailed to the AIA Customer Service to inquire on the Waiting Period for MM2H and got the following reply, and I quote ...

"Please be informed that if as a foreigner you may purchase insurance from us provided that you have been living in Malaysia for a minimum of 6 months and the signing of the insurance policy has to be done on the grounds of Malaysia."

Sigh....
Old Aug 5th 2015, 4:55 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roystevenung
I emailed to the AIA Customer Service to inquire on the Waiting Period for MM2H and got the following reply, and I quote ...

"Please be informed that if as a foreigner you may purchase insurance from us provided that you have been living in Malaysia for a minimum of 6 months and the signing of the insurance policy has to be done on the grounds of Malaysia."

Sigh....
Hi
However AIA will in fact cover MM2Hers immediately (no six months waiting period) as they did me and my wife - so the information supplied to Roy by AIA above is incorrect.
My AIA rep has reconfirmed this to me - see my previous post

JC3
Old Aug 5th 2015, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
"Please note there is no waiting period for AIA insurance application for MM2H residents".

JC3
The clue here seems to be in the words "for MM2H residents" which is being interpreted for asteward as a requirement to live in MY for six months first. Rather difficult if you cannot stay for six months without the MM2H. AIA are not using joined up thinking IMHO
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:48 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
The clue here seems to be in the words "for MM2H residents" which is being interpreted for asteward as a requirement to live in MY for six months first. Rather difficult if you cannot stay for six months without the MM2H. AIA are not using joined up thinking IMHO
I think it's more of a case that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. So there is probably a six-month minimum residency requirement for 'foreigners' , but no such requirement for 'foreigners holding an MM2H visa' (or an MM2H Conditional Approval Letter, that oddly very often carries more weight than the visa itself).

One can't expect Customer Service people to know all the ins and outs I guess. I've found trying to do almost anything in Malaysia by email or telephone a faff. It's often far more efficient to go to an office and talk to someone about your needs. It certainly helps get around 'computer says no' problems, to get help completing confusing forms, photocopying and so on.

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Aug 5th 2015 at 6:53 am.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
Hi
However AIA will in fact cover MM2Hers immediately (no six months waiting period) as they did me and my wife - so the information supplied to Roy by AIA above is incorrect.
My AIA rep has reconfirmed this to me - see my previous post

JC3
The only way to know whether the Waiting Period applies to MM2Hers is to get admitted immediately (for fever or whatnot) after getting the application approved.

The Waiting Period & Specific Illness is written in the brochure & policy document.

Unless you see a clause in the policy that specifically says the Waiting Period is not applicable to MM2Hers, then what your agent tells you is the truth.

The insurer is bounded by the insurance policy contract and not by what the agent says.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...MFv9Dcmmc4hHUg
Old Aug 5th 2015, 11:21 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by roystevenung
The only way to know whether the Waiting Period applies to MM2Hers is to get admitted immediately (for fever or whatnot) after getting the application approved.

The Waiting Period & Specific Illness is written in the brochure & policy document.

Unless you see a clause in the policy that specifically says the Waiting Period is not applicable to MM2Hers, then what your agent tells you is the truth.

The insurer is bounded by the insurance policy contract and not by what the agent says.
I agree, unless you have it in writing, it's hard to be sure what's what.

My advice regarding medical insurance at the start of this thread (post #4) was to “Ask loads of questions to ensure you will get what you think you will. It's a bit of a minefield.” Perhaps I should have added "And get it in writing".

In our case, we took out an AIA Excelcare Plus and Medicare Plus policy, now superseded by AlA A-Plus Med.

Our policy brochure clearly stated:

When does my cover start?

Your cover starts from the date on which your completed and signed application form is approved by us and when we have received the full premium due.

Is there a waiting period?
Yes. (there is a waiting period)… before coverage takes effect:

a) 120 days for tonsils, adenoids, hernia or a disease related to the female generative organs.
b) 60 days for out-patient Cancer Treatment
c) 30 days for out-patient Kidney Dialysis and for all other illnesses

I expect the latest A-Plus Med policy operates in a similar way.

But I don't entirely agree that “The insurer is bounded by the insurance policy contract and not by what the agent says”

The law of Malaysia is mainly based on the common law legal system. Legally binding contracts do not just apply to contracts set out in writing. Under the eyes of the law verbal contracts are just as legally binding as written contracts. So if you accepted an offer made by an insurance agent based on incorrect or misleading information told to you by that agent, that negatively affected your claim, you could sue.

Far better to agree everything in writing of course, with an additional signed side-letter on the insurer's headed paper if anything is particularly worrying you or unclear.

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Aug 5th 2015 at 11:23 am.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes we could sue but without proof, it would be hard to win the case.

Then again in Malaysia everything is bolehlah!
Old Oct 5th 2015, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Has anybody (MM2H-er), living in Malaysia, experience with AIG for medical insurance? Is it a good company?
The agency which I'm using for my MM2H application is suggesting that I should take my medical insurance from AIG.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute

The agency probably has an employee who is also an AIG insurance agent - many people are also insurance agents as 2nd job.
I was with ING which then merged with AIA... OK but not the best, but does have an up to 100 years extension after 70.
However, these days Allianz seems to be the best available with their Enhanced Medical Card. (NO i am not an agent for them :-) ).
Old Oct 6th 2015, 10:35 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Has anybody (MM2H-er), living in Malaysia, experience with AIG for medical insurance? Is it a good company?
The agency which I'm using for my MM2H application is suggesting that I should take my medical insurance from AIG.
When buying medical insurance for my wife and I, I compared policies from seven different insurers including things like outpatient cancer pa, annual limit and lifetime limit and which hospitals were on their approved list. For example, at that time Gleneagles Hospital in Penang was not on Kurnia’s approved list.
I found it a worthwhile exercise putting the annual premiums and main benefits into a spreadsheet and then totaling up the annual premiums we would need to pay over ten years. Costs typically go up in age bands which can vary by insurer, and can jump very significantly. For the two of us, the ten year premium total varied between RM40,000 and RM85,000 for similar cover.

JC3
Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

meinkl and JC3, thank you for your responses. Obviously I need to give this topic more attention and thought than I did until now. One of the things I need to investigate is how easily I will be able to change if I select an insurance company and discover e.g. within one year that I prefer to use another company.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
meinkl and JC3, thank you for your responses. Obviously I need to give this topic more attention and thought than I did until now. One of the things I need to investigate is how easily I will be able to change if I select an insurance company and discover e.g. within one year that I prefer to use another company.
I am currently investigating whether i can move from AIA to Allianz, but, over 60 and having utilised my medical cover a few times in the past 20 years i very much doubt I can without having restrictions placed upon the cover, or pay even higher premiums than i do now.
If under 50, no adverse medical history, then i am sure one could do so without too many problems/costs.
Beware medical cover that also has some insurance payout attached as you will likely loose that part. Agents like selling them as they get more commission.
I suggest you try going to the main offices of these companies rather than have agents sell you whatever they think you want to hear... bit like buying DVDs.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:29 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meinkl
I suggest you try going to the main offices of these companies rather than have agents sell you whatever they think you want to hear... bit like buying DVDs.
Pros and cons to this. I am with Allianz and went to them direct. I haven't actually claimed for myself, but did many claims for Mr bb and it's really a pain in the bum doing the claims via the main office. You need to get the claims filled out and into the main office. Well, that is OK if you are well yourself And yes I do (and he did) have the Card which should make life easier but.... not always the case with variable limits to consider and work out.

I can see some advantages now (retrospectively) of using an agent and wish I had done that. If you're at home and taking care of someone, it's got to be easier.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Pros and cons to this. I am with Allianz and went to them direct. I haven't actually claimed for myself, but did many claims for Mr bb and it's really a pain in the bum doing the claims via the main office. You need to get the claims filled out and into the main office. Well, that is OK if you are well yourself And yes I do (and he did) have the Card which should make life easier but.... not always the case with variable limits to consider and work out.

I can see some advantages now (retrospectively) of using an agent and wish I had done that. If you're at home and taking care of someone, it's got to be easier.
Once you had made the claim, you may photocopy the claim form and blank out those non recurring details and keep it as a spare form.

That way you dont waste time filling up the claim form on repetitive info.

Even if it was bought at the branch, for life insurance, they will still assign you an agent.

His/her job is to help you with the claims, not only earning commission.

Yes, if we are bed ridden, it would complicate matters of claiming and those claims have limited time to be submitted (3 mths).
Old Oct 7th 2015, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Sorry.. misinterpreted.... I meant get advice from their offices PRIOR to deciding which one.
Once signed up, then, most certainly, use the card for admissions and your agent for additional claims.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.