MM2H - How to apply

Old Jan 26th 2017, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

heliaviator has a brilliant futureheliaviator has a brilliant futureheliaviator has a brilliant futureheliaviator has a brilliant futureheliaviator has a brilliant futureheliaviator has a brilliant futureheliaviator has a brilliant future
Default Re: MM2H - How to apply

Originally Posted by heliaviator
You may well be correct on the form. Interesting, as I don't have a spouse! I'm sure I read somewhere that a friend will do...I got my friendly bank manager to fill it in. I will most likely be going down to the MM2H office next Thursday as I now have all the required documents to hand but am off to Penang for a few days.
No comment from the lady on the desk on how I had filled out the confusing security bond form, so I guess getting a random person to complete para 2 is OK if you don't have a spouse. RM1,500 (refundable) for the bond was collected in cash at the MM2H Immigration office on level 10 along with RM90 per year for the visa which is valid until my passport expires in 7 years.

The process took 4 months but was painless. I just provided all the documents as laid out on the MM2H webpage and the visa was issued as advertised. No agent required, but if I had not already been living locally I think I would probably have used a reasonably priced one.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Jane66 is an unknown quantity at this point

No comment from the lady on the desk on how I had filled out the confusing security bond form, so I guess getting a random person to complete para 2 is OK if you don't have a spouse. RM1,500 (refundable) for the bond was collected in cash at the MM2H Immigration office on level 10 along with RM90 per year for the visa which is valid until my passport expires in 7 years.

The process took 4 months but was painless. I just provided all the documents as laid out on the MM2H webpage and the visa was issued as advertised. No agent required, but if I had not already been living locally I think I would probably have used a reasonably priced one.
Great to hear everything went smoothly on your side. Thank you so much also for your valuable information with regards to the Security Bond dealing etc.

We didn't use agent too. It was all right on the first stage of the MM2H doc. submission part. However it was rather a 'disaster' to contact Ministry via email on several of our enquieries after the approval. First it was the conditional approval letter that didn't reach us, then we had several emails highlighting on the matter along with our other questions, it took several weeks for them just to email a copy of the conditional approval letter. Hence today we are still puzzled as to we could proceed to the 2nd step (insurance/medical report/security bond/paying visa etc) without having the original letter......I assume shouldn't be big problem as long as we present the original passport along with the remaining 2nd stage documents, but who knows??
Old Feb 25th 2017, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Jane66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another & probably the last Question about the Security Bond, concerning the stamping at
Stamp Duty / Tax Office, do we just pay CASH RM10 for the stamp duty? Or need to buy a revenue stamp at the post office? Your input is much appreciated.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jane66
Another & probably the last Question about the Security Bond, concerning the stamping at
Stamp Duty / Tax Office, do we just pay CASH RM10 for the stamp duty? Or need to buy a revenue stamp at the post office? Your input is much appreciated.
It will seem a bit bizarre but you have to go to the post office and buy the 10RM stamp. Fix it to you form and fill out the form before going along to the tax office where you fill in another form so that your original can be chopped (stamped).
Old Feb 26th 2017, 1:13 am
Just Joined

heliaviator has a brilliant futureheliaviator has a brilliant futureheliaviator has a brilliant futureheliaviator has a brilliant futureheliaviator has a brilliant futureheliaviator has a brilliant futureheliaviator has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
It will seem a bit bizarre but you have to go to the post office and buy the 10RM stamp. Fix it to you form and fill out the form before going along to the tax office where you fill in another form so that your original can be chopped (stamped).
I didn't get any stamps. Just took the form to the tax office and paid them RM10 cash to chop it.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

spellraj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

I am a newbie to the forum having joined yesterday and this is my first post. I am an Indian citizen living in America and looking to retire in Malaysia. We just got my MM2H conditional letter couple weeks ago and are planning to visit KL in may to complete the procedure.

Ther are some great posts in this forum and I want to thank everyone who have spent their valuable time educating others about the process. I just had a few queries about the process.

1. For security bond: the conditional letter was issued in my name, my wife's and son's name. So when filling up the bond, I will be the applicant . So can my wife be the witness or it has to be someone else. Also I am confused, if I need to make any cash payment at MoTAC in favor of the bond or not.

2. Medical checkup: My wife and son are clean without any issues. But I have borderline hypertension, with the numbers swinging between normal and mildly high. I am not even on any medication. Can that be an issue at the checkup? Any one has had any issue with that?

3. I live in michigan in USA, and we dont have any HSBC branches here. I am planning to call them on monday and find out about opening an account on the phone. Not sure if that is possible or not. If am able to open an account, then do I deposit RM300,000 equivalent in dollars(I am below 50 years) in america and then when i go to KL, tell them to change my account to a premier account and transfer the funds to purchase the Fixed Deposit. Am I right? Also how long would it take for them to open an account in KL, and transfer the funds?

4. People suggested to buy a local sim when at the airport. Any suggestions on which company sim to buy? Any special plans?

5. We are planning to come to malaysia for couple of weeks in may for the whole process. Is 2 weeks enough for this?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions
Old Feb 27th 2017, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

@spellraj IT would be better if you start your own thread instead of using someone else's. Your questions are too specific to your individual situation.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

kiat137 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spellraj
Hello All,

I am a newbie to the forum having joined yesterday and this is my first post. I am an Indian citizen living in America and looking to retire in Malaysia. We just got my MM2H conditional letter couple weeks ago and are planning to visit KL in may to complete the procedure.

Ther are some great posts in this forum and I want to thank everyone who have spent their valuable time educating others about the process. I just had a few queries about the process.

1. For security bond: the conditional letter was issued in my name, my wife's and son's name. So when filling up the bond, I will be the applicant . So can my wife be the witness or it has to be someone else. Also I am confused, if I need to make any cash payment at MoTAC in favor of the bond or not.

2. Medical checkup: My wife and son are clean without any issues. But I have borderline hypertension, with the numbers swinging between normal and mildly high. I am not even on any medication. Can that be an issue at the checkup? Any one has had any issue with that?

3. I live in michigan in USA, and we dont have any HSBC branches here. I am planning to call them on monday and find out about opening an account on the phone. Not sure if that is possible or not. If am able to open an account, then do I deposit RM300,000 equivalent in dollars(I am below 50 years) in america and then when i go to KL, tell them to change my account to a premier account and transfer the funds to purchase the Fixed Deposit. Am I right? Also how long would it take for them to open an account in KL, and transfer the funds?

4. People suggested to buy a local sim when at the airport. Any suggestions on which company sim to buy? Any special plans?

5. We are planning to come to malaysia for couple of weeks in may for the whole process. Is 2 weeks enough for this?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions

Hi Raj,

1. MoTac not receiving Cash previously. Not sure about now.

2. No issue for your medical check. You need to download the form RB II from MM2H website. There are a list of sickness MM2H concern about which need doctor to verify only.

3. U need to land in Malaysia to open a Malaysia bank account. You can check with your current bank in USA whether can you transfer such amount RM 300,000 through online? Most of the banker welcome foreigner to open account and place MM2H FD. As long as your bank able to facilitate you on transferring the RM 300,000. Open a bank account only take few hours.

4. Maxis (Hotlink) is a bit higher price but good line quality and coverage. If you need a economic plan you can choose Umobile or Digi. No problem to use if most of the time you're in City.

5. As an agent, usually my practice only need 3-5 working days to complete the above tasks.

Last edited by kiat137; Feb 27th 2017 at 4:15 am.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

spellraj is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Sushifan for your suggestion. Will start a new thread. Thanks kiat137 for your valuable input.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been re-reading this thread, and I believe it contains sufficient information for me to complete the application process. However, there are a few requirements of that process that could potentially cause me difficulty:
  1. The need to supply certified proof of capital and income. The problem for me is that I do not receive paper-based statements (it's all online). I presume I could ask the bank to provide some of official printouts (stamped and signed) to satisfy this requirement. Has anyone else had this issue?

2. The Letter of Good Conduct. As a UK resident, NeonHippy quite naturally obtained an ACRO certificate. It is many years since I was a UK resident, and so I don't think I could apply to ACRO. I am now in Cyprus - perhaps I should see if the police here could issue me with a suitable Letter. Before that I was resident in Malaysia for two years, but I wonder if it would look odd if I asked the Malaysian police for a Letter? Perhaps it's not even possible (I was there on a tourist visa).

EDIT: I've just checked the ACRO FAQ's and found the following:

Q: Who can apply for a Police Certificate?

A: Anyone who has lived in the UK for any length of time, regardless of nationality can apply for a Police Certificate.

Based on this it would seem easier to apply to ACRO, although I wonder if the MM2H people will think it odd if I apply using a Cyprus address but supply a UK police Letter?

3. Address. Has anyone had experience of changing their address while the application process is underway. For example, if I complete and submit the forms while in Cyprus and then move somewhere else (maybe Malaysia), is it likely to cause a problem? I would think not but any opinions would be welcome.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Last edited by teejaydee; Mar 20th 2017 at 10:25 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
I've just been re-reading this thread, and I believe it contains sufficient information for me to complete the application process. However, there are a few requirements of that process that could potentially cause me difficulty:
  1. The need to supply certified proof of capital and income. The problem for me is that I do not receive paper-based statements (it's all online). I presume I could ask the bank to provide some of official printouts (stamped and signed) to satisfy this requirement. Has anyone else had this issue?

2. The Letter of Good Conduct. As a UK resident, NeonHippy quite naturally obtained an ACRO certificate. It is many years since I was a UK resident, and so I don't think I could apply to ACRO. I am now in Cyprus - perhaps I should see if the police here could issue me with a suitable Letter. Before that I was resident in Malaysia for two years, but I wonder if it would look odd if I asked the Malaysian police for a Letter? Perhaps it's not even possible (I was there on a tourist visa).

EDIT: I've just checked the ACRO FAQ's and found the following:

Q: Who can apply for a Police Certificate?

A: Anyone who has lived in the UK for any length of time, regardless of nationality can apply for a Police Certificate.

Based on this it would seem easier to apply to ACRO, although I wonder if the MM2H people will think it odd if I apply using a Cyprus address but supply a UK police Letter?

3. Address. Has anyone had experience of changing their address while the application process is underway. For example, if I complete and submit the forms while in Cyprus and then move somewhere else (maybe Malaysia), is it likely to cause a problem? I would think not but any opinions would be welcome.

1) Yes I also had this issue. See my post near the start of this thread. HSBC were less than helpful, maybe your Cypriot bank will be more helpful. At least the consulate were understanding and it was not a problem.

3) Back in the day, when aplications were approved in 6 weeks rather than 6 months, you would be unlikely to change address. Now, if you are thinking of moving, albeit temporary, you might consider delaying your application until after the move. I can't see a move in the middle helping in any way.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road

The problem for me is that I do not receive paper-based statements (it's all online).

I was told (from another instance in Malaysia, not the mm2h office) that a printout of a bank e-statement is considered the original.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

1) Yes I also had this issue. See my post near the start of this thread. HSBC were less than helpful, maybe your Cypriot bank will be more helpful. At least the consulate were understanding and it was not a problem.
I don't have a Cypriot bank account, but a lack of monthly statements must be a common problem nowadays. I'll investigate further. I don't think it should be an insurmountable problem.

3) Back in the day, when aplications were approved in 6 weeks rather than 6 months, you would be unlikely to change address. Now, if you are thinking of moving, albeit temporary, you might consider delaying your application until after the move. I can't see a move in the middle helping in any way.
Yes, I think "keep it simple" is the best approach. I will check, but as far as I know there is nothing to stop me applying from Malaysia. I don't think there is any requirement to begin the application from outside the country. If anything, it might make the process simpler.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stepen
I was told (from another instance in Malaysia, not the mm2h office) that a printout of a bank e-statement is considered the original.
Thanks Stepen. I'll look in to this. Perhaps I could get the bank to rubber stamp the printout. There would then be no doubt as to its authenticity.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road

Perhaps I could get the bank to rubber stamp the printout. There would then be no doubt as to its authenticity.
Yes, depending on where you are. I tried to get HSBC in China to certify a bank statement, and they refused because "they didn't know what I would do with it".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.