Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

MM2H - do you consider MY your permanent base or just a 2nd home?

MM2H - do you consider MY your permanent base or just a 2nd home?

Old Feb 16th 2018, 7:49 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MM2H - do you consider MY your permanent base or just a 2nd home?

Originally Posted by Davita
I see you want to emphasize that the spirit of MM2H means having a 'home' but omit to mention it says a 'second home'. This means the applicant should have a primary home elsewhere but I never heard of anyone being asked that question.
If a primary home elsewhere was a requirement then, obviously, spending time out of Malaysia would be necessary.
That's a very interesting point you make, Davita, and one I'd never thought of before. By calling the program "second" home it implies you should have a first home elsewhere and presumably should spend more time there than in Malaysia.

But we don't know the exact intentions of MM2H so it's difficult to talk about the spirit of the program. All we can do is respect the rules. And the same goes for on-arrival visas where Malaysian immigration can decide on-the-fly how to apply them.

Unfortunately this has, through no fault of his own, created a problem for Merlinman which is going to be tiresome to resolve - good luck there
Old Feb 16th 2018, 7:59 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merlinman
If, as would be the norm with any sophisticated government, the Malaysian authorities employ PR people to monitor these public forums, the "thumbing nose" views often expressed here would be cause for concern & appropriate (adverse) consequences & rule changes may well be anticipated.
I doubt they visit this forum and really MM2H is pretty insignificant to the economy so if people never stay here or they spend all year here I don't suppose anyone is terribly bothered. What we can't do as MM2Hers is get involved in Malaysian politics, which for me is an absolute positive.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Fenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merlinman

With regard to length of stay, whilst those who do so only for a month or two at a time, or even openly admit they might not even come to the country at all, may convince themselves they satisfy all the legal requirements they conveniently ignore the spirit of the programme. After all, MM2H means Malaysia My Second Home -home implies residence, not somewhere one might deign to visit (or not) sometime in the dim distant future. If, as would be the norm with any sophisticated government, the Malaysian authorities employ PR people to monitor these public forums, the "thumbing nose" views often expressed here would be cause for concern & appropriate (adverse) consequences & rule changes may well be anticipated.
I didn't notice anyone "thumbing nose" in this thread. Why would we? I'm sure that everyone who has been granted the MM2H visa is very happy about it.

No doubt, if the Malaysian authorities decide that: "in the spirit" of MM2H they do in fact want people to reside here on a permanent basis, they will change the requirements to reflect this. Like any change that may happen in the future, each individual will then have to make the decision on whether or not to continue with the programme.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Well it is a "Second Home" because you can't really use the MM2H Visa to become a Malaysian citizen eventually. They certainly expect you to perhaps return home, or somewhere else, eventually and maintain your citizenship there. They also have a generous 10 (or 5 years in my case, Sarawak) term before renewal. But one still must renew.

But there is no "you must have a permanent foreign address" requirement in the literature, nor do they require that one leave the country for any length of time annually or during the period of renewal.

The "you must have a second residence" thing is a bit far-fetched IMO. That was never a restriction in the program from its inception. The restriction is only in citizenship (or permanent residence visa) access.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

merlinman is on a distinguished road

Generally speaking, when one talks about having a second home it means an alternative residence which is usually visited on a regular basis once or twice a year, maybe more, for varying periods, to the extent that it often eventually becomes the first home. Conversely the overriding impression given by some contributors to this discussion is that their Malaysian second home is a merely a bolt-hole, even just a P.O box, used as a last resort when tired of everywhere else. Whilst there may be an assumption, or even expectation, on the part of the authorities that MM2Hers may ultimately leave the country, for the latter to have that attitude is, in my opinion, outside the spirit of, & indeed abusing, the system.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 7:10 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I doubt they visit this forum and really MM2H is pretty insignificant to the economy so if people never stay here or they spend all year here I don't suppose anyone is terribly bothered. What we can't do as MM2Hers is get involved in Malaysian politics, which for me is an absolute positive.
Oh yes they do !! I have seen one of my posts lifted Word for Word from this forum and placed on the gov site That was a few years ago mind, after my change of circumstances.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 7:18 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Getting back on topic...... I think everyone should remember that MM2H is just a long term visa. As Scott on the old forum used to say, we are just long term tourists. That is all.

Sure... you can live somewhat permanently in Malaysia on the visa but you are never permanent and it will not lead to any permanent residency. All this talk of long term immigration is a load of twaddle. We are not immigrants. We are tourists !!

So... yes you can think of it as a permanent base but don't think of it as Permanent. Always have a Plan B in the back of your mind. There are plenty of other Retirement Visas out there.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Well, let´s see what the future will bring. In 10 to 20 years will are many young people here with parents on MM2H (sounds great) that maybe were not all born here but spent all the life from Kindergarten to school in Malaysia, speak Bahasa and 99% will got to university.

If I would be Malaysia I would hug and kiss this future tax base, but sure, noboby knows.