British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Retirement and MM2H (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/)
-   -   MM2H 2017 reintroduction of ID cards (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/mm2h-2017-reintroduction-id-cards-888779/)

bakedbean Dec 13th 2016 10:52 am

MM2H 2017 reintroduction of ID cards

Hot off the press :p from presentation by Mr Au Yeong How, Assistant Director of MM2H in Putrajaya.

Reintroduction of the MM2H ID cards. Was it i-Kads? I cannot remember. I never did get one as I was too late joining MM2H.

Excellent news. At least I think so. Serves as a great ID card to wave about.

No details yet. Watch the Gov site.

RedApe Jan 9th 2017 8:58 pm

Re: MM2H 2017 reintroduction of ID cards

Anyone know if the cards have previously be useful to get discounts to National Parks, Zoos, Bird Parks, Museums, or other things.

I note that some places state that one must have a MyKad AND be a Malaysian CITIZEN (e.g. Gunung Kinabalu climbs) at least officially.

Still, once you get a card it likely will be easier than hauling out the letter of acceptance every time you must make an semi-official request.

eCdD Jan 14th 2017 3:04 pm

I guess this MyKad / Malaysian Citizen discounts have not existed too much in the times of the previous cards. I remember in my first visits here as a tourist there was no double pricing at all. I was totally shocked when I read what the Gunung K permits cost now.

baldrick2dogs Jul 8th 2017 11:41 am

Originally Posted by RedApe (Post 12147306)
Anyone know if the cards have previously be useful to get discounts to National Parks, Zoos, Bird Parks, Museums, or other things.

Penang Hill were offering a discount on production of an MM2H card last week. Didn't know such a thing existed till then!

skates81 Jul 10th 2017 11:22 am

Is there an official link giving details of the card? Where do we go to get one?

baldrick2dogs Jul 10th 2017 11:45 am

As per my MM2H agent, there is still no such thing.

winston_1 Jul 10th 2017 10:10 pm

These are not Malaysian citizen discounts. They never dropped the prices for locals. They are tourist rip offs.

heliaviator Jun 9th 2018 3:20 am

When I entered at KLIA last night the immigration officer said that I-KAD is now available on application for MM2H holders. Can anyone confirm this? Was only at the immigration desk as the foreigner e-gates weren't working!

bakedbean Jun 9th 2018 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by heliaviator (Post 12513078)
When I entered at KLIA last night the immigration officer said that I-KAD is now available on application for MM2H holders. Can anyone confirm this? Was only at the immigration desk as the foreigner e-gates weren't working!

Partners in Penang group seems to be showing a few postings saying the same as you. I just checked Government site. Nothing on there.

columbine Jun 10th 2018 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 12513346)
Partners in Penang group seems to be showing a few postings saying the same as you. I just checked Government site. Nothing on there.

Living in M'sia long enough to only believe if I see it on the Official Website

Macsta Jun 12th 2018 6:41 am

Originally Posted by eCdD (Post 12151788)
I guess this MyKad / Malaysian Citizen discounts have not existed too much in the times of the previous cards. I remember in my first visits here as a tourist there was no double pricing at all. I was totally shocked when I read what the Gunung K permits cost now.

I see JPJ have doubled the vehicle registration fee for foreign owners.

Anyone seen any statistics that confirm foreigners drive twice as much as locals? :eek:

Gunnar45 Jun 12th 2018 6:52 am

I guess it is more the assumption that foreigners who purchase cars here earn twice as much as the locals :-)

Macsta Jun 12th 2018 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12514352)
I guess it is more the assumption that foreigners who purchase cars here earn twice as much as the locals :-)

Actually it is quite funny because in the distant past just owning a car (let us say new car) was indeed a sign of wealth whereas now in the UK new car ownership (with personal leasing) is merely a sign of your creditworthiness.

I guess a more equitable registration charge would be one tiered on vehicle retail price, if the car was domestically built or imported plus as many other countries do, emissions.

Anbar Jun 20th 2018 3:05 am

Have just got back from a pleasant 10 day trip iaround Malaysia. Stayed in 4 different hotels & showed our MM2H visa in each. Paid the Tourist tax of RM 10 in two & nothing in the other two.
Is there a site that can confirm whether we have to pay it or not. Also which price to we pay at the tourist sites .Tourist or Malaysian ??

RedApe Jun 20th 2018 8:27 am

I don't think that MM2H participants are considered "permanent residents" of Malaysia. The only two exempted classes of tourists are 1) Malaysia citizens and 2) Permanent residents of Malaysia.

https://www.myttx.customs.gov.my/CTT...0(A)%20240.pdf