British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Retirement and MM2H (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/)
-   -   Medical Insurance. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/medical-insurance-910961/)

hnd Mar 27th 2018 7:31 am

Medical Insurance.

We are both over 60 and considering MM2H. We are UK Nationals.
Currently live in Oman and having medical insurance based in the UAE. It is a worldwide policy (ex USA). Do the Malaysia authorities accept the type of policy that I have? The policy is with Aetna UAE and I see that Aetna Malaysia appears to be on the approved list, so you would think that a transfer from the UAE to Malaysia would be straight forward, but the feedback I’m getting so far is not positive as fast as a transfer in concerned.

I note that under certain conditions it is possible that medical insurance can be waved when going for MM2H. It seems that it being too costly can be a reason, is there any sort of number on that? Also if you cannot find a company to take you on, how might that work.

Like in my previous question, I’m finding it tough to get answers from MM2H companies.

SushiFan Mar 27th 2018 7:48 am

Re: Medical Insurance.

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 12470851)
I note that under certain conditions it is possible that medical insurance can be waved when going for MM2H. It seems that it being too costly can be a reason, is there any sort of number on that? Also if you cannot find a company to take you on, how might that work.

The insurance companies in Malaysia which offer medical cost insurances generally use an upper age limit for new customers. Depending on the company is that generally in the range of 60 to 65. This is why the MM2H application procedure has a possibility to get this requirement waved. In such a case is it simply a matter of applying at a company and receiving a rejection letter. This letter can then be used in the MM2H application to show that you are not able to meet the requirement.

stepen Mar 27th 2018 7:56 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 12470851)
I see that Aetna Malaysia appears to be on the approved list,

Where is the approved list?

hnd Mar 27th 2018 8:47 am

Approved list. Sorry, can’t find it. I think I was specifically looking to see if Aetna would do the job for us and not looking for an approved list.

Davita Mar 27th 2018 9:05 am

If you have world-wide insurance (X USA) which doesn't (X Malaysia) that is sufficient for the MM2H requirement.
As sushi says...if later, age causes a rejection, that will also suffice.

Gunnar45 Mar 27th 2018 9:14 am

If Aetna Dubai is a good option for you but not approved here, why not just keep that insurance and then get a rejection letter from a local insurance company which has 60 years as max limit for new customers. (I don't know if there still are companies with 60 years max limit though)

hnd Mar 27th 2018 10:12 am

Davita & Gunnar45. Thank you, those are the options which closest fit my needs. 65 early next year and that may make it easier to get a rejection letter!

heliaviator Mar 27th 2018 10:42 am

I was over 60 when I applied and it seemed that there was no requirement for medical insurance, on the basis of my age. I certainly was not asked for any rejection letter or other evidence.

hnd Mar 27th 2018 11:57 am

Heliaviator
Thank you.

Pat in europe Oct 30th 2018 2:00 pm

hi all
do you know if a medical insurance (at Progressive) covering only hospitalization in Malaysia with 90-day worldwide coverage sufficient for MM2H? In particular, do they require coverage on outpatient GP in Malaysia?

SushiFan Oct 31st 2018 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Pat in europe (Post 12585226)
hi all
do you know if a medical insurance (at Progressive) covering only hospitalization in Malaysia with 90-day worldwide coverage sufficient for MM2H? In particular, do they require coverage on outpatient GP in Malaysia?

MM2H does not have a requirement for worldwide coverage. They only require coverage in Malaysia. The AIA insurance I have does not include outpatient GP. Usually are visits to clinics so inexpensive that it isn't even worthwhile to have an insurance for that.

Pat in europe Oct 31st 2018 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 12585627)
MM2H does not have a requirement for worldwide coverage. They only require coverage in Malaysia. The AIA insurance I have does not include outpatient GP. Usually are visits to clinics so inexpensive that it isn't even worthwhile to have an insurance for that.

Hi SushiFan
Thanks for the reply. Then the insurance plan that I was offered will fulfill the requirements.
Regarding worldwide coverage, maybe I have misinterpreted the guidelines attached to my conditional approval letter which state that:

"Visit any insurance company in Malaysia and purchased a medical insurance for applicant and dependents. If you already possessed a medical insurance, make sure the policy covers worldwide/international and still valid (coverage not less than 12 months). The terms worldwide/international shall mention in the insurance policy. Any amount of medical insurance is acceptable...".

Now when I read the guidelines again, I think that "The terms worldwide/international shall [be] mention[ed] in the insurance policy" refers only to an insurance policy that the applicant may have outside Malaysia, not a policy that he may get from a local insurer in Malaysia.

eCdD Nov 1st 2018 2:14 am

Actually a medical insurance in Malaysia usually includes treatment outside the country. But many exclude foreigners from this, logically, because they could easily use it in their home countries then.

SushiFan Nov 1st 2018 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Pat in europe (Post 12585756)
Hi SushiFan
Now when I read the guidelines again, I think that "The terms worldwide/international shall [be] mention[ed] in the insurance policy" refers only to an insurance policy that the applicant may have outside Malaysia, not a policy that he may get from a local insurer in Malaysia.

Exactly. What they mean is that if you have a medical insurance in another country and that insurance also covers medical costs in Malaysia then you don't need to get a second medical insurance in Malaysia. MM2H only wants to make sure that you do have insurance. How you arrange your insurance is of secondary importance. But in reality is it often more expensive to have an insurance in another country, covering Malaysia as well, than having a domestic insurance covering Malaysia only.

RedApe Nov 2nd 2018 7:02 am

I think by the "approved list" it may be a reference to access to "Preferred Providers". My US-based Insurance plan is Anthem Blue Cross and has a list of preferred providers worldwide. If one gets clearance from Anthem they will cover the cost for approved treatments at the level they do at "Preferred Providers" in the USA (80%). Billing at their overseas "partners" (e.g. Raffles or Gleneagles) is handled directly, but at other hospitals or providers one may have to pay directly and seek reimbursement. But they also have limitations for US Residents as this applies to "Travel Coverage" for a limited period...and only for emergency and urgent care.

But if you have an Expat Policy you may have different rules. You need to look at the "Evidence of Coverage" for each and every policy. I dug deeper into my policy terms in the "Travel Coverage" section and found that I also can receive coverage for not only emergency and urgent care but that "Members who permanently reside in foreign countries may (also) submit claims for routine, elective procedures, urgent and emergent care"..."Members traveling or residing outside the United States shall be considered "Out-of-Area" and...reimbursed at the higher Preferred Provider (80%) level of benefits." The policy still has co-pays, and deductibles, but still...pretty amazing.

I'm not on Medicare (which does not offer any overseas coverage) because I don't want to pay the onerous Part B premiums ($132/month)...so this "benefit" is my lucky fall-back.