British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Retirement and MM2H (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/)
-   -   "intention letter" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/intention-letter-947277/)

satumadu Mar 2nd 2023 11:33 pm

"intention letter"

I posted a question recently asking about any recent takes on mm2h extension/transfer. The post had 155 views and zero replies. I think I can pretty much just show up in Putrajaya and wing it; but there is one small detail I'd like to work out before doing so... I'd like to know about the "intention letter"... details such as: to whom should it be addressed? (I seem to recall one post where this was a problem)... what basically should I say in the letter?... I assume it would best if it were typed and printed; but would a hand-written letter do?
I'm guessing from the lack of response to my last post that there are not many members currently dealing with mm2h. Are there any other forums that I might search? (except for FB which I can't bring myself to use).

hnd Mar 3rd 2023 12:03 am

Re: "intention letter"

The FB MM2H group is the most widely used forum for information and its where you’re most likely to get the help and information you need.

satumadu Mar 4th 2023 12:48 pm

Unfortunately I just cannot bring myself to use FB. Guess I'm out of luck.

Epicurious Mar 5th 2023 3:46 am

Originally Posted by satumadu (Post 13177231)
Unfortunately I just cannot bring myself to use FB. Guess I'm out of luck.

Anyone can read the FB group without joining FB, but of course you won't be able to post. Nevertheless you may be able to find some useful info. Despite the name, Peninsular MM2H is also discussed.
SMM2H | Facebook

satumadu Mar 7th 2023 11:08 pm

Thanks for the link Epicurious. I could read it for a few minutes, but then a pop-up demanded I login. Don't think it would contain the information I am looking for anyway... it's more of a general, Sarawak-based forum. I miss the old mm2h forum that Scott used to run. My question is so specific that I don't think many would be able to give me an answer. i.e. I want to know how to word the intention letter... how to address it, what details to include, etc.. I remember a few years ago someone had the wrong addressee. I think it was after the Ministry of Tourism stopped being the administer of the program. I've decided to print up several variations of a letter hoping that one of them might be acceptable. I know I'm over-thinking this; but I'm old and do not want to make more than one trip to Putrajaya.

montakute Mar 9th 2023 11:01 am

Here is a sample intention letter someone posted on FB. The person who posted the sample letter said the following about the intention letter: "It's the same as an application letter. I didn't think I needed one as I was applying in person, but I was wrong. I was directed to the second floor where a lady prepared one for me and charged me RM15! You could easily do one yourself. Here's a copy of the one prepared for me." This FB post was in Feb 2022.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...3bc74187b8.jpg

satumadu Mar 10th 2023 10:59 pm

Thank you montakute. That's a big help. I'm still not certain about some small details... such as the ongoing confusion between "renewing" and "extending" and "transferring. Also I will not know my new passport number before I pick it up in K.L. the day before going to Putrajaya. But the fact that there could be a lady on the second floor to prepare a letter for me is encouraging.
I will report back here on my experience with the extension in case anyone might be interested. Thanks again...

RedApe Mar 15th 2023 10:06 pm

"I'm still not certain about some small details... such as the ongoing confusion between "renewing" and "extending" and "transferring."

Ahhhh! Terminology.

A RENEWAL is when the 10 Year Term of the Pass expires. This generally requires a new application under the new "improved" rules, although the former Justice Minister claimed that for MM2H no new terms would be required other than what was on the old Letter of Conditional Approval (LCA) with two exceptions: a) an increase in the annual fee from RM90/year to RM500/year and b) a 3 month mandatory stay period per annum (either principal or spouse and cumulative between the two). So one needs to demonstrate one is maintaining the Fixed Deposit and have sufficient income/pension. Also new health check.

An EXTENSION occurs at the five year mark of the issuance of the original visa. Provided one is still qualified under the terms of the LCA then the process is pretty pro-forma. One does need to retake the Health Check, provide a copy of the passport to demonstrate one has been maintaining the three months annual visitation period. You will pay up the second required RM500/year installment for your pass fee. Another type of EXTENSION is a short-term pass on an older visa/pass that is coming up for expiration. Thus you might get a 1-2 month extension while you wait for your renewal to go through. They may allow this several times.

A transfer is necessary when you get a new passport and need to TRANSFER the already paid up sticker from an old passport to a new one. It's a relatively simple procedure on the Malaysian end. There's a form you fill out, but no requirement to do another health check, security check nor do they check to see if you are maintaining your 3 month annual visit. There is a transfer fee but I believe it is minimal. If your passport is expiring just after the date of the extension I suggest you get a new passport well before the date you nee to extend. That way you can have your new visa sticker placed in your new passport (as per the sample letter).

satumadu Mar 15th 2023 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by RedApe (Post 13179964)
"I'm still not certain about some small details... such as the ongoing confusion between "renewing" and "extending" and "transferring."

Ahhhh! Terminology.

A RENEWAL is when the 10 Year Term of the Pass expires. This generally requires a new application under the new "improved" rules, although the former Justice Minister claimed that for MM2H no new terms would be required other than what was on the old Letter of Conditional Approval (LCA) with two exceptions: a) an increase in the annual fee from RM90/year to RM500/year and b) a 3 month mandatory stay period per annum (either principal or spouse and cumulative between the two). So one needs to demonstrate one is maintaining the Fixed Deposit and have sufficient income/pension. Also new health check.

An EXTENSION occurs at the five year mark of the issuance of the original visa. Provided one is still qualified under the terms of the LCA then the process is pretty pro-forma. One does need to retake the Health Check, provide a copy of the passport to demonstrate one has been maintaining the three months annual visitation period. You will pay up the second required RM500/year installment for your pass fee. Another type of EXTENSION is a short-term pass on an older visa/pass that is coming up for expiration. Thus you might get a 1-2 month extension while you wait for your renewal to go through. They may allow this several times.

A transfer is necessary when you get a new passport and need to TRANSFER the already paid up sticker from an old passport to a new one. It's a relatively simple procedure on the Malaysian end. There's a form you fill out, but no requirement to do another health check, security check nor do they check to see if you are maintaining your 3 month annual visit. There is a transfer fee but I believe it is minimal. If your passport is expiring just after the date of the extension I suggest you get a new passport well before the date you nee to extend. That way you can have your new visa sticker placed in your new passport (as per the sample letter).

Thanks for the clarification. As I remember it "extension" used to be what is now called "transfer". In any case this will likely be my last interaction with the program so I only have to know what terms they are presently using.