Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Importing a car as part of household goods

Importing a car as part of household goods

Old Jun 11th 2021, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

ssoomro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing a car as part of household goods

Hi...
Now that the tax free car import under MM2H is history. can someone advise on complexity and cost of importing a car as part of MM2Her importation of personal belongings?

I have finally decided to quit my job in Singapore and make home in MY... i would like to bring in usual household items (furniture, books, junk collected over years) from my Singapore residence to my future place in MY. One item of interest is what about my car? I would ideally like to bring my car along . Anyone has insight into the auto import into malaysia process (as an MM2Her) and advise on process and even sanity of the idea....also any recommendations on movers/forwarders will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
S
Old Jun 12th 2021, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a car as part of household goods

Fully can understand that you love your car so much that you want to bring it to Malaysia

But you know that the car tax holiday is extended until the end of the year?
Sales tax exemption period for completely knocked-down (CKD) and completely built-up (CBU) passenger vehicles extended until Dec 31, 2021, from June 30, 2021
So anyone who wants to buy (another) car, now is the time.
Old Jun 12th 2021, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

The MM2H system (which doesn't exist at the moment) allowed you to import your car within 6 months of you moving into Malaysia. And you had to show evidence that this car was already in your possession for two (?, I forgot the exact number) years. Once you have passed the six months import window are you no longer allowed to import a car tax-free.
Individuals in Malaysia are not allowed to import a car (either used or new). Only companies with an import license are allowed to do so. So you would need to use such a company to import your car from abroad. Be warned: the import tax is very high as Malaysia wishes to protect Proton and Perodua.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, appreciate the advise.

I am intrigued about the "Car Buying Tax Holiday", I will look for more information on that. Does that apply of Domestic made/assambled cars or foreign made cars too?
Old Jun 13th 2021, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

this link has information on SST Car Tax Exemption (https://www.carsome.my/news/item/sst...d-to-june-2021)