Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Has anyone done an extension recently?

Has anyone done an extension recently?

Old Jan 4th 2022, 10:37 am
Just Joined

satumadu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone done an extension recently?

I don't have to extend for another year; and I know a lot can change before then... i.e. the regs, even the government. So I guess I'm being unnecessarily anxious; but I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has done an extension recently. AKA "transferring" unused portion of 10 year visa to a new passport. Last I heard the powers that be were hinting at allowing extensions for current participants; the only change being a raise in fees from RM90 to RM500 per year.
Old Jan 4th 2022, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Fenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone done an extension recently?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MM2HPenang
This group on Facebook is very active and there was a recent post by someone who had just done a renewal. It seemed to be pretty easy. Good luck!
Old Jan 5th 2022, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fenella
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MM2HPenang
This group on Facebook is very active and there was a recent post by someone who had just done a renewal. It seemed to be pretty easy. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply Fenella. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who do not use FB. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Old Jan 6th 2022, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by satumadu
Unfortunately I'm one of those people who do not use FB.
Same here: I don't use Farcebook. And I can't answer your question.
Old Jan 6th 2022, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that on Facebook and they person laid out the fact that it was quite simple. In addition they only had to pay RM90/year fees. It wasn't clear if they were over 50...the increase only applied to those under 50.They received 10 years on their visa. And they were not required to pay the RM450-500 application fee. Scroll down.

Old Jan 7th 2022, 8:39 am
Just Joined

enjoythesun is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have to extend for another year; and I know a lot can change before then... i.e. the regs, even the government. So I guess I'm being unnecessarily anxious; but I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has done an extension recently. AKA "transferring" unused portion of 10 year visa to a new passport. Last I heard the powers that be were hinting at allowing extensions for current participants; the only change being a raise in fees from RM90 to RM500 per year.
I did a renewal last week. Was charged RM90 for each year that was left on the MM2H pass, so while there may be talk of increasing the fee it hasn't happened yet.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Sorry to be clear my existing passport had expired and I transferred the remaining 6 years of the MM2H pass into a new passport at a total cost of RM540.
Old Jan 8th 2022, 12:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by enjoythesun
Sorry to be clear my existing passport had expired and I transferred the remaining 6 years of the MM2H pass into a new passport at a total cost of RM540.
This is the recurring confusion between "renewal" and "extension". That's why I clarified "extension" in the OP by mentioning ""transferring" unused portion of 10 year visa to a new passport".
The FB post RedApe referred to was about a "renewal" since it was for 10 years. Whether the 50 year limit is relevant or not I do not know. If that FB post is accurate then there would seem to be no new restrictions at all.
Anyway, thank you for posting report of your extension enjoythesun. Any other details you might share? e.g. what docusments needed. I'm thinking of proof of the fixed deposit. I got stung on that once, and had to do a second trip to K.L. to show them a letter from the bank. Never mind that they know the funds are still on deposit because they have to grant permission for them to be withdrawn. But I guess I shouldn't expect too much from government.
Old Jan 8th 2022, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about that Satumadu. I presumed that extensions would not be subject to any additional issues IF renewals were not. It would seem illogical that they would demand MORE since one already has an MM2H visa with a Letter stating the terms for that cycle. But this is crazy-land right now. But from the exerience of others it seems that neither extensions or renewals are being burdened with additional requirements/fees...YET.

We'll have to wait and see if the Parliament tosses or revises the governments proposed bill. There does seem to be resistance both within and outside the governing coalition...so it may not pass or be tabled indefinitely. I'd prefer a decisive decision as people can't easily operate and plan with this thing in limbo.
Old Jan 8th 2022, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Hi RedApe, I knew I was being unrealistic in hoping for some certainty. Guess we will just have to wait and see. To paraphrase Bogie "the problems of a few expats don't add up to a hill of beans in this crazy world". And Casablanca only had WWII for craziness. We have Covid, The Great Reset, inflation and Wokeness. Still, better insecure here than freezing in my home-country Canada.
Old Jan 8th 2022, 6:17 am
Just Joined

This is the recurring confusion between "renewal" and "extension". That's why I clarified "extension" in the OP by mentioning ""transferring" unused portion of 10 year visa to a new passport".
The FB post RedApe referred to was about a "renewal" since it was for 10 years. Whether the 50 year limit is relevant or not I do not know. If that FB post is accurate then there would seem to be no new restrictions at all.
Anyway, thank you for posting report of your extension enjoythesun. Any other details you might share? e.g. what docusments needed. I'm thinking of proof of the fixed deposit. I got stung on that once, and had to do a second trip to K.L. to show them a letter from the bank. Never mind that they know the funds are still on deposit because they have to grant permission for them to be withdrawn. But I guess I shouldn't expect too much from government.
I used an agent to do the transfer for me and what they asked from me was my old passport, my new passport, a copy of my MM2H approval letter and a passport photo of myself on blue background. Funnily enough the new MM2H visa in the new passport used my new passport photo and not the photo I supplied.
Old Jan 9th 2022, 5:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that enjoythesun.
Old Jul 5th 2022, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

carbolic is an unknown quantity at this point

Picked up my five year renewal recently.
Lodged the application six weeks ago. Heard nothing so headed for KL.
Renewal had been approved and they issued the formal letter. Paid my five year fee and new visa in the passport.
Not difficult to do personally and no real benefit by getting an agent IMO.
My only issue was with the lien letter from Maybank. The old one did not have the right words. Luckily Maybank at Putrujaya knew what to do and I got a new lien letter.
Office was quite busy almost wholly with people getting extension stamps in their new passports.