British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Retirement and MM2H (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/)
-   -   Death of MM2H Principle Applicant- New Rule (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/death-mm2h-principle-applicant-new-rule-916131/)

RedApe Aug 16th 2018 12:06 am

Death of MM2H Principle Applicant- New Rule

This was just announced by the MM2H Immigration Unit and will be important to widows and orphaned dependents if their spouse or parent passes away.

Compulsory Notification of Death of MM2H Participant (Principal / Dependent) to MM2H Immigration Unit Within Three (3) Months

1. MM2H participants must report their family member(principal or dependent)'s death to MM2H Immigration Unit within three (3) months.
2. The passing of the principal will render the MM2H pass of dependent(s) null and void.
3. MM2H Immigration Unit will no longer accept Change-of-Principal application if the death is not reported within three (3) months effective [ day-month-year ].

CHECKLIST FOR APPLICATION TO CHANGE PRINCIPAL

Take a look at the check-list and realize that in the case of death or DIVORCE it may be difficult to obtain many of these documents after the fact. It is important to think ahead and make copies and have them in a place available for use in the case of a need for termination of the original principal and transfer to a new principal.

bakedbean Oct 7th 2018 11:03 am

Re: Death of MM2H Principle Applicant- New Rule

(((Sigh))) and of course you won't be up to eyeballs in paperwork, wills, grief in the 3 months after (sarcasm on). Not very well thought out.

2bubbles Nov 7th 2018 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 12574061)
(((Sigh))) and of course you won't be up to eyeballs in paperwork, wills, grief in the 3 months after (sarcasm on). Not very well thought out.

I have just been looking around MM2H forums and came upon this. Wish I had discovered this site much earlier. Just registered and joined today. This actually happened to my family! 2nd year after we got our MM2H. My hubs had a cancer diagnosis and things were not looking good. This was in 2012 by the way. I applied to change principals right away and was approved. No problems at all. I have been living here exclusively since 2010. I have sent one child off to UK for university and have one more to go before I actually am really retired. I have seen some other discussions about what happens to property and inheritance etc. It's straight forward. Probate with a Will, no inheritance taxes and property that was in both our names got transferred easily to mine. There was more family drama than problems with MM2H visa. Been 6 years and I have not regret leaving Tokyo after 28 years and moving to KL . Things have really gotten expensive though!

RedApe Nov 7th 2018 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by 2bubbles (Post 12589685)
My hubs had a cancer diagnosis and things were not looking good. This was in 2012 by the way. I applied to change principals right away and was approved. No problems at all.

So did you (and your husband) apply for a change in the principal prior to his passing? Or afterwards? Also did you have any issues with the Fixed Account?

P.S. Glad your process went smoothly and you were able to stay.

2bubbles Nov 8th 2018 1:38 am

Originally Posted by RedApe (Post 12589703)
So did you (and your husband) apply for a change in the principal prior to his passing? Or afterwards? Also did you have any issues with the Fixed Account?

P.S. Glad your process went smoothly and you were able to stay.

Yes, prior to his passing,I did by submitting a letter of intent, a letter from his oncologist at Gleneages Hospital, withdrew my husband's name as principal, left the FD as is with a change to my name. All other previous submitted documents were not required and left as is.

mikemike Nov 8th 2018 2:38 am

Originally Posted by RedApe (Post 12549022)
This was just announced by the MM2H Immigration Unit and will be important to widows and orphaned dependents if their spouse or parent passes away.

Compulsory Notification of Death of MM2H Participant (Principal / Dependent) to MM2H Immigration Unit Within Three (3) Months

1. MM2H participants must report their family member(principal or dependent)'s death to MM2H Immigration Unit within three (3) months.
2. The passing of the principal will render the MM2H pass of dependent(s) null and void.
3. MM2H Immigration Unit will no longer accept Change-of-Principal application if the death is not reported within three (3) months effective [ day-month-year ].

CHECKLIST FOR APPLICATION TO CHANGE PRINCIPAL

Take a look at the check-list and realize that in the case of death or DIVORCE it may be difficult to obtain many of these documents after the fact. It is important to think ahead and make copies and have them in a place available for use in the case of a need for termination of the original principal and transfer to a new principal.

Stage 2 clause 6

If you have been out of the country for many years how do you get such a clearance?

The document request as a whole, looks like a 'plan to fail' scenario. The more I read of Malaysian retirement, the more it seems that they do not want you.

2bubbles Nov 8th 2018 2:47 am

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 12590042)
Stage 2 clause 6

If you have been out of the country for many years how do you get such a clearance?

The document request as a whole, looks like a 'plan to fail' scenario. The more I read of Malaysian retirement, the more it seems that they do not want you.

For the letter of good conduct, you should get it from the last country of residence you were at with a legal visa if you have been out of country. We did, we had been in Tokyo for nearly 28 years, so noted that in our letter and they were fine with it.