Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Buying & Driving a car in Malaysia

Buying & Driving a car in Malaysia

Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying & Driving a car in Malaysia

After much deliberation I decided to buy an MM2H tax free car and following review of the discussions on a couple of threads at the back of last year decided to also do the honourable thing and get a Malaysian driving licence.

Neither of these proved quite as straight forward as anticipated. Firstly, how to get a driving licence. Searches on line all say that you need a form L2 from JPJ and I spent many a fruitless hour trying to find a copy of this form. The web lies! You actually need form Lampiran B-2 which can be downloaded from here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...4D1gw91lnZp5ug

Now it is in theory possible to pay someone to take the completed form and documents along to JPJ for you and if you are a member of the Automobile Association of Malaysia they will do this for just 20RM. It seems a no brainer but our experience was that every time the AAM tried to take our documents to JPJ there was a new hoop to jump through and after three attempts and four visits to AAM we decided to take matters into our own hands.

There is a JPJ office on Penang so this is not really much of an issue but be aware the JPJ address is on Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah but you cannot access the building from that road. instead set your Sat Nav to Persiaran Sungai Dua. The JPJ building is at the end of this road.

You need to take with you:
i. Completed application form
ii. Original and copy of your driving licence
iii. Original and copy of Paper counterpart if you still have it or print a new one from DVLA website
iv. Passport and copies of the Owner details page and the MM2H visa page
v. Original and copy of the MM2H provisional offer letter.

On arrival get a ticket for the counters in room 1 which is for general individual issues. When your number flashes up go to the counter and present all of your documents and copies. The counter clerk will certify all of the copies, fax them off to JPJ in Putrajaya and return all of your originals together with a receipt with instructions for following the progress of your application on-line. You will be askesd how long you want the licence to be valid for with a maximum of 5 years.

In about 30 days you will be able to return with a passport sized photo and some money and you will get your shiny new driving licence.

Last edited by NeonHippy; Jan 8th 2016 at 10:52 am. Reason: Typo corrections
Old Jan 8th 2016, 12:28 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying & Driving a car in Malaysia

Oh how interesting. The JPJ on island never used to do the licences so that's a welcome change.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

I know that this forum is called "British Expats" but I would like to point out that the procedure is slightly different for other people, depending on nationality. Malaysia has so-called "two-way agreements" with certain countries which simplifies the procedure of getting a Malaysian drivers license.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

montakute has a reputation beyond reputemontakute has a reputation beyond reputemontakute has a reputation beyond reputemontakute has a reputation beyond reputemontakute has a reputation beyond reputemontakute has a reputation beyond reputemontakute has a reputation beyond reputemontakute has a reputation beyond reputemontakute has a reputation beyond reputemontakute has a reputation beyond reputemontakute has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice that you can follow the progress of your application on-line. I guess the response from JPJ in Putrajaya only comes in the mail though, right? (i.e. not electronically)
Old Jan 9th 2016, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montakute
It's nice that you can follow the progress of your application on-line. I guess the response from JPJ in Putrajaya only comes in the mail though, right? (i.e. not electronically)
Too early to tell. I will try and remember to answer this in a month or so.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 7:45 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
I know that this forum is called "British Expats" but I would like to point out that the procedure is slightly different for other people, depending on nationality. Malaysia has so-called "two-way agreements" with certain countries which simplifies the procedure of getting a Malaysian drivers license.
Yes. I did a write-up some years ago on here. No point in my putting a link, as I'm sure that procedures have changed since then.

But we went to JPJ on the mainland with a variety of driving licences. At that time, the British licence conversion seemed to be a bit of a palaver. They turned their noses up at my (late) husband's Singapore driving licence. Eventually they plumped for our Thai driving licences.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't completed the procedure yet but will share my experiences once I've received the Malaysian drivers license.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Indeed, there are two lists, one for those countries with a bi-lateral agreement with Malaysia and those with no bi-lateral agreement. For the former the conversion is automatic and for the rest of the world the conversion requires approval. My wife was most indignant that the UK should not be counted in the former until I pointed out that a bi-lateral agreement would allow the typical Malay driver (who has provided us with much entertainment) to drive unchecked in the UK
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by montakute
No, the response is available on-line as it is attached to your progress report. As yet I've not had anything in the post.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

To find out the progress of your application you can go to the JPG website at http://www.jpj.gov.my. This will be in Malay but you can access an Anglicised version by clicking on the link labelled "Pilihan Bahasa" and selecting one of the available languages.

This will translate some, but not all, of the text to English but most of the top level tabs will now be in English (or your chosen language). On the same line where you clicked "Pilihan Bahasa" now click on "Online Tools" and from the tabs down the right-hand side select "Foreign Licence Conversion Enquiry (Non Automatic). In the ID Category I needed to select "Non Malaysia (LLN)". The ID number ison the Application Slip that the JPJ desk clerk gives you when you make the application. In my case it is my passport number. Then type the Capcha number in as the security code and click on "Check"

This then shows a panel with the search result. and if there is a letter attached a button to print the letter. This letter is in Malay. In my case it was a rejection and here is Google's attempt at a translation.

Dear Sir / Madam ,
Application for Change of Foreign Driving Licence (Conversion ) License to Drive
Malaysia Under Exemption Application of Rule 5 ( 3) of the Rules of Motor Vehicles ( License
Driving ) 1992
I was instructed to refer to the above matter .
2. Please be informed that your application / her to change the Driving Licence Overseas
License to Malaysia refused for as Appendix A.
3. However , Sir / Madam can reapply to the department after
submitting the documents required . For applications by mail , all documents
Driving Licence application Foreign Exchange must be copied and certified by the Department
State Road Transport before being sent to the headquarters of the Department of Road Transport
Putrajaya . Only Letter Employer / University and Verification of Foreign Driving License
Country of Producer License / Embassy of the country only needs to be sent a copy of the original .
Thank you.

I will pop into JPJ today for clarification but I suspect this may be a request for the Certificate of Entitlement issued by DVLA. Annoyingly this only seems to be available by phoning DVLA during UK office hours and after you have left the UK. I tried getting one just before I left and was told it would only be issued after I had left.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 10:41 pm

Think it may be the last bit....Embassy of Country.

My friend was told this also maybe 2 years ago, and she gave up on it.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 1:16 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Think it may be the last bit....Embassy of Country.

My friend was told this also maybe 2 years ago, and she gave up on it.
Hmmm. I think there is a lot of confusion about whether this 'embassy letter' is necessary for UK driving licence holders. See some (real life) guidance here:

UK Driving Licence Conversion - Part 1 (Application)

JC3
Old Jan 19th 2016, 1:55 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

This is a real puzzle. Alter Domus did my driving licence for me, they just needed a translation of my French licence (done my Alliance Francaise) and my passport. It took 3 days.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Talking to Alter Domus and JPJ this morning there appears to be 2 problems. The first iseasilysolved, our Pasport numbers are only the 9 digits that appear on the passport, JPJ Putrajaya seem to want to also see the country code. So it should look like 123456789GBR not 123456789. Lord only knows why as they have a copy of my passport ID page

The second one is a right piece of catch 22. In the past, the green counterpart to the UK licence counted as the 'Letter from the Embassy'. Remember how the government told us to throw them away last summer? We now need to get form D737 'Certificate of Entitlement' from DVLA.

Now I tried to get one of those before I left and was told they wouldn't issue one until after I left the country. The number you call to get the form is an 0300 number. These new numbers are meant to be mobile friendly freephone numbers. Trouble is you cannot connect to them from overseas. DOH

I'm waiting for the UK to wake up before I explode down the phone line to anyone unfortunate enough to pick up the phone.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
JPJ Putrajaya seem to want to also see the country code. So it should look like 123456789GBR not 123456789. Lord only knows why as they have a copy of my passport ID page
You mean....like my one Ja wohl.
Attached Thumbnails Buying & Driving a car in Malaysia-copy-driv-lic.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.