Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Where to live with an internet based job

Where to live with an internet based job

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live with an internet based job

I've read many posts from people who have Internet based jobs and hence can live more or less anywhere, but have no idea as to what kind of jobs can be done just by Internet communication. could someone give me some examples just out of interest? Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 2:56 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live with an internet based job

As a 40+ if you can meet the requirements you can get the MM2H visa in Malaysia.

Plus points would be: pretty good internet (hell we are supposed to be the Silicon Valley of Malaysia in Penang hehe). Living costs are a fraction of NZ. MM2h visa is used for,retirees but you don't have to be. I know of many 40somethings doing Internet work on this visa. Technically you cannot work so your employer or your business needs to,be outside the country. You can bring in money tax free. You are British citizen? Double taxation with UK therefore you can legitimately register as tax resident in Malaysia and therefore pay no tax on money coming in.
In Penang mostly everyone speaks English. It's ex colonial.
Great food. Big expat community but locals (it's majority Chinese racially) are good company.

Minus points: tropical climate year round (depends if you like that) but electricity costs are not too bad. We have aircon on all the time at,home and we are retired. It's affordable.
Need to get used to the culture, the driving standards are appalling but you get used to it.