Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to live???

Where is the best place to live???

Old Nov 20th 2007, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

investalot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where is the best place to live???

Originally Posted by zanne
BARBADOS!!!
I think the Bahamas and especially Grand Bahama.
English spoken,beautiful island,house prices reasonable (in dollars) climate great all year,access to Florida only 55 miles,locals friendly,tax free income and no CGT...for me best place in the world to live and invest !!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Islander Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by investalot
I think the Bahamas and especially Grand Bahama.
English spoken,beautiful island,house prices reasonable (in dollars) climate great all year,access to Florida only 55 miles,locals friendly,tax free income and no CGT...for me best place in the world to live and invest !!
I live in st lucia and it is fantastic. if you do want your name suggests then it is worth looking at buying on the island as it is going through a boom time at the moment. Let me know if you want more info and I will see if I can help.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Stewn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hugely interesting thread folks. Myself, I'm trying to find a place where I can settle down and raise a family - somewhere without the god-awful weather and crime of my hometown (Liverpool).

I've lived in Taiwan for the past 5 years, and while it's been a great experience, I certainly wouldn't recommend it for people to set up there. For one, the bureaucracy of this place is just unbelievable and anything like buying a house or setting up a business would be met with many obstacles. Then there's the pollution and language barriers etc.... I would recommend it for younger people to get out and see a different culture, but as I've done all that, and I'm no longer a 'younger person', it's time for me to move on.

So, I'm heading to the UAE next month to earn a bit of money and get some good experience on my cv, and then I'll be looking to settle down and raise that family after a few years in the middle east (s'pose I need to find myself a wife first!). I'm a pretty well qualified English teacher, so in theory I should be able to land myself a fairly respectable job in most countries.

Keep the responses coming folks, you may help my decision a bit
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

investalot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Islander Girl
I live in st lucia and it is fantastic. if you do want your name suggests then it is worth looking at buying on the island as it is going through a boom time at the moment. Let me know if you want more info and I will see if I can help.
Hi Islander Girl
I had a look at St. Lucia and I agree with your comments but after checking out most of the Caribbean islands I found Grand Bahama checked nearly all my boxes.I can buy brand new 3 bed 2 bath houses on the water for less than £150k (check www.ladylakebahamas.com) and there is a huge demand for rentals here.They also have NO C.G.T. or property tax and with Tax exemptions through the Port Authority in Freeport I found this most attractive.I think if more investors looked away from Europe especially with the exchange rates now and checked out the Caribbean they might be suprised that it is very affordable.
Have a great day in the sun !!
Old Nov 24th 2007, 1:33 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by investalot
Hi Islander Girl
I had a look at St. Lucia and I agree with your comments but after checking out most of the Caribbean islands I found Grand Bahama checked nearly all my boxes.I can buy brand new 3 bed 2 bath houses on the water for less than £150k (check www.ladylakebahamas.com) and there is a huge demand for rentals here.They also have NO C.G.T. or property tax and with Tax exemptions through the Port Authority in Freeport I found this most attractive.I think if more investors looked away from Europe especially with the exchange rates now and checked out the Caribbean they might be suprised that it is very affordable.
Have a great day in the sun !!

Sounds good as long as the Florida property effect doesn't spread. Many people have lost a lot of money through property investing in Florida. Although if the market has bottomed out, there are some bargains to be had there. Wouldn't risk it personally though.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 4:04 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

I told you - go to Gambia. So go there!! Now - what are you waiting for?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:04 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

I second that, whenever I am in Rodney bay, St Lucia, I am amazed by the unspoiled beauty of the place and the convenience of having all the mod cons, shopping, marina, beach, golf, right on your door step. I give St Lucia a definate thumbs up. Still affordable but I would say it will be right on Barbados's heels within the next ten years or so, plus scenically much more beautiful than Barbados. Lots of development going on. Marina is having a major overhaul and will be able to cater for the super yachts soon. can't wait to set up home there.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 3:36 am
Just Joined

Mexicanwhite is an unknown quantity at this point

You could always consider in or around Pto. Vallarta - Mexico. great weather most of the year, most people speak English and there's bi-lingual schools. Everything you need.

I live in Guadalajara which is about 4 hr drive from there and visit quite often as do most people from here.

If you need any more advice look me up or contact me at : [email protected]

Regards,

Jon
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:56 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mexicanwhite
You could always consider in or around Pto. Vallarta - Mexico. great weather most of the year, most people speak English and there's bi-lingual schools. Everything you need.

I live in Guadalajara which is about 4 hr drive from there and visit quite often as do most people from here.

If you need any more advice look me up or contact me at : [email protected]

Regards,

Jon

Why recommend 4 hrs from where you are ? what is Guadalajara like ?
Old Nov 30th 2007, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Mexicanwhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

The reason I recommende a place 4 hrs from here was because of your criteria !
I live in a city of around 6 million and growing and is the 2nd largest city in Mexico. However unless you have some knowledge of what your letting yourself in for not speaking the language etc I would say the best option would be Pto. Vallarta. Plus we all love to go there from this city and there is an ex-pat community there.
If you can imagine a foreign family who don't speak English and have the same criteria as you guys have and someone recommends to them going to live in let's say Newcastle, that to me would be a big mistake, not saying that Newcastle isn't a nice place but you get my point !

Why not do a google search on the place and see what you think and get back to me ?

Jon
Old Dec 7th 2007, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you would find Australia to expensive. Bali would be a great spot so long as you didn't need to work. Good luck.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 6:42 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Gambia - nowhere else.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Dago
Gambia - nowhere else.

Why gambia ?
Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

lady c is an unknown quantity at this point

hi islander girl and other readers

ST LUCIA & OTHER PLACES

Loving this thread. my parents used to have a place in Rodney Bay, seriously thinking of coming back

Can you recommend a long term rental agency there? thanks

TO ALL

now going to also look into Chile and uruguay ... any other suggestions for family with 6 mth old baby: should i be worried about areas with typhoid, as he can't be vacinated til 2yrs?

we want to travel before school is an issue for little one and HAVE GOT TO GET OUT OF LONDON NOW!

other place we are considering are; Cape Verde, Guadeloupe, Mauritius, Malaysia, Polynesia .. so all advice gratefully recieved!

thanks
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by lady c
hi islander girl and other readers

HAVE GOT TO GET OUT OF LONDON NOW!
Hi, what is the urgency to get out of London now ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.