Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Want to go -where to go?

Want to go -where to go?

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 6:42 am
Just Joined

Montisjoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to go -where to go?

Hi every one, I am new here but from what I read it is very informative.

I have enough of the cold weather , expensive heating bills.
I want to move somewhere nice and warm;

cannot decide canaries like Teneriffe or the caribic island although most of them are expensive but I am not sure about the Curaco the dutch parts. Thailand is very cheap I heard but has snakes and medical treatments can be a problem.

I know I am one of many asking the same question. Is there a nice place to be on this earth: warm, fairly safe and cheaper then europe????

I am a medical lab tech and a beautician with extensive qualifications and a small online shop so I guess I can get work.

I would really appreciate your help on this you can mail me
Old Mar 11th 2011, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all
Default Re: Want to go -where to go?

How about you move to HELL.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jameswales
How about you move to HELL.
Very helpful

To the OP, I think you need to be a bit more specific . I mean The Netherlands Antilles, Bangok and Tenerife vary a bit
Old Mar 12th 2011, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Montisjoy

cannot decide canaries like Teneriffe or the caribic island although most of them are expensive but I am not sure about the Curaco the dutch parts. Thailand is very cheap I heard but has snakes and medical treatments can be a problem.

I know I am one of many asking the same question. Is there a nice place to be on this earth: warm, fairly safe and cheaper then europe????

I am a medical lab tech and a beautician with extensive qualifications and a small online shop so I guess I can get work.

I think this is something that crosses most of our minds at some time, especially in our younger years and it is a good idea to see as much as the World as possible when you can (in my opinion). Probably some of first questions you should ask yourself is where can you work legally and can you speak the language? The Dominican Republic is one of the cheaper Caribbean islands and you may get a job as a beautician in one of the more upmarket hotels. There are other places in Latin America with an established tourist infrastructure such as Mexico and Panama. Many Americans live in and visit Panama and they like to patronise English speaking businesses. Maybe some of the southern US states would be suitable or the Middle East? Anywhere decent is not particulary cheap these days and if it is, the salaries will be accordingly lower so Europe may not be so bad. The Dutch ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao) are not particularly cheap to live either, certainly no cheaper than Europe. Remember, when moving overseas, you can end up swapping one set of problems for another like expensive heating bills can become expensive air conditioning bills. Access to medical treatment should be another major consideration.

Most hot (and some cold) places have snakes. Try searching for jobs as a lab. tech. overseas through the agencies or the Internet and see what you can turn up. Good luck.

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 12th 2011 at 1:53 am.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Montisjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnh009
I think this is something that crosses most of our minds at some time, especially in our younger years and it is a good idea to see as much as the World as possible when you can (in my opinion). Probably some of first questions you should ask yourself is where can you work legally and can you speak the language? The Dominican Republic is one of the cheaper Caribbean islands and you may get a job as a beautician in one of the more upmarket hotels. There are other places in Latin America with an established tourist infrastructure such as Mexico and Panama. Many Americans live in and visit Panama and they like to patronise English speaking businesses. Maybe some of the southern US states would be suitable or the Middle East? Anywhere decent is not particulary cheap these days and if it is, the salaries will be accordingly lower so Europe may not be so bad. The Dutch ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao) are not particularly cheap to live either, certainly no cheaper than Europe. Remember, when moving overseas, you can end up swapping one set of problems for another like expensive heating bills can become expensive air conditioning bills. Access to medical treatment should be another major consideration.

Most hot (and some cold) places have snakes. Try searching for jobs as a lab. tech. overseas through the agencies or the Internet and see what you can turn up. Good luck.

Hello John009, thanks for the nice reply and it makes sense.

Linda
Old Apr 11th 2011, 10:18 am
Just Joined

McZac is an unknown quantity at this point

The contributor that made the comment swapping one set of problems for another is right.
We have lived in a few countries like South Africa 15 years France 1 Spain 3 Sri Lanka 1 Australia 30 years USA 2 & New Zealand 10 years & since being retired for the past 2 year we spent 1 year in Cyprus & 1 year in Tenerife.
Cyprus, has it's plusses like they drive on the left & they mostly speak English, the down side is the place looks ok till you live there then you find it is a tip & the great tradition of ripping you off when they can (mostly Brit trades people) is alive & the Cypriots do a good job at this as well & then there's of course the property rip off's (like Spain) & it is no cheaper to live there than it is in New Zealand & medical is a joke unless you go private (which is not that expensive) I paid 50 Eu for my anual heart & blood check up as I have just had 6 bypasses done in NZ..

Tenerife is beautiful (NORTH part that is, the south looks like a Butlins camp) the down side is they drive on the wrong side of the road & no one other than waiters & the odd few speak in English even if they can, it's a bit like France in that respect cost of living is the same as in New Zealand some thing are cheaper but overall it balances out to be the same, medical is better than Cyprus but doctors don't speak English in the public system only private doctors do & the other problem in Spanish places & in a lot of other places like Cyprus Sri Lanka & so on is: see this clip it says it all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWZ3uAEKsw
So dont register for anything & youmwont have a problem.

In conclusion my advice is sell all your accumulated crap you don't really need rent you house out & travel light.
Then spend summers in UK say July August Sept & then flip over to Tenerife for October Novenber on route to Aust or NZ for Dec Jan Feb March then back to Tenerife for April May June back to UK & so on,,, BUT if you want to dive & speak the language & at least get good medical help should you need it Then summers in Aust & NZ are your best bets & you can get visas no probs.

Sound like a lot of travel but it's not on a round the world ticket with 2 side trips, we do it all the time & live the endless summer life style.

Rent in Tenerife & most places should not cost more than EU650 - 800 per month (cheaper opt. are avail) in a 2 bed nice place in La Paz, NO car needed we live next to Jardin Botanico Tenerife (Google Earth it) we walk everywhere & the bus service is cheap (by a Bono Card) & fantastic

AS they say "We are here for a good time NOT a long time".

Good Luck

Last edited by McZac; Apr 11th 2011 at 10:45 am.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Jenny87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to go Egypt. Sunshine, Sand, Historical Sites, mysterious! It's cheaper than Europe
Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jenny87
I want to go Egypt. Sunshine, Sand, Historical Sites, mysterious! It's cheaper than Europe
My Dad lived in Egypt & in those days it was a happening & sophisticated place to be but things change & not always for the better I went & found it polluted unfriendly & yes it has the history ect. but you also need security & freedom to be who you are & Egypt is not that way inclined.

Having said that try it & form your own opinion & let me know how far off or on the mark I was in my critique
Old May 1st 2011, 6:11 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

A word of caution – consider all of the aspects before you make the move.

I work all over Asia, live in Australia and my wife is Japanese, so I get to meet a lot of expats all over the place.

Some do ok, some settle, others end up trapped. They don’t earn much where they are, teaching English in Thailand, running furniture factories in Indonesia, small time journalism in the Philippines. But they survive.

The problem is that they don’t earn enough to ever go back, and they get into a sort of poverty trap. The funding required to relocate back to the UK is simply beyond their grasp. Even worse, after they have been living in Asia for 30+ years they really have no friends left, most of the family are dead or forgotten about. They have lost their ties to the UK.

As they get older they begin to long for British pensions, NHS care, free dental work, less pollution and chaos, and less corruption. Many end up in trouble as they get older because they struggle to manage the infamous visa runs.

If you think I am joking, take a read at this:

http://jakartass.net/2011/04/dave-jardine-r-i-p/

I knew this guy, he moved to Jakarta in the 1980s at the age of 40, and by all accounts had a ball. But he ended his days penniless in a boarding house. He was living illegally; his last visa had run out over 3 years before.

Presumable he was too poor to even make the visa run.

Don’t make the same mistake.
Old May 1st 2011, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
A word of caution – consider all of the aspects before you make the move.

I work all over Asia, live in Australia and my wife is Japanese, so I get to meet a lot of expats all over the place.

Some do ok, some settle, others end up trapped. They don’t earn much where they are, teaching English in Thailand, running furniture factories in Indonesia, small time journalism in the Philippines. But they survive.

The problem is that they don’t earn enough to ever go back, and they get into a sort of poverty trap. The funding required to relocate back to the UK is simply beyond their grasp. Even worse, after they have been living in Asia for 30+ years they really have no friends left, most of the family are dead or forgotten about. They have lost their ties to the UK.

As they get older they begin to long for British pensions, NHS care, free dental work, less pollution and chaos, and less corruption. Many end up in trouble as they get older because they struggle to manage the infamous visa runs.

If you think I am joking, take a read at this:

http://jakartass.net/2011/04/dave-jardine-r-i-p/

I knew this guy, he moved to Jakarta in the 1980s at the age of 40, and by all accounts had a ball. But he ended his days penniless in a boarding house. He was living illegally; his last visa had run out over 3 years before.

Presumable he was too poor to even make the visa run.

Don’t make the same mistake.
Well said, there are many traps & there is of course the fact that you will never be local in any place that screws you when ever they can & make you beg to stay with the visa scam.
Interesting to note these are the same p**cks that head to Australia on fishing boats & expect everything handed them on a silver plate & go on hunger strikes to get in for free.
Old May 1st 2011, 10:32 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

There's always someone willing to take advantage of vulnerable people so I feel sorry for the boat people - they're not so different from the Brits that got in for 10 pounds once upon a time.

Montisjoy

I can recommend Australia, Southern Queensland has one of the best climates in the world, with very mild winters.

Tenerife has terrible unemployment and I think you would go stir crazy after a while on such a small island. Thailand is cheap but very hot and sticky, a lot of New Zealanders go there for medical treatment they can't afford at home.

I'm not sure if Australia is cheaper than Europe, depends on what parts you're comparing but I would think that one of your skill sets would be in demand here.

Don't let the snakes and spiders put you off either, it's not nearly as bad as you think it is.
Old May 1st 2011, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
There's always someone willing to take advantage of vulnerable people so I feel sorry for the boat people - they're not so different from the Brits that got in for 10 pounds once upon a time.

* Dont feel sorry they are getting in illegally & the 10 pound migrants had to meet the requirements -Trade - Language - & other criteria & had to sign a 2 year stay there contract with NO help from anyone when you got there NO handouts just get a job & survive FAR from this hand out house feed & the millions it costs tax payers to check out thier stories.

I can recommend Australia, Southern Queensland has one of the best climates in the world, with very mild winters.

* IF you dont mind humidity & mozzies.

Tenerife has terrible unemployment and I think you would go stir crazy after a while on such a small island. Thailand is cheap but very hot and sticky, a lot of New Zealanders go there for medical treatment they can't afford at home.

* Tenerife is small but it costs 60 Eu to fly to any place in Europe if you get stir crazy

I'm not sure if Australia is cheaper than Europe, depends on what parts you're comparing but I would think that one of your skill sets would be in demand here.

*It's not cheaper.

Don't let the snakes and spiders put you off either, it's not nearly as bad as you think it is.
*Good advice
Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

George Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Yep, see them everywhere. Here in Kenya too. Funny thing is, they call England "that miserable old place" with a longing in their eyes. They bad-mouth England for breakfast, lunch and dinner but would they ever give up their UK passport, hell they would.

By all means, move abroad but do not think it will make you happy. If you are unhappy in Oldham you will be unhappy in Melbourne, unless the reason you are unhappy in Oldham is because your from Melbourne or the love of your life lives there. But that is different.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 4:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Cayman Islands, they're always after beauticians and hair dressers etc. because the work permits for those occupations are limited to three years, iirc (might be five, I forget exactly).

British Overseas Territory so not that much of a shock to the system.

Obviously the main downside is that you can't stay forever and it has a pretty high cost of living, but there are no taxes either.

www.caymanjobs.com
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by George Holmer Kenya
Yep, see them everywhere. Here in Kenya too. Funny thing is, they call England "that miserable old place" with a longing in their eyes. They bad-mouth England for breakfast, lunch and dinner but would they ever give up their UK passport, hell they would.

By all means, move abroad but do not think it will make you happy. If you are unhappy in Oldham you will be unhappy in Melbourne, unless the reason you are unhappy in Oldham is because your from Melbourne or the love of your life lives there. But that is different.
How true. A grump is a grump - morning, day and night. From time to time, I bump into expats who have checked out of meaningful working life and live off whatever comes their way. A sad way to fade away.

cannot decide canaries like Teneriffe or the caribic island although most of them are expensive but I am not sure about the Curaco the dutch parts.
1. What languages do you speak and understand besides English ?
2. Curaco, or for that matter ABC islands do not even allow dutch citizens from netherlands to live indefinitely.
3. Visit the places you would like to eventually settle down, check out the place before you dive in, so to speak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.