Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

us citizen wanting to move to the uk

us citizen wanting to move to the uk

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

sabrinamerchant is on a distinguished road
Question us citizen wanting to move to the uk

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some help. I'm currently a university student in the US but am graduating in the summer of 2005. I studied abroad in London in the Fall of 2003 and met my current boyfriend there. We have been going back and forth ever since, but I want to move there when I graduate. We are not engaged, but are planning to be soon. I want to live and settle there and find a job there before we do so. the problem is to get a job you have to have a permit to live and work there, and to live and work there you have to have a job. I know I dont want to leave here without a job secured. What do you think I should do? We can get engaged and i can get a fiance visa, but youre not allowed to work for six months on that visa and i would like to start putting my degree to use right away. please help! so confused!
- sabrina
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 2:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: us citizen wanting to move to the uk

Originally Posted by sabrinamerchant
Hi, I was wondering if I could get some help. I'm currently a university student in the US but am graduating in the summer of 2005. I studied abroad in London in the Fall of 2003 and met my current boyfriend there. We have been going back and forth ever since, but I want to move there when I graduate. We are not engaged, but are planning to be soon. I want to live and settle there and find a job there before we do so. the problem is to get a job you have to have a permit to live and work there, and to live and work there you have to have a job. I know I dont want to leave here without a job secured. What do you think I should do? We can get engaged and i can get a fiance visa, but youre not allowed to work for six months on that visa and i would like to start putting my degree to use right away. please help! so confused!
- sabrina
Basically, like all of us who've been in this situation, you are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

The question you need to ask yourself is this. What do you want to do more? is it

a) Be with your man.

b) Get a job.

if A, get a fiance visa and go this route, the job will come later, but at least you'll have your ILR in place and you'll be together.

if B, leave Uni and get a job. Look for things in the UK if you want, but it is difficult, possible but difficult. (just as it is to go the other way around)

You can't have both. Believe me, as someone who was in your position 4 years ago I know you can't have both. I chose A and it worked out for the best.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 3:27 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Basically, like all of us who've been in this situation, you are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

The question you need to ask yourself is this. What do you want to do more? is it

a) Be with your man.

b) Get a job.

if A, get a fiance visa and go this route, the job will come later, but at least you'll have your ILR in place and you'll be together.

if B, leave Uni and get a job. Look for things in the UK if you want, but it is difficult, possible but difficult. (just as it is to go the other way around)

You can't have both. Believe me, as someone who was in your position 4 years ago I know you can't have both. I chose A and it worked out for the best.

you married a man ?
guess you kept that quiet.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 10:23 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
you married a man ?
yeah I am.
someone has to put up with me.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 9:36 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

you married a man ?
Darn, you beat me to it!
Old Oct 29th 2004, 3:09 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Darn, you beat me to it!

glad you noticed it to.
hope his wife doesn't read this, he might have some explaining to do.

Last edited by candy wy.; Oct 29th 2004 at 3:55 am.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 12:46 pm
@matthewb76

glad you noticed it to.
hope his wife doesn't read this, he might have some explaining to do.
****inell, am I slow on the uptake.

pair of buggers.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 3:25 pm
staying around

****inell, am I slow on the uptake.

pair of buggers.

took you a while {6 days} but you got it in the end.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 12:19 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

pair of buggers.
Ahem. That would be you and option A then manc?