Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Sri Lanka....any Expats out there??!!

Sri Lanka....any Expats out there??!!

Old Oct 16th 2004, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Tomandness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sri Lanka....any Expats out there??!!

Hi

We are a family from the UK looking to relocate to Sri Lanka for Hubbies job....can anyone help with a few financial q's??! Have been trailing the web for ages and havent really had much luck in finding relevant sites with info...

If there is anyone living in Sri Lanka at the moment, could you maybe give us an idea of...

a) rental budget
B) cost of living...food, utilites, transport..
c) pre-school fees for under 3's
d) which part of town to live in??

Would really appreciate ANY help...even if u could give me some websites to view....

MANY THANKS!!!!

Ness
Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:33 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sri Lanka....any Expats out there??!!

Originally Posted by Tomandness
Hi

We are a family from the UK looking to relocate to Sri Lanka for Hubbies job....can anyone help with a few financial q's??! Have been trailing the web for ages and havent really had much luck in finding relevant sites with info...

If there is anyone living in Sri Lanka at the moment, could you maybe give us an idea of...

a) rental budget
B) cost of living...food, utilites, transport..
c) pre-school fees for under 3's
d) which part of town to live in??

Would really appreciate ANY help...even if u could give me some websites to view....

MANY THANKS!!!!

Ness
I Don't live there but my hubby's family live there and I have visited the family often.

I can't help with rental budget or pre school fees for under 3's as for which part of town again it would depend on where the job was. Is it in Colombo and if so where as travelling around Colombo can be a nightmare in rushhour traffic. It can take a long time to get from A to b.

See the below link for some rental agents

http://www.lankarealestate.com/useful.htm

Try this link for the overseas pre school

http://www.state.gov/m/a/os/1518.htm
http://www.osc.lk/

Cost of living is cheap for food if you are willing to eat the fresh local produce as soon as you start looking for the products from the western world you pay more. ie baked beans, breakfast cereal.

Transport should be cheap. You can even hire a driver for very little. Beware though as the cost for a local in a 3 Wheeler Taxi is generally a lot lower than that of a foreigner. There is of course the bus and train which are not even pennies but they get very overcrowded and in the heat I much prefered an air conditioned taxi which is metered. It still works out cheap if you are earning the British Pound.

I love Sri Lanka and everything the country has to offer.

If you need anymore information I will try and help or can ask the family. There was a girl on this forum before who was living in Sri Lanka. You could perhaps do a search.

For a pub that offers all the drinks you are used to from the UK try the Cricket Club Cafe 34, Queen Road. It is UK prices though

Bradman Bar – Cricket Club Café ( Open 11am-11pm.)
34, Queens Road,
Off Duplication Road
Tel: 250 1384
The most popular theme bar in town. The ambience breathes cricket with memorabilia, videos, and framed international shirts and is popular with cricket lovers and non-cricket clients alike. The prices of drinks and western-style bar food are reasonable and of a consistently high standard. A particularly attractive proposition for those yearning for their favourite pub back home.

Regards

Jo Dissanayake
Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Tomandness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sri Lanka....any Expats out there??!!

HI Jo

I really appreciate your reply.....I am just going to check out the website addresses u forwarded. Hubbie will actually be living in the Maldives for long-ish stretches and Colombo seems to be where a lot of other families are being housed....

MANY thanks again

Bye for now

Nessa