Moving to Philippines

Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

jones1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Philippines

I have a Filippino boyfriend and we are considering moving to his home island of Bohol. We are hoping to buy land and build a property. Does anyone know if this is possible without marrying? I have not yet visited the Island. How safe would it be for a British woman. Any other info would be be great.

Last edited by jones1; Sep 2nd 2004 at 1:03 pm. Reason: delete
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

melvinator is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving to Philippines

Originally Posted by jones1
I have a Filippino boyfriend and we are considering moving to his home island of Bohol. We are hoping to buy land and build a property. Does anyone know if this is possible without marrying? I have not yet visited the Island. How safe would it be for a British woman. Any other info would be be great.
I'm a Filipino but I've only been to Bohol once. It's a nice vacation spot but I wouldn't wanna live there because the lifestyle is very different from where I live(the capital, Manila) and very very very different from the UK. They don't have major commercial areas yet and you'll be bored to death there. IIRC, it's possible to own property here as long as your boyfriend owns it. Life there is relatively safe(much safer than major cities in the US & UK).

Also, you probably need to buy lots of water since IIRC, they don't have a good water treatment plant(the one here in Manila isn't even that good). Be careful when buying local food. I once bought a local delicacy from a store that was sealed in plastic and it had a cockroach inside(meaning the roach probably came from wherever they made the food).

If you want to live in the Philippines, I'd suggest Manila or if you don't want to be too far away from Bohol, Cebu which is only 2 hours away if you ride a ferry.