Moving to Capetown

Old Sep 23rd 2004, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

JComben is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to Capetown

My family may be moving to Capetown in the near future - work relocation. Can anyone give us any advice about areas to live; useful organisations or netowrking groups once we are there to help us integrate. In particular, does anyone know about support networks for mothers and young babies?
Old Sep 28th 2004, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Stuart James will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to Capetown

HI,

Give me a shout at Incompass, a call or e-mail them. We help out lots of Brits moving over to Cape Town. I'm on [email protected], Stuart James. I moved over 3 years ago and it was the best thing i ever did.

We can help with everything form orientation stuff - schools, doctors, housing etc through to tax issues, excahnge regulation etc.

Look forward to hearing for you

Stuart
Old Oct 4th 2004, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

I'd say try to get out of the city. I lived in a little place called Melbosstrand west of CT and even though it was a 30 mins drive into the CBD it was well worth it for the small town feel of it. On the other side of the city you have the squater camps with the increased rate of crime to contend with.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

ZimBabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Moving to Capetown

Originally Posted by JComben
My family may be moving to Capetown in the near future - work relocation. Can anyone give us any advice about areas to live; useful organisations or netowrking groups once we are there to help us integrate. In particular, does anyone know about support networks for mothers and young babies?
I spent some time in SeaPoint and GreenPoint which are both nice, the best place to live would probably be somewhere like Camps Bay, but it is very expensive and probably about 20-30 minutes drive to the City centre.

Another really nice place, which is probably better suited to families is Melkbosstrand (Not sure how it's spelt, but someone else mentioned it as well). It has lovely beaches within easy reach and crime is relatively low
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Stuart James will become famous soon enough

Hi

Sea Point has gone a little downhill in the last year or two. It is a beautiful place but the crime has increased a bit.

The lowest crime areas are Southern Suburbs - try having a look at Noordhoek, Kommetjie, Kalk Bay and Simons Time - again as oper your previous advice they are a little bit away from the town centre but are right next to the sea and relatively crime free.

Are you looking to buy or rent? I can probably give you an idea of prices etc if you like.

Not too sure about the support groups as i do not have kids, my relatives do so i can certaily get you some info on creche's after school clubs etc.

Let me know what info you require and i will try to get it for you

Cheers

Stuart