British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Rest of the World (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/)
-   -   Looking for Tropical Paradises with High Speed Internet. Need Help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/looking-tropical-paradises-high-speed-internet-need-help-649654/)

chrisjohsoncr Jan 17th 2010 12:15 am

Looking for Tropical Paradises with High Speed Internet. Need Help!

Hi Everybody

I am looking for a "tropical paradise" which offers high speed internet, and need some suggestions.

I have for example visited Hawaii. This is pretty perfect location as the weather is nice, internet is very fast and the beaches stretch forever.

I have also visited Cancun, which I thought was very nice. Safe, high speed internet, good weather, etc.

Now I am looking for a few more places like these. Can anybody recommend any particular place (city, island, country) which can combine high speed internet in a tropical setting?

Chris

johnh009 Jan 19th 2010 3:32 pm

Re: Looking for Tropical Paradises with High Speed Internet. Need Help!

Originally Posted by chrisjohsoncr (Post 8255213)
Hi Everybody

I am looking for a "tropical paradise" which offers high speed internet, and need some suggestions.

I have for example visited Hawaii. This is pretty perfect location as the weather is nice, internet is very fast and the beaches stretch forever.

I have also visited Cancun, which I thought was very nice. Safe, high speed internet, good weather, etc.

Now I am looking for a few more places like these. Can anybody recommend any particular place (city, island, country) which can combine high speed internet in a tropical setting?

Chris

Most of the Dominican Republic. I think you will find high speed Internet in most touristy countries, certainly where there are hotels. I have used it in places such as Cuba and Tobago also.

RayM. Jan 23rd 2010 1:15 am

Hi Chris,

I think I found the tropical and the Internet, but not quite the paradise, nor the high speed ...:D

The Caribbean islands offer a large variety to choose from: English, French, Dutch, Spanish, colonies or independent.

Have you visited St. Lucia, a small independent island country north of Trinidad, west of Barbados?
If you intend to come down here for a looksee trip, let me know in advance.

What do you need the Internet to be high speed for, do you do day-trading?
If you are a day-trader, I can advise you on issues very, very few people could ... :shades_smile:

Let me know.

Foxy_fromCanada Jan 25th 2010 6:17 pm

You probably won't find high-speed like you're used to at home here in the islands. My "high-speed" is equivalent to "high-speed LITE" back home. It's difficult to put in that sort of infrastructure when you're surrounded by water :rofl:

However maybe some of the larger ones do have a higher speed than I have.

Best of luck to you.

stiwi Feb 28th 2010 2:46 pm

Interesting thread.
@RayM: I think the OP meant "high speed" for stable and reliable internet connections, rather than for a high speed itself. If you need to connect with european servers each day and would like to rely on a good, stable and low pings connection - it might be hard to find.

I usually find it too hard to have the two factors working together well (tropical paradise + good internet). Most of the tropical paradises aren't well developed, so neither internet is. In Mexico I must say the internet connections worked pretty well in the places I have visited: Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, Cancun. But I would hardly find myself living there, mainly for the spanish official language and safety concerns.

In Belize on the other hand, the internet was poor when you compare it to Mexico. I used it on Caye Caulker which is a smaller island though, maybe San Pedro or Belize City offer better connections. Official english is a great factor there.

In Netherland Antilles, Curacao to be more specific, internet was working very good. But that can also differ depending on the place you stay, there were though few WIFI spots which I tried at the restaurants in the center that worked quite good and internet connection at Hilton Curacao which worked excellent.

Graham and Maria May 18th 2010 2:56 am

North Queensland, Australia ;)

Stephen Jones Jul 21st 2010 12:24 am

Originally Posted by chrisjohsoncr (Post 8255213)
Hi Everybody

Chris

ONE WORD: Singapore

stiwi Jul 21st 2010 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones (Post 8716448)
ONE WORD: Singapore

Like someone wrote before on this forum, there is no utopia. But indeed Singapore is a very nice country to live especially for young entrepreneurs. Weather wise it is more or less the same year round, also great location to visit surrounding countries.