British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Rest of the World (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/)
-   -   London science teachers want to start private tutoring service - - But where? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/london-science-teachers-want-start-private-tutoring-service-but-where-796302/)

NixSeb May 7th 2013 2:34 pm

London science teachers want to start private tutoring service - - But where?

Hello Expats,

My girlfriend and I are considering relocating from London to 'somewhere' abroad and offering our services as private tutors for Science and Mathematics. We are both Russell Group University educated in Biology and Physics and have British teaching qualifications.

I am aware that there is a large but disparate expat community globally. Therefore I am very interested if there are any regions in particular where parents have their children in high-end education systems and would very much make use of bespoke tutoring services in the hard sciences for university applicants.

My thoughts are of families working in offshore tax havens in finance perhaps who are lacking in top-end local tutoring services outside of school for their children up to A-level/IB level.

We are completely open to ideas and locations and I would be hugely grateful to hear of any experiences or problems parents have had with their children's education abroad, especially regarding the sciences and university aspirations.

Many thanks,

Nick

Gordon Barlow May 11th 2013 5:08 am

Re: London science teachers want to start private tutoring service - - But where?

Originally Posted by NixSeb (Post 10696254)
I am aware that there is a large but disparate expat community globally. Therefore I am very interested if there are any regions in particular where parents have their children in high-end education systems and would very much make use of bespoke tutoring services in the hard sciences for university applicants.
My thoughts are of families working in offshore tax havens in finance perhaps who are lacking in top-end local tutoring services outside of school for their children up to A-level/IB level.
We are completely open to ideas and locations and I would be hugely grateful to hear of any experiences or problems parents have had with their children's education abroad, especially regarding the sciences and university aspirations.

Nix. Writing from Cayman, one of those offshore tax-havens... Your main problem here - and maybe elsewhere too - would be getting Work Permits from the authorities. The most practical thing I can suggest is to apply to employment agencies in one of your possible destinations, and ask for feedback from them. It's good that you're flexible, because your eventual choice might choose itself, by being amenable to foreigners coming to make good the deficiencies in the local education system...!

NixSeb May 13th 2013 12:44 pm

Re: London science teachers want to start private tutoring service - - But where?

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 10703110)
Nix. Writing from Cayman, one of those offshore tax-havens... Your main problem here - and maybe elsewhere too - would be getting Work Permits from the authorities. The most practical thing I can suggest is to apply to employment agencies in one of your possible destinations, and ask for feedback from them. It's good that you're flexible, because your eventual choice might choose itself, by being amenable to foreigners coming to make good the deficiencies in the local education system...!

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your reply. Work Permits seem to be something I have been a bit naive about, I assumed most of the expat community would be located in countries with favourable relations with UK workers such as Australia.

Perhaps if anyone has any further details about which locations globally tend to be easier to get work visas as a British citizen that would be very helpful?

That information could be a good starting point for locations to approach the authorities.

Tax havens came to mind mainly due to an assumed higher concentration of higher earning parents with children in pre-university education.

Any colour on the situation in the Cayman Islands regarding schooling, etc, would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks,
Nick

seasons Apr 5th 2014 4:39 pm

Nick

Sign up with agencies and they will advice you accordingly....Usually, people from the UK secure work with schools out there and then offer additional private tuition ....

Seasons