Reload this Page >

Living in Kiev with my wife

Living in Kiev with my wife

Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Leeb65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Living in Kiev with my wife

Hi all,

I have a problem and need to know the answer from someone who knows.

I am English and live in Ukraine, last November I got married to a Ukrainian woman and we plan to stay in Ukraine, but we have been told I have to go back to England and apply for a visa to live here and tha they cannot register me here in Kiev. :curse:

Does anyone out there know of this and what I need to do?

Thanks in advance,

Lee
Old Mar 20th 2009, 11:55 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Kiev with my wife

Congrats on your marriage.

You need a lawyer who is familiar with immigration of non-CIS residents into Ukraine. What you are trying to do isn't particularly difficult or groundbreaking, but everyone and their dog will have their paw out for money. You will also need to clarify whether you actually need to return to the UK, or just need to leave Ukraine to have the visa issued (in which case you could run across to Poland for a weekend or whatever). Plenty of people just surf tourist visas one to the next and live there - although that is illegal and involves the occasional bribe.

Finding one isn't difficult, finding a decent one and affording it is a bit more tricky. If money were no object - you could just have one of the big US law firms like Baker & Mackenzie do it all for you.

I am assuming you don't speak Ukrainian. Have your wife read this: http://www.mfa.gov.ua/mfa/en/publica...ntent/1876.htm

Were you living in Kyiv before you got married?
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!

Yes, I have been living here now for around 1.5 years. It's not been a problem I have been registered from the start just leaving every so often and coming back. This proved no problem as I didn't need a visa.

I'm not sure if they want me to get an Immigration Visa or not.

Since this has happened, my wife has managed to get me registered for 3 months and in June we are traveling to England to visit my parents and we can visit the Ukrainian embassy while there. I will keep all here informed on this, so as to help others who find themselves in this situation.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:03 am
Just Joined

SandyW5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lee,

Just seen your post on here. I am a Brit. I have been living in Ukraine since Sep 07 and married a Ukrainian woman in that November. We live in the north east in Sumska Oblast. It’s rough! But I have never yet been asked for any bribes, so it’s not all bad.

As for visas, I do not rely on the current waiving of the visa rules as they could be tightened up at any time without notice. Strictly speaking you can only stay in Ukraine “visa free” for up to 3 months in any 6 month period. So just leaving and trying to return a day or two later is a bit of a gamble. Furthermore it could result in problems even if you are allowed entry. So I return to UK every 5/6 months to get a 6 month visa (this is the max they will give) from the Consulate in UK, and return to Ukraine after a couple of weeks. I put reason for visit as “to visit my wife”. You don’t need a letter of invitation, or any backup docs. I get an agency to do all the legwork, for a small fee, but it would not be difficult to do yourself. Goes like clockwork.

BTW, is your marriage recorded in your UK passport? The registrar insisted that they had to stamp my passport, including my wife’s name, as otherwise the marriage would not be recognised for official purposes in Ukraine.

After being married for two years you qualify to apply for a Ukraine Resident Permit. This has to be obtained from the Consulate in UK, and does apparently involve an interview.

What I would be interested to hear about is the procedure and potential for difficulty we might have in getting a UK visa for my wife.

Regards, Sandy
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:46 am
Just Joined

hi Sandy,

Thanks for your reply, I also have the stamp in my passport and that was when the problems started. The police now say I have no reason to be here.

We are applying for UK visitors visas this week, so I'll keep you informed.

Lee
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:25 am
Just Joined

aze2818 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

In most former Soviet countries you can extend your visa at MFA ( Ministry of Foreign Affairs ) Consular Department.I know this for sure for following countries;

Georgia
Azerbaijan
Armenia
Uzbekistan

its also same for marriage purposes there.You visit MFA and than nearest police station and get temporary resident card.

Looks like Ukraine put moe bureaucracy.Better you ask that Ukraine MFA consular departmen first and than think about going back to UK and gettig a new visa.
Old May 30th 2009, 3:44 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SandyW5
What I would be interested to hear about is the procedure and potential for difficulty we might have in getting a UK visa for my wife.
If you've been married for two years already, that's going to help a lot. Have you read through all of this: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...swivespartners
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,

I'm now wondering if anyone in Ukraine knows the law.

I was told to get a visa and I can stay for 6 months, so I get a visa and stay. Now the olice are saying I cannot stay for more than 3 months even with the visa. For what I paid 130 pounds for I have no idea.

Does anyone here know where I can get information regarding this that I can put under their noses and refuse to pay any fines they try to impose?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Note to Sandy: I applied for the visitor visa for my wife to visit the family in England and they refused her a visa.