Living in India

Old Apr 22nd 2003, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

dawnnad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in India

I have just registered and I haven't bothered to read up on how to use this site yet.

Yes I know I'm impatient but I want to get some feedback asap!

I am wanting to hear from anyone who is living in India. Me and my partner have talked about it for quite some time and I have started to make some basic enquiries, but can think of no better source of info than expats.

Please send me your experiences/advice and any other useful information you think would help us.

Thanking you in advance for your time
Old Apr 30th 2003, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Living in India

I stayed in Mumbai for 5 weeks, due to hubbys work. They wanted to extend the contract, but we both said NO WAY we are outta here.

There was just so much poverty and it was really dirty. There are beggers everywhere and people live in hand made shacks on the side of the street, with no running water or any facilities. Parents actually let their kids cr@p on the footpath.

Depending on where you want to go in India, I would not recommend Mumbai, but that is just my opinion. Delhi is supposed to be a lot better, so I have heard.
Old May 19th 2003, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Markysparky is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to boarding School in South India for six years then went back for my year out.

India is awesome but really hard at first (when you're new to the place, smells & culture and people)

My tips would be Choose where you live carefully, The major cities can get you down with the poverty & dirt etc

Try and be in a place you know other Expats to relate to, maybe another family you know, it helps if you can compare stories and laugh together, coming from a similar cultural point of view that is.

Finally do something while you're there, i don't know if its a retirement thing or what but if you don't have somthing positive to do (both you AND your partner) after the whole honeymoon period when the novelty has worn off it can get tough!

But yeah go for it, India will grow on you till, you cry when you get there and you cry when you leave!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:29 am
Just Joined

anshoo_n is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an indian citizen, 26 years of age. Born and brought up in Delhi. All my life I have wanted to go to UK !

I was really happy to know that you are considering to move to India.

It has both its pluses and minuses. It will take you some time to get used to the difference in culture, the poverty , the beggars, the smells, etc.

My advice, choose very carefully which city you want to stay in. Then get in touch with someone already living in that city , who can recommend a good living area. Take it from there !

Do let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

whmseeker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dawnnad
I have just registered and I haven't bothered to read up on how to use this site yet.

Yes I know I'm impatient but I want to get some feedback asap!

I am wanting to hear from anyone who is living in India. Me and my partner have talked about it for quite some time and I have started to make some basic enquiries, but can think of no better source of info than expats.

Please send me your experiences/advice and any other useful information you think would help us.

Thanking you in advance for your time

I think you will be better of living in southern cities - bangalore, chennai, hyderabad. here you see relatively lower population, better amenities and good IT opportunities.

If you decide to live in India you got to learn to love India. It's the only way you can be truely part of India. I can assure you onething, living in India is like experiencing the World.