Japan Police check

Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Linzania is on a distinguished road
Default Japan Police check

Hello,

I need a police check from Japan for my BUNAC Working Holiday Visa application. However, I am finding it difficult to find information for one because the police station is saying that I need a letter of proof from the High Commission in London as they do not issue to individuals. But, the HC in London do not issue requests for them.

I live in Osaka. I have read on the CIC website about getting one from Tokyo but surely I can get one from Osaka police dept. They are insisting I show them proof. How can I obtain a letter from a government body if they do not issue them?!

Any advice on how I can get one?

Thanks.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Linzania is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Japan Police check - HELP PLEASE!!

Does anyone know of anyone who has had to get a police check from Japan?

I have a letter from BUNAC saying that I need one as well as the document off the Canadian Immigration website confirming that for a visa to Canada I need a check as I have lived here for over 6 months...

But the Osaka police headquarters is refusing to give me one. Their suggestion is "send the application off to BUNAC without the police check, they will then send it to the CHC in London and the embassy will send you a nice signed letter saying that you need one, then send that to us." This will NOT work, BUNAC will not forward an incomplete application.

I am running out of ideas. I do not know where to go next. The Japanese "system" is ridiculous! Please help me!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 12:06 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Japan Police check - HELP PLEASE!!

I don't know if this will be any help to you, but the US State Dept has the following instructions for getting a police certificate (for a US visa) posted:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/re...city_3591.html
Police Certificates

Available. Japanese police certificates will not contain information about criminal convictions when:

1. The period of suspended sentence has ended;
2. The penalty of the crime was a fine, and the crime occurred more than five years ago;
3. The term of the prison sentence ended more than ten years ago; or
4. The conviction was vacated or the criminal was subject to a pardon or amnesty.

Persons convicted of crimes in Japan may obtain court conviction records indefinitely. The headquarters' records section of the Metropolitan or Prefectural police issues certificates which include a nationwide criminal records check.

Applicants Physically Present in Japan: Foreign nationals holding legal resident status and Japanese citizens must apply in person at the Metropolitan or Prefectural police headquarters having jurisdiction over their present place of residence in Japan. Processing time: approximately 3 weeks.

Applicants Outside of Japan: Former legal residents, former illegal aliens, and Japanese citizens, should apply at the nearest Japanese Consulate. Processing time: Two to three months.

Applicants Physically Present in Japan as Illegal Aliens: Officially, the Japanese police will not process requests for police good conduct certificates from illegal aliens while they are physically present in Japan. In some cases, however, the police will issue the appropriate police certificate, provided that the illegal alien submits to deportation proceedings and agrees to leave Japan by a date specified by Japanese Immigration.

U.S. Forces, Japan (USFJ): Criminal records of the Japanese and USFJ police are not cross-indexed. Therefore, a crime that occurred in one jurisdiction may not be reported to the police of the other jurisdiction. USFJ applicants, (civilian employees or military personnel, and family members), who are physically present in Japan under the Status of Forces Agreement, (SOFA) must show the results of a check of both Japanese and USFJ criminal records. This type of USFJ police certificate will explicitly state that Japanese as well as USFJ criminal records were both checked and give the results. Processing time: Approximately two months.

Other USFJ police agencies issue a police certificate stating that only USFJ criminal records were checked. Processing time: Approximately two weeks. Such applicants must then obtain a separate Japanese police certificate, as described above.

USFJ police certificates are unavailable to applicants outside of Japan. However, Defense Department law enforcement agencies may be able to determine if an applicant, who formerly resided in Japan under the SOFA, engaged in criminal activity.