Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

I'm A Brit...Get Me Out of Here !

I'm A Brit...Get Me Out of Here !

Old May 20th 2003, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

cally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm A Brit...Get Me Out of Here !

After a recent divorce, my thirteen year old son and myself wish to leave the UK.

I have investigated the USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Europe.

I was married for 16 years, have only rusty skills, so do not qualify under various points sytems. This is despite being a millionaire several times over in many countries !

I need to select somewhere with an international type school which will teach primarily in English, although we both will learn whatever language.

I am stuck ! Anyone any ideas ? Thank you.

Disillusioned Brit Trying to Escape
Old May 21st 2003, 3:13 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm A Brit...Get Me Out of Here !

Originally posted by cally
After a recent divorce, my thirteen year old son and myself wish to leave the UK.

I was married for 16 years, have only rusty skills, so do not qualify under various points sytems. This is despite being a millionaire several times over in many countries !

I need to select somewhere with an international type school which will teach primarily in English, although we both will learn whatever language.

I am not sure the purpose of your posting. Are you asking for suggestions about where to immigrate?

Or, are you looking for suggestions for schools for your son?

Regards,

NC Penguin
Old May 21st 2003, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Hi Peng

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. The purpose of the message is to ask for suggestions as to where we may legally immigrate.

I tried the obvious ones but since I have been a housewife and mum for 16 years, my rusty skills, do not allow me the "points" needed for entry. Despite having sufficient funds to keep us for the next 10-20 years.

And yes, I do need a good international type school for my son to prepare him for the IB probably.

Having worked in the travel industry prior to marriage I have been to most parts of the world. But it seems there is not once place which has reasonable real estate, AND a good school within striking distance.

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you
Old May 21st 2003, 4:51 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peng

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. The purpose of the message is to ask for suggestions as to where we may legally immigrate.

I tried the obvious ones but since I have been a housewife and mum for 16 years, my rusty skills, do not allow me the "points" needed for entry. Despite having sufficient funds to keep us for the next 10-20 years.

And yes, I do need a good international type school for my son to prepare him for the IB probably.

Having worked in the travel industry prior to marriage I have been to most parts of the world. But it seems there is not once place which has reasonable real estate, AND a good school within striking distance.

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you
Have you considered staying within the EU? There would be no immigration issues (assuming both you and your son hold British passports).

What about Eire and the Netherlands? The Dutch have a very good command of the English language and I would think there are good schools there, suitable for your son.

The best thing to do is to check the relevant embassies immigration pages and see what is required to move there.

Maybe the British Council can help you find English language schools in any countries of interest to you.

Best of luck,

NC Penguin
Old May 21st 2003, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi Penguin

Thank you for your reply. We lived in Eire for ten years, only recently returning to the UK. Neither of us would wish to live there again.

I had not considered Holland at all. I assumed the language would be too difficult. I will check it out.

Yes, we are both born in the UK, but it is SO different now, I do not think it is a good place for children or young people. And SO expensive.

Many thanks for your kind wishes. Much appreciated.

Bye for now
Old May 22nd 2003, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Cally,

OK, I read your post with interest and I totally understand how you feel about life in the UK these days! (Which is why I don't live there anymore).

I understand that your main aim is to 'legally' Immigrate to an English speaking nation right?

OK, I have possible options:

1). South Africa

2). Malaysia

I am not 100% sure about your options for South Africa but someone else on this site told me there are several ways to get into the country. If money is no object then SA might be the right option for you?

Regarding Malaysia, they have a special scheme called 'Malaysia My Second Home' which allows just about everyone in on a social visit pass for re-newable 5 year periods.

For the Malaysian scheme there are two groups, those over 50 and those under 50. There is a requirement of a regular monthly income for under 50's of around 1,200 Quid plus a lump sum deposit of around 16,000 to be held in a local bank.

Both are kind of English speaking nations and there are decent International schools in both countries.

Maybe you could do some research on the net and see what you can find? Oz, Canada, NZ and the like are not going to be options due to the points required.

Unless of course you are 55 or above then you could possibly enter OZ under the retirement visa but you'll need around 250,000 Quid in cash for that one.

Let me know your views.

Cheers
Old May 22nd 2003, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Hulloo Paddythepilot

Are you really a pilot ? Just I was cabin crew. Thanks for your reply. Yes, under 50 and both SA and Malaysia possibilities for sure. Correct 100% on aim. Paddy for Irish ? Just we lived in SE Ireland for some time (Eire not north).

We lived in Malaysia for awhile too, when my son was younger but politically, are they stable ? I seem to remember seeing something about Mahathir (cant spell) being threatened for locking up one of his ministers ?

Also, I am rather nervous of SA - lived in Lagos, West Africa until I was ten, and read all the press recently about farmers being evicted from their farms to be returned to black African hands. Nervous we may get chopped up! But yes, the Rand is a good exchange rate and we could afford it.

Quite fancy HKG but not sure we can stretch to that kind of price. Last time I knew someone there, it was VERY pricey, even to rent.

Also, had not considered Australia - thank you ! The creepy crawlies put me off and I know nothing about the education system. But I could find out. Rather silly being worried about the odd black widow when I have dealt with scorpions in the bath, and snakes in the lav - more food for thought ! Thank you. Must one be over 50 for the Retirement Visa I wonder ?

Latest idea from the net is Bulgaria. Cheap property, nice infrastructure. But wierd language and even alphabet. Son is young enough to pick it up, but me ? Not sure. My smattering of Greek, Arabic, French and Spanish look sick compared to Bulgarian. And I have not checked yet on their stability/health care provision/education. I have a feeling they were part of the old Russia, but again, have not checked yet.

Back to Malaysia. My experience was limited but we lived in the up-market bit (a company apartment) (remember one of the ministers owned a home there) but the name escapes me. I found driving there OK and shops great ! Sounds like from the financial point of view we would qualify for one of the schemes.

Another poss is Mexico. But their laws (or lack of) worry me. OK The mordita is no different to the backhander but I am not very good at dealing with that kind of thing.

I am so pleased you took the time to reply to my plea ! It really is good of you, and very interesting. Lots to think about !

BFN

Cally
England
Old May 23rd 2003, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

And I thought my life was complicated?!

You've certainly been about a bit, some would say you were looking for something you may never find, anyway good luck whatever way you may turn!
Old May 23rd 2003, 3:08 am
Keelie

You mentioned Mexico. There are thousand of Canadians and Americans living very happily in Mexico. Your British pounds will certainly go a long way toward a comfortable life there.
Even retirees on modest means are able to employ daily help..cleaners, cooks, gardeners etc.,
There are international schools in the big cities such as Guadalahara, where many expats have homes, I've heard that the universities are satisfactory, although many wealthy Mexicans send their kids to the states.

Entry into the country is fairly easy, and cost of living is reasonable. There are many high-end European-type 'compounds' in gated areas, but most expats live in nice districts with mixed nationalities. The weather's fabulous, and the natives are friendly and appreciative of an opportunity to work for you.

Old May 23rd 2003, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Cally,

Yes I am Irish, well technically speaking I am an Irish citizen, but born in the UK. As for being a pilot, I have a pilots licence and I can fly twin engined aircraft but I don't fly commercially.

OK, seems you have seen most of the World already so I am gona recommend another option for you:

Choose one country from your usual suspects (OZ, NZ, Canada or US) and the decide which one suits you the best.

After that, consider going to that country as a student by enroling into a University course and studying for an occupation that will give you the best chance of a job offer or enough points.

Obvious occupations in need would include, teaching, occupational therapy or nursing.

Once you have your student visa your Son becomes a 'dependant' on your visa so can attend any school you fancy subject to payment of fees etc.

Hopefully, at the end of a 3-4 year period of intensive but enjoyable study you can either find a company, hospital or school who will offer you a job (plus work permit) or even have enough points for the immigration process.

Obviously you have to do your homework carefully, but I think you will find most of the above countries give bonus points to applications who hold Uni degrees from that country.

Just an idea, hope it helps?
Old May 24th 2003, 6:47 am
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

You could consider Sweden, if you can stand the cold it is a great place to raise kids. The Swedes have a very good attitude to kids and in a small town like we live they have huge ammounts of freedom. English is the second language and the education policy states that children must be provided with additional lessons in their own language. If you really want an international school they have some in Stockholm although the Swedish educational system is considered to be very good.

If your son is keen on sports and outdoor activites there is a lot to do here. In the summer sailing in the archipelago is very popular and fun too, the fishing is good and there are plenty of woods to go trecking/camping in.

In the winter all the lakes/ponds freeze and it is totally safe to go ice skating on them. The teenage kids play ice hockey all winter and rollerblade hockey in the warmer weather. There is plenty of down hill skiing to be had in the north of the country and cross country skiing in the south.

Crime is very low. The air quality is extremely high. Also there does not seem to be the same kind of 'macho male ego' here as in the UK. Men share the responsibilty of child rearing and housework with their female partners (most people in Sweden co-habit rather than getting married) much more than in the UK. We have some very good male babysitters who are very responsible, teenage boys here think nothing of looking after younger siblings it is not considrered something that only the girls do.

On the downside the Swedish language is not very useful outside of Scandanavia (but they do give immigrants every opportunity to learn it with free lessons for adults and extra lessons for kids). The Swedish mentality takes a little getting used to, they are very much rule followers and don't question rules and regulations no matter how stupid they are. The income tax is extremely high and although healthcare is free you have to pay a fee (120 SEK=£9.35) to see a doctor and you pay full price for all prescriptions, even for kids. Dental care is also fairly expensive. You also have to like snow a lot since you will have it for at least 2 months of the year, depending on where you live. Temperaures dip to as low as -20 to -30 degrees C in the winter and winter generally lasts for around 5 months of the year with quite short autumn and spring. Summer is great though with warm temperatures between 20 and 30 degrees C and blue skies for weeks on end.

Since Sweden is part of the EU there is no problem obtaining a residency permit and they positively encourage people to emigrate into the country as their population is farly low. The exchange rate is very favourable at the moment with £1 buying you around 13 SEK and housing is farly cheap in comparison to the UK (although in Sweden the prices are considered high at the moment and due to drop soon).

Some food for though anyway - good luck with your choice, it seems like you have plenty of options.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 10:46 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Emm
You could consider Sweden, if you can stand the cold it is a great place to raise kids. The Swedes have a very good attitude to kids and in a small town like we live they have huge ammounts of freedom. English is the second language and the education policy states that children must be provided with additional lessons in their own language. If you really want an international school they have some in Stockholm although the Swedish educational system is considered to be very good.

If your son is keen on sports and outdoor activites there is a lot to do here. In the summer sailing in the archipelago is very popular and fun too, the fishing is good and there are plenty of woods to go trecking/camping in.

In the winter all the lakes/ponds freeze and it is totally safe to go ice skating on them. The teenage kids play ice hockey all winter and rollerblade hockey in the warmer weather. There is plenty of down hill skiing to be had in the north of the country and cross country skiing in the south.

Crime is very low. The air quality is extremely high. Also there does not seem to be the same kind of 'macho male ego' here as in the UK. Men share the responsibilty of child rearing and housework with their female partners (most people in Sweden co-habit rather than getting married) much more than in the UK. We have some very good male babysitters who are very responsible, teenage boys here think nothing of looking after younger siblings it is not considrered something that only the girls do.

On the downside the Swedish language is not very useful outside of Scandanavia (but they do give immigrants every opportunity to learn it with free lessons for adults and extra lessons for kids). The Swedish mentality takes a little getting used to, they are very much rule followers and don't question rules and regulations no matter how stupid they are. The income tax is extremely high and although healthcare is free you have to pay a fee (120 SEK=£9.35) to see a doctor and you pay full price for all prescriptions, even for kids. Dental care is also fairly expensive. You also have to like snow a lot since you will have it for at least 2 months of the year, depending on where you live. Temperaures dip to as low as -20 to -30 degrees C in the winter and winter generally lasts for around 5 months of the year with quite short autumn and spring. Summer is great though with warm temperatures between 20 and 30 degrees C and blue skies for weeks on end.

Since Sweden is part of the EU there is no problem obtaining a residency permit and they positively encourage people to emigrate into the country as their population is farly low. The exchange rate is very favourable at the moment with £1 buying you around 13 SEK and housing is farly cheap in comparison to the UK (although in Sweden the prices are considered high at the moment and due to drop soon).

Some food for though anyway - good luck with your choice, it seems like you have plenty of options.

I lived in Sweden (Malmö, Helsingborg, and Stockholm) for 6 years, and I could definitely help you out with international schools all over the country. I moved around a lot while I was there, and attended 3 English speaking schools in total, all of them offering the IB.

-Becs
Old Aug 27th 2004, 11:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cally

Could try the middle east, lot of English schools out in Dubai, Qatar and Bahrain...just a thought
Old Aug 27th 2004, 11:37 pm
Keelie

This thread is more than a year old...wonder why it's being brought up again?
The Millionairess who posted it has not been heard from in some time.....maybe she's done a bunk to a Tax Haven...that's what I'd do!

Originally Posted by cally

Old Aug 27th 2004, 11:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelie
This thread is more than a year old...wonder why it's being brought up again?
The Millionairess who posted it has not been heard from in some time.....maybe she's done a bunk to a Tax Haven...that's what I'd do!
That's a fair point...
oh well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.