Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Old Aug 9th 2004, 11:29 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Thanks guys for all the advice but although ireland is beeeautiful its bloody cold and my bones creak enough now in manchester so i think St. Maartens and belize and gib sound great alteratives although Australia would win hands down every time, so ill just have to wait and hope and see.

Thankyou all.
alk
Old Aug 10th 2004, 2:01 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Thanks guys for all the advice but although ireland is beeeautiful its bloody cold and my bones creak enough now in manchester so i think St. Maartens and belize and gib sound great alteratives although Australia would win hands down every time, so ill just have to wait and hope and see.

Thankyou all.
alk
here is a pic of the beach in St Maarten.
St Maarten - Princess Juliana Airport.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:32 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

hi

But more importantly is there anywhere out there that meets my criteria of
A. english speaking
B.warm climate.
C:by the sea
D: nowhere in the uk

alk
I believe there is a population problem (too few people) on Pitcairn;-)
Old Aug 14th 2004, 7:24 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by acer rose
I believe there is a population problem (too few people) on Pitcairn;-)
As an EU citizen, you can live in overseas French departments without a visa:

France
French overseas départements are outside EU fiscal VAT area but in the EU. French overseas territories and collectivities are outside the EU. Nevertheless their citizens are European citizens too.

[edit]
French Guiana
French Guiana is a French overseas département and therefore seen as an integral part of France. Full EU law applies there. As in France, the euro is legal tender.

[edit]
French Polynesia
French Polynesia is not part of the EU, and does not use the euro. However, the Franc Pacifique is tied to the euro at 655.957 FCP per euro.

[edit]
Martinique and Guadeloupe
The Caribbean islands of Martinique and Guadeloupe are French overseas départements and therefore seen as an integral part of France. Full EU law applies there. As in France, the euro is legal tender.

[edit]
Mayotte
Mayotte, an island between Madagascar and Africa, is a French overseas collectivity (collectivité territoriale) and therefore not part of the EU. The euro is legal tender.

[edit]
Réunion
Réunion, an island in the Indian Ocean, is a French overseas département and therefore seen as an integral part of France. Full EU law applies there. As in France, the euro is legal tender.

[edit]
Saint-Pierre and Miquelon
The islands of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon are a French overseas collectivity (collectivité territoriale), and therefore not part of the EU. The euro is legal tender, though Canadian and US dollars are also accepted.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 7:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

hi
... I dont care if its an island or a continent, and have heard of a SAINT something or other ...
alk

St Helena....

Out in the middle of no where, but they do have tele, a mate was from there, there's a couple on the island apparantly....
Old Aug 14th 2004, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bobz
St Helena....
I've never been there, but I made some inquiries about the island a couple of years ago, and even subscribed to their newspaper (about a half dozen pages, once a week!) for a while.

Everything arrives by ship from South Africa, one load every few weeks, although there was talk of building a small airstrip. It's British territory, but even for a British citizen there seem to be restrictions inasmuch as the island governor decides who can stay. On a more practical note, housing is in short supply, I believe.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 9:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PBC_1966
I've never been there, but I made some inquiries about the island a couple of years ago, and even subscribed to their newspaper (about a half dozen pages, once a week!) for a while.

Everything arrives by ship from South Africa, one load every few weeks, although there was talk of building a small airstrip. It's British territory, but even for a British citizen there seem to be restrictions inasmuch as the island governor decides who can stay. On a more practical note, housing is in short supply, I believe.
I wouldn't know too much about the details, but my mate had a British passport and was born there, lived till he was 12...sounds like a nice place at least, minus the technology....certainly no traffic problems
And it's got some history behind it, the holding place of Boney anyway
Old Aug 14th 2004, 10:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobz
I wouldn't know too much about the details, but my mate had a British passport and was born there, lived till he was 12...sounds like a nice place at least, minus the technology....certainly no traffic problems
And it's got some history behind it, the holding place of Boney anyway
If your mate was born in St Helena then he's probably entitled to live there if he wishes.

People from St Helena only became full British citizens on 21 May 2002, although before that date some 'Saints' had British citizenship through links with the UK. Virtually everyone from the territory also holds British overseas territories citizenship.

The fact that people from St Helena now have British citizenship does not give people from the UK the right to live there.

Jeremy
Old Aug 16th 2004, 4:53 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

On Ireland, we were in Dublin earlier this year and found it was more expensive than London. Apparently it's the Euro effect.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 10:16 am
Just Joined

trudyanne is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i have been in goa India, for two years.
Its by the sea.
Warm climate year round. Monsoon it gets rainy but still warm.
You easily get 6 month visas.
Which can be extended to year visas at little cost.
And its cheap.
lots of brit expats living there.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

But more importantly is there anywhere out there that meets my criteria of
A. english speaking
B. warm climate.
C: by the sea
D: nowhere in the uk
Malta in the Mediterranean is the place to be!
Old Sep 11th 2004, 9:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
Malta in the Mediterranean is the place to be!
And since May 2004, I believe British citizens can live there freely. However finding employment in Malta may be difficult, and not everyone will find the culture there (especially it's strongly Catholic basis) to their liking.

Jeremy
Old Sep 13th 2004, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by elfintrot
Try Malaysia
Malaysia my second home is a govt programme that encourages foriegners to come and live here.. only draw back u need monthly income from ur overseas sources.
Great weather, great food, nice people and we speak manglish(u will understand the malay english mix)
Seriously, going back to this 'Malaysia My Second Home', don't discount this scheme.

I have looked at this closely & what with currently living in Hong Kong, Malaysia is just down the road for me!

They have good food, cheapish property & just about everyone speaks English (in various forms).

Love beaches, and pretty 'warm' all year round........sorted!

Oh, by the way, it's a bloody long way from the UK.

Good luck!
Old Sep 13th 2004, 2:07 pm
DarrenD

Talking Re: I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Try zimbabwe

Old Sep 13th 2004, 8:45 pm
It's full of stars

in2deep is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
Bermuda.
Gibralter.
Spain
France
Germany
Denmark
Sweden
Greece
Cyprus
Forget Denmark! We have a perfectly foul climate here in the winter, and the paperwork to get a residency permit, (and pretty much anything actually), is copious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.