Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Originally Posted by clydewylde
Singapore, cool weather, low crime-rate, 90% of the population speaks English, but lifestyle is expensive. It's an open country, you can pay a visit anytime.
All nationals referred to in the chart above (i.e. British) require a Social Visit Pass, which is issued on arrival, provided the traveller holds a valid passport, sufficient funds to cover stay in Singapore, confirmed onward/return tickets and entry documentation for further destinations. For nationals holding British and Irish passports, the maximum length of stay is 30 days; for other nationals the maximum length of stay is 7 or 14 days depending on nationality. Visitors on a Social Visit Pass are not permitted to work in Singapore. Extensions of up to 90 days can be applied for at the time, depending on nationality. (b) Nationals not referred to in the chart above are advised to contact the embassy to check visa requirements .
Old May 24th 2011, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

stiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Malta has the lot...driving distance to all points Eu, sea all round, no crime
reasonable, plenty of Brits, English spoken, great history and architecture, all mod cons ..be great for your Dad..check it out!
You made a valid point regarding Malta. It is certainly the warmest english speaking country in Europe. Just bear in mind that for some it might not be warm enough, especially during winter months. I lived there for 2.5 year and enjoyed it much. Climate is nice and since OP mentioned about Australia, he should be fine with maltese weather as it is similar. It is conveniently located between Europe and Africa, within reasonable 3 hours flight from UK, although proximity of Libya is bothering and maltese government struggle with illegal immigrants. It was a very safe country, but I am not sure how it is now. Also Malta has been voted few times in a row as a country that has best climate in the world by International Living magazine.

Originally Posted by clydewylde
Singapore, cool weather, low crime-rate, 90% of the population speaks English, but lifestyle is expensive. It's an open country, you can pay a visit anytime.
I live in Singapore now and completely agree with the above. It doesn't however meet OP's requirements, as without paperwork you can't live there freely. Tourist visa is valid for 3 months and is renewed on each entry. On the other hand Singapore offers great business opportunities and income derived from abroad is tax free. In addition there are low income taxes, only 7% GST, cheap taxis, cheap food but expensive properties. Also if you are looking for laid back attitude, Singapore certainly doesn't offer it. It's a strict country with strict rules and huge fines, reminds me of a well run company and people working hard for the great "company" results. Government salaries are probably the highest in the world, therefore corruption is almost non-existing. Probably this would be a dream country to live if it wouldn't be so congested and offer some beach facilities and swimmable sea conditions (i.e. not polluted by ship tanks). Great location though and cheap flights across Asia makes it affordable to explore.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice

Originally Posted by anuny
Not for long. Netherlands Antilles is going to be dissolved/reconstituted and hence a whole new different ballgame.

What worries me is Sint Maarten. It is currently half french and half dutch. It will become independent country under the Kingdom of Netherland.
Is there any news on Sint Maarten?
Old May 25th 2011, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice

Deb-123

Re: Anyone Living In St Martin?
It's possible that there's confusion because the island is half French half Dutch. The French part - St Martin - is part of France (a department of Paris) & thus is part of the EU. An EU citizen has the same right to reside & work as they do in any other part of the EU. The Dutch part - Sint Maarten - is part of the Netherland Antilles & is not part of the EU. Thus, the only people with an automatic right to reside & work on the Dutch side are holders of Dutch or Netherland Antilles passports. Although there are no border controls (so one moves freely between the 2) they are separate territories with their own laws, currency, language, etc.

Hope that helps!
From here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583866

Interesting, this is the main point:

"The French part - St Martin - is part of France (a department of Paris) & thus is part of the EU. An EU citizen has the same right to reside & work as they do in any other part of the EU."
Old May 26th 2011, 1:18 am
Just Joined

lokerra is an unknown quantity at this point

warm climate? maybe dominican republic but they speak spanish.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 5:41 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crowbar93
Is it correct that anyone with an EU passport can just move to the French Overseas Territories? This thread would seem to suggest it, but I always thought you had to be French. Then again, I also thought Belize was a lawless country run by the drug trade.

Anyway, suggestions and advice would be much appreciated, cheers.
They are not overseas territories, they are directly part of France, which is why you can live there (as a citizen of an EU state) provided they're included in Shengen (I think all the Caribbean French islands are). Which in a way is good, but bear in mind it's France, which means high taxes, which is why they're not that popular as they generally have a high cost of living as well.

Belize, I heard they'd made it more difficult to move there as well in recent years. As I recall you can live there as a retiree without too much difficulty, you just need enough money, but being authorized to work there is more difficult.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 5:44 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by akatomw
Is there any news on Sint Maarten?
The Netherlands Antilles were dissolved last year and Sint Maarten is now autonomous.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 1:18 am
Just Joined

BritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really nice

Any more ideas ?!
Just joined the forum but have been wanting to live somewhere warm an by the sea for a long time.
Sadly would need a job too !!
But finding the right place is key.
I know a bit of French (like GCSE school level so nothing great) but find France annoying !! Anyway am looking further afield than France.
Love scuba diving and interesting nature (on land, sea or air). Although scuba diving is pricey !
Have decent IT network skills, although not necessarily looking for a job in this field.
Happy with a basic existance for now - like BBQing fish I've caught myself (not comercially, just fishing rod and the sea !!) or cheap foods.
I'm also an Australian citizen although have only visited a few times. I'm looking for somewhere less developped / massive than Australua though - if that makes sense.
I'd love Bonaire but think its seriously difficult to get residency / stay over 6 months unless you're Dutch and even then you need to take a test in the native Bonaire language. Even though ypu blatantly don't need that language !!
Old Apr 8th 2012, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritAus
Any more ideas ?!
Just joined the forum but have been wanting to live somewhere warm an by the sea for a long time.
Sadly would need a job too !!
But finding the right place is key.
I know a bit of French (like GCSE school level so nothing great) but find France annoying !! Anyway am looking further afield than France.
Love scuba diving and interesting nature (on land, sea or air). Although scuba diving is pricey !
Have decent IT network skills, although not necessarily looking for a job in this field.
Happy with a basic existance for now - like BBQing fish I've caught myself (not comercially, just fishing rod and the sea !!) or cheap foods.
I'm also an Australian citizen although have only visited a few times. I'm looking for somewhere less developped / massive than Australua though - if that makes sense.
I'd love Bonaire but think its seriously difficult to get residency / stay over 6 months unless you're Dutch and even then you need to take a test in the native Bonaire language. Even though ypu blatantly don't need that language !!
You are an Aussie citizen and you ask this! , Cook Town ,Cape York , Wiepa ,Siesia etc etc ,you can work there legally , full med care , and no language barrier, if these places wont do I think you are looking for somewhere that does not exist.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

BritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really nice

I never really considered that far up as I'm always told that cyclones are a serious problem, mining towns are full of drunken frustrated blokes looking for a fight, and its just too flamin' hot & humid !!

But I will look into this seriously as a viable option. Property seems really scarce. Thanks very much for these ideas.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritAus
I never really considered that far up as I'm always told that cyclones are a serious problem, mining towns are full of drunken frustrated blokes looking for a fight, and its just too flamin' hot & humid !!

But I will look into this seriously as a viable option. Property seems really scarce. Thanks very much for these ideas.
Bonaire will be hot and humid and have cyclones too , if you want somewhere a bit more tame than northern QLD and where you can use you IT skills but still have a tropical paradise on your doorstep check out Cairns
Old Apr 14th 2012, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Have we talked about the Canary Islands?

Are they Spanish so any EU passport holder can move there?

Wondering
Old May 17th 2012, 12:09 am
Just Joined

fashionist is an unknown quantity at this point

want to go stay with my children to adopt my culture and have family ties in Zimbabwe, what type of stay do i need as a British citizen?
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Yes this is an OLD thread, but I found this comment and wanted to post it here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=583866&page=4
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=583866&page=4

So...The French did the whole EU thing right.

As far as I can tell, as EU citizens you can live, work, stay in a bunch of French Islands, without applying for anything. It is about as easy as moving down the street. They may have weird requirements (language, permits) that make it difficult for you to find a job, but in theory there is nothing preventing it.

The only requirement (other than your passport) is that if you are planning to stay for longer than three months you might have to go by the town hall and register (that is the normal french rule anyway). This is just a quick and immediate registration process, no drawn out application process, just get a receipt (probably useful for tax purposes down the road).

In addition, as an EU citizen, your non-eu spouse (or dependent children, or dependent parents) are allowed to join you if you have a job or sufficient means to support yourself. (See details)
http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citiz...parents_en.htm

Sample of EU entry requirements to St. Barts (compared to Canadian)

St Barts tourist site says for European Citizens:
"All citizens of the European Union must have a valid passport."

St. Barts for Canadians and Americans:
"All American and Canadian citizens arriving in Saint Barth must have a valid passport, as well a round-trip ticket or proof of continuation of travel. A visa is not necessary if the intended stay on the island is inferior to, or equal to, 30 days.
However, the passport must be valid and not expire for at least three months from the date of entry to the territory of St Barthélemy."

Entry into Saint. Martin (weird case split island with St Maarten dutch)

Looking specifically at St. Martin (the french side), there are some weird rules, like you can enter the french side airport with just an EU passport, but if you enter the dutch airport (the major airprot) you will require a return ticket home. I don't know how it works with living on the dutch side, but since there is no border, I doubt it would be very hard.

There may be a few other weird rules or rule changes with St. Martin or St. Barts as they are currently changing status with the EU, but the treaty is clear and should apply.

The Rest
Full List of French Places which get the full EU treatment (four freedoms) because they are specifically listed in the EU treaty.

This appears to apply to all the french Islands:
Guadeloupe
French Guiana
Martinique
Réunion
Saint-Barthélemy
Saint-Martin
the Azores
Madeira
Canary Islands

Direct Text from the EU Treaty:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...83:FULL:EN:PDF

1. The provisions of the Treaties shall apply to Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, Réunion,
Saint-Barthélemy, Saint-Martin, the Azores, Madeira and the Canary Islands in accordance with
Article 349.

2. The special arrangements for association set out in Part Four shall apply to the overseas countries
and territories listed in Annex II.
9.5.2008 EN Official Journal of the European Union C 115/197The Treaties shall not apply to those overseas countries and territories having special relations with the
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland which are not included in the aforementioned
list.

6. The European Council may, on the initiative of the Member State concerned, adopt a decision
amending the status, with regard to the Union, of a Danish, French or Netherlands country or territory
referred to in paragraphs 1 and 2. The European Council shall act unanimously after consulting the
Commission.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 11:03 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is interesting, but it kind of boils down to

1st world infrastructure
3rd world cost of living
Hassle free residency
Easy employment options
Oh and a nice tropical climate and a place to live by the beach.

Bonus points for

English speaking
Good beer
Local female population throws themselves wantonly at any middle aged European guy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.