Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

British citizenship for South African born child.

British citizenship for South African born child.

Old Apr 3rd 2016, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Bonusmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizenship for South African born child.

Hello!

My partner is British and has a daughter who was born in South Africa in 2010. She currently holds a South African passport. When she was born, my partner and his ex wife(South African) were advised that thier daughter could not have a British passport as she was born after a certain date.

We are exploring the possibility of K coming to live in the UK without mum for a while and wondered how we might do this. It seems quite difficult to gain any information from the South African side, so I'm starting research this side of the water.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 8:03 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship for South African born child.

Originally Posted by Bonusmum
Hello!

My partner is British and has a daughter who was born in South Africa in 2010. She currently holds a South African passport. When she was born, my partner and his ex wife(South African) were advised that thier daughter could not have a British passport as she was born after a certain date.

We are exploring the possibility of K coming to live in the UK without mum for a while and wondered how we might do this. It seems quite difficult to gain any information from the South African side, so I'm starting research this side of the water.
If the mother was a British Citizen otherwise than by descent, then the daughter is ALREADY a British Citizen, and just needs to get a passport, who ever advised your partner was an idiot and got it totally wrong.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 8:12 am
Just Joined

I'm afraid mum is SA and dad (my partner) is British.

Does that change things?
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If the mother was a British Citizen otherwise than by descent, then the daughter is ALREADY a British Citizen, and just needs to get a passport, who ever advised your partner was an idiot and got it totally wrong.
The child's father is British, her mother is South African, per the OP's post. I don't know if this makes any difference. Both my kids were born in SA (1982 and 1985) but we are both British citizens.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 8:17 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid mum is SA and dad (my partner) is British.

Does that change things?
Sorry, misread your first post, if you partner is British otherwise than by descent, then his daughter will already be a British Citizen and just needs to get a British Passport.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Sorry, misread your first post, if you partner is British otherwise than by descent, then his daughter will already be a British Citizen and just needs to get a British Passport.
How do we prove she is a British citizen? Currently she holds a SA passport and we apply for visas every time she come to the UK. We were told when registering the birth in Pretoria that she couldn't be British as the laws had changed some time in the 80's.

It would be amazing if we could just apply for a British passport for her!
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 9:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

How do we prove she is a British citizen? Currently she holds a SA passport and we apply for visas every time she come to the UK. We were told when registering the birth in Pretoria that she couldn't be British as the laws had changed some time in the 80's.

It would be amazing if we could just apply for a British passport for her!
You haven't answered the critical question. Was the child's father born in the UK?
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 9:44 am
Just Joined

I'm sorry. I thought I said originally that he is British. Should have been clearer...born in UK, whole family born in UK.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 9:46 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry. I thought I said originally that he is British. Should have been clearer...born in UK, whole family born in UK.
Then his daughter is already a UK citizen by descent. Apply for her British passport. Job's a good'un.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Really?! How exciting. So I presume we need her full birth cert, thier marriage cert and partners birth cert?

How strange that they were told the law has changed and because K was born in 2010, she couldn't have an English passport.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 9:57 am
Concierge

Really?! How exciting. So I presume we need her full birth cert, thier marriage cert and partners birth cert?

How strange that they were told the law has changed and because K was born in 2010, she couldn't have an English passport.
Whoever told you that is an idiot,
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much everyone. This is very exciting and makes life a whole lot easier!
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 10:26 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Bonusmum, they are not issuing English passports yet. Maybe one day ! The passport will say "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".