Reload this Page >

Good locations for online workers

Good locations for online workers

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

systemshock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good locations for online workers

Hi everyone
I've been slowly building up a few online businesses over the last few years and I'm at the point where I no longer need to be in the UK. My online work is bringing in enough to support me in most countries and I'm now looking into the possibility of relocating somewhere with better weather and cheaper living. I'm wondering what locations people think are good for someone who's income is fixed, but who needs reliable internet access. Priorities are.

1) Internet access
2) Cheap, not essential but a big bonus
3) good nightlife, I'm in my late 20's so still like clubbing occasionally and partying, somewhere with an expat community would be best
4) beaches, warm weather, pretty girls, all the usual stuff I'd imagin people want
5) Hassle Free, somewhere I can live legally rather than having to make visa runs every month would be great
6) disease free! not essential but I've had dengue fever and Malaria and I'd rather be somewhere these weren't endmic, although that's not essential

Looking forward to any suggestions, also wondering if anyone else in my line of work has done something similar, where you went and how it worked out
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 7:18 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good locations for online workers

Originally Posted by systemshock
Hi everyone
I've been slowly building up a few online businesses over the last few years and I'm at the point where I no longer need to be in the UK. My online work is bringing in enough to support me in most countries and I'm now looking into the possibility of relocating somewhere with better weather and cheaper living. I'm wondering what locations people think are good for someone who's income is fixed, but who needs reliable internet access. Priorities are.

1) Internet access
3) good nightlife, I'm in my late 20's so still like clubbing occasionally and partying, somewhere with an expat community would be best
4) beaches, warm weather, pretty girls, all the usual stuff I'd imagin people want
5) Hassle Free, somewhere I can live legally rather than having to make visa runs every month would be great
6) disease free! not essential but I've had dengue fever and Malaria and I'd rather be somewhere these weren't endmic, although that's not essential

Looking forward to any suggestions, also wondering if anyone else in my line of work has done something similar, where you went and how it worked out
That's a tall order!! Why not go somewhere on the Mediterranean? Meets most of the requirements.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 11:10 am
Just Joined

systemshock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
That's a tall order!! Why not go somewhere on the Mediterranean? Meets most of the requirements.
Yep it's a pretty tall order, but then it's only a wishlist, I'm looking for ideas more than anything else, I don't expect to get somewhere with everything. The Med is a good idea, I have been toying with the idea of cyprus
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep it's a pretty tall order, but then it's only a wishlist, I'm looking for ideas more than anything else, I don't expect to get somewhere with everything. The Med is a good idea, I have been toying with the idea of cyprus
Try taxcafe for their book on taxhavens, you may as well, tie in moving with improving your tax situation - the tax haven book has a lovely list of destinations with pros & cons.....
Old Jan 26th 2007, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Vigile is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

1) Internet access

Where did you finally settle on systemshock? Your situation is very similar to my own. Right now I'm leaning toward Goa. I too had malaria while in Costa Rica, but think I can mitigate the risk with spray and mosquito netting at night.

Another posibility is Panama. The only problem is I work with the US stock market. Since I write reports after the market closes, I'd be doing all my work in the evening if I were to go to Panama. Goa would allow me to work in the a.m.

Should mention that Goa has tons of Russian tourists; ala your pretty girl requirement.

Last edited by Vigile; Jan 26th 2007 at 11:19 am.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:42 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Bermuda!!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

CroyDon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vigile
Where did you finally settle on systemshock? Your situation is very similar to my own. Right now I'm leaning toward Goa. I too had malaria while in Costa Rica, but think I can mitigate the risk with spray and mosquito netting at night.

Another posibility is Panama. The only problem is I work with the US stock market. Since I write reports after the market closes, I'd be doing all my work in the evening if I were to go to Panama. Goa would allow me to work in the a.m.

Should mention that Goa has tons of Russian tourists; ala your pretty girl requirement.
India is definitely where you should be looking at, if you think long term. Once you expand your online business, you might need a lot of IT workers for the BPO jobs. You could base yourself in Gurgaon, south west of Delhi in the National Capital Region. The cost of living in India is much less than continental Europe. Apartments in Gurgaon are some of the best in the country. Broadband access is world class. Give it a thought.
Delhi has the entire diplomatic corps, and loads of visiting tourists.
Night life is good too.