Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

French...New Caledonia

French...New Caledonia

Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:15 am
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice
Default French...New Caledonia

Any one living, worked or going to work in New Caledonia??

OH looking at a job offer but cannot source any real estate in Nourmea that have english link & cannot speak french...help ....any links gratefully received
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:34 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: French...New Caledonia

Originally Posted by Hoola
Any one living, worked or going to work in New Caledonia??

OH looking at a job offer but cannot source any real estate in Nourmea that have english link & cannot speak french...help ....any links gratefully received
Good Luck New Caledonia is just about to take a vote on independence, You will have to tell us about your self to tell you if it's possible to live there. As residency in NC is only available to French Residents of France IE French Passport Holders.

Poverty Ratios are very high, And there is a fair bit of violence towards Western/European background It's Nice. Hospital treatment is delt with in Aus or Mainland France for major work, As I have a friend who has to keep flying back from there to deal with Cancer. The advantage to him is the Government pick up the tab for the whole family unit to fly back to France, The disadvantage is he Has cancer and it's disrupting life some what.

Im going to dig out a couple of links....

And Quoted

"It is important to note that EU regulations regarding employment and right of abode do not apply to New Caledonia and British nationals have no right to work or to extend their stay beyond the initial three months without special authorisation from the local authorities."

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jan 16th 2009 at 8:49 am.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who comes from New Caledonia, and has just returned from there. Lives in the UK so I can send an email asking question of you like, dont know how long it will be for a reply
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:36 am
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I have a friend who comes from New Caledonia, and has just returned from there. Lives in the UK so I can send an email asking question of you like, dont know how long it will be for a reply
Thank you that would be good,
OH would have a visa organised through his employer

I've been trying to find info on schools & real estates in Noumea but no rentals come up so am thinking it may not be very popular, hence the difficulties they have filling the position, we are currently in Sydney, and a year in NC appeals to me if it is workable
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:57 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoola
Thank you that would be good,
OH would have a visa organised through his employer

I've been trying to find info on schools & real estates in Noumea but no rentals come up so am thinking it may not be very popular, hence the difficulties they have filling the position, we are currently in Sydney, and a year in NC appeals to me if it is workable
OK I'll ask if she has any knowledge of rentals/sales and schools in Noumea and come back when I have a reply