British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Rest of the World (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/)
-   -   Finding My Spot on the Globe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/finding-my-spot-globe-847512/)

NoNameIsNeeded Nov 21st 2014 4:27 am

Finding My Spot on the Globe

Hello all,
I would like to live abroad, but I haven't yet decided on my destination. I need your help.
I want to leave because I hate my country of origin, its people and I do not see myself living there.
I have decided to leave when I was around 11 years old.
I have a dual citizenship: French and the one of my country of origin.
I speak three languages-English, French and my mother language.
I am planning to leave with a minimum of 2000 Euros, so at first I will probably rent a very small apartment, get a job(minimum wage), and move on from there(the math works), my parents may add additional money.
The French citizenship opens most of Europe (I also have a family in France) but taxation is high. In the Americas, Canada is an option (I have family there but without education it is hard to move there), besides that the Americas are of no interest to me. Africa is mainly poor but I am open to suggestions from your side. Asia and Oceania are also not of much interest but again I am open to suggestions. I have no problem learning a fourth language but it is important that I would be able to get along in the first few months with English or French. I do not have future aspiration right now but I want a simple life, not necessarily an urban industrialized country. Good people good view and good books should do it for me.
Even though I am still young I am leaning towards "working to live attitude"-small jobs, no stress, flexibility, being able to enjoy life and travel so higher education is still in question mark for me (not the highest priority). I am an atheist if it is of any importance, if the country is not imposing religion on the people that it is ok for me.
So what do you think?

kimilseung Nov 21st 2014 5:37 am

Re: Finding My Spot on the Globe

Originally Posted by NoNameIsNeeded (Post 11479562)
Europe....but taxation is high.
Canada ....but without education it is hard to move
the Americas are of no interest to me.
Africa is mainly poor
Asia and Oceania are also not of much interest

Antarctica it is then.
Glad I could be of assistance.

mikelincs Nov 21st 2014 8:22 am

Hello all,
I would like to live abroad, but I haven't yet decided on my destination. I need your help.
I want to leave because I hate my country of origin, its people and I do not see myself living there.
I am planning to leave with a minimum of 2000 Euros, so at first I will probably rent a very small apartment, get a job(minimum wage), and move on from there(the math works), my parents may add additional money.
The French citizenship opens most of Europe (I also have a family in France) but taxation is high. In the Americas, Canada is an option (I have family there but without education it is hard to move there), besides that the Americas are of no interest to me. Africa is mainly poor but I am open to suggestions from your side. Asia and Oceania are also not of much interest but again I am open to suggestions. I have no problem learning a fourth language but it is important that I would be able to get along in the first few months with English or French. I do not have future aspiration right now but I want a simple life, not necessarily an urban industrialized country. Good people good view and good books should do it for me.
Even though I am still young I am leaning towards "working to live attitude"-small jobs, no stress, flexibility, being able to enjoy life and travel so higher education is still in question mark for me (not the highest priority). I am an atheist if it is of any importance, if the country is not imposing religion on the people that it is ok for me.
So what do you think?

Just for people to really be able to help, what is your country of origin, and this also begs the question why are you afraid to tell us?

NoNameIsNeeded Nov 21st 2014 9:02 am

Hello, thanks a lot for both of your answers.
kimilseung I liked your answer :)
mikelincs my country of origin is Israel.

Moses2013 Nov 26th 2014 2:25 pm

Hello all,
So what do you think?

The obvious choices would be to go to a place where you can use the languages. Europe will probably be the best option for you due to visa requirements etc. Taxation is high everywhere these days and if it's not the tax, it will be rent or something else. What I can say, is that there are plenty of jobs in Ireland for French speakers, so might be a good option to get out, get some experience and save a bit of money.

Bermudashorts Nov 26th 2014 10:13 pm

You can start by narrowing it down to where you would be able to move to. We cannot just pick a spot we fancy, most unfortunately. At least Europe is available to you, so perhaps you should start there. Pursuing a career can widen options, but if you don't want to do that, then you probably will just have Europe, Israel and anywhere your Israeli passport can take you.