British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Rest of the World (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/)
-   -   FATCA - The end of everything (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/fatca-end-everything-812212/)

Josht Oct 15th 2013 12:59 pm

FATCA - The end of everything

It seems American authorities decided everything and FATCA will get all US citizens under or even everyone. I'm American but the last five years I live in Europe and I have my own business here. I have to mention that I underpaid US taxes because it's very hard to pay here and there. But with FATCA it will be impossible to avoid paying taxes for gluttonous American economy. I would like to renounce American citizenship but it's not easy because in previous times you can simply throw away your passport and now Washington won't let you go because it needs our money. Big shots from the White House want to rob American expats so they can get $100 billions which we, as they say, concealed. The only person who can renounce US citizenship is that one who is absolutely clean and American government has no interest in that person. The rest businessmen just like me have no chances because we earn much money outside US and American authorities targeted to turn us into cash cows. Even more, American authorities want us to pay every cent they didn't get from us for all these years. Maybe before FACTA being an American citizen was an honorary right but now this is a burden and everyone now can become victim of US illusory legislative system.

hoffage123 Oct 15th 2013 1:15 pm

Re: FATCA - The end of everything

Originally Posted by Josht (Post 10945102)
It seems American authorities decided everything and FATCA will get all US citizens under or even everyone. I'm American but the last five years I live in Europe and I have my own business here. I have to mention that I underpaid US taxes because it's very hard to pay here and there. But with FATCA it will be impossible to avoid paying taxes for gluttonous American economy. I would like to renounce American citizenship but it's not easy because in previous times you can simply throw away your passport and now Washington won't let you go because it needs our money. Big shots from the White House want to rob American expats so they can get $100 billions which we, as they say, concealed. The only person who can renounce US citizenship is that one who is absolutely clean and American government has no interest in that person. The rest businessmen just like me have no chances because we earn much money outside US and American authorities targeted to turn us into cash cows. Even more, American authorities want us to pay every cent they didn't get from us for all these years. Maybe before FACTA being an American citizen was an honorary right but now this is a burden and everyone now can become victim of US illusory legislative system.

Seriously? You admit that you have avoided paying US taxes because "it is too hard" and you want the rest of us who do meet our filing requirements to have sympathy for you, who earns "lots of money"?

Here is some advice - get your financial house in order, then renounce - then you can complain about it. The system does draw from too wide a net, but that doesn't mean you abdicate your responsibilities. See someone experienced for tax advice if it is too complicated for you to do yourself.

Steve_ Mar 17th 2014 7:14 pm

Doesn't sound to me as though you've ever attempted to comply with US reporting obligations because it's not that difficult really. Most people have no tax to pay or only a small sum.

dunroving Mar 21st 2014 2:28 pm

Must be some sort of wind-up, surely?

Mitzyboy Mar 22nd 2014 12:59 am

Err, the thread is 5 months old from a one off poster :);)