Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

British Passports for Children

British Passports for Children

Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

dlp1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Passports for Children

I am needing to clarify some points on obtaining British passports for children born overseas. Can anybody help me clarify these questions please:

1) I lived in the UK for 10yrs and left 5yrs ago for Peru ; I obtained my British passport through Ancestral visa.

2) If my children are born in Peru will they have rights to apply for British passport? I am conflicted because it seems if you obtained Br.Passport through ancestral rights your children are not automatically entitled to Br.nationality if born abroad?

3) If the above is correct, am I correct in thinking its best for me to come back to the UK to give birth to ensure my childrens Br.nationality?

Right of British nationality is extremely important to me as it will enable my children many more opportunities in their lives, so I prefer to give birth in the UK if it means this is the only way to ensure their passports, but want to be sure as its a big decision to make the move back!

Please can anybody guide me with this... :-)

Thank you so much!
D
Old Jun 21st 2012, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Nabbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Passports for Children

Originally Posted by dlp1973
I am needing to clarify some points on obtaining British passports for children born overseas. Can anybody help me clarify these questions please:

1) I lived in the UK for 10yrs and left 5yrs ago for Peru ; I obtained my British passport through Ancestral visa.

2) If my children are born in Peru will they have rights to apply for British passport? I am conflicted because it seems if you obtained Br.Passport through ancestral rights your children are not automatically entitled to Br.nationality if born abroad?

3) If the above is correct, am I correct in thinking its best for me to come back to the UK to give birth to ensure my childrens Br.nationality?

Right of British nationality is extremely important to me as it will enable my children many more opportunities in their lives, so I prefer to give birth in the UK if it means this is the only way to ensure their passports, but want to be sure as its a big decision to make the move back!

Thank you so much!
D
Hi, I am no expert on this issue but I at least drop the hint that may be any help.

Try http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/he...child-passport

Good luck
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much!
D
If you naturalised as a British citizen, this means you are British otherwise than by descent. This allows your children to be born overseas and be British by descent. It doesn't matter that you may have done this through an ancestry visa. Your naturalisation certificate will state under which section of the British Nationality Act you were naturalised if you wish to check this with the UK Border Agency website:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/

It's expensive, but I would recommend registering your children's births with the British Embassy in Lima and getting them consular birth certificates. This means you will have a document proving their right to British citizenship and a permanent record will be held in the UK if you ever need to prove this in the future.

http://ukinperu.fco.gov.uk/en/help-f...er-birth-death
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi BritInParis,

Thank you for your reply.

What confuses me on the UK IN PERU website under the link you provided is that is says "Children born in Peru to British-born parents may register the birth at the British Embassy Consular Section."

I am not British born - which is why I question this. If it said "British citizens" I wouldnt be concerned, but it specifies "British born".....

I obtained an email from the website and am going to try and write to them and see if I can have 100% confirmation or try call. I am just worried that I stay here to give birth and then get told afterwards its not possible to register because I am not British-born if you see what I mean... will post what I hear back :-)
Old Jun 25th 2012, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Hello again,

I got a response from the Consulate in Lima and I CANNOT register my children as British here because I was not born in the UK.

That answers my question - looks like I need to return to UK :-)

Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again,

I got a response from the Consulate in Lima and I CANNOT register my children as British here because I was not born in the UK.

That answers my question - looks like I need to return to UK :-)

Thanks everyone!
Hmm, I don't think that's right - where you naturalised or registered as a British citizen? If you were naturalised, they should still be British if born overseas. Check your certificate - what section are you?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:14 am
Just Joined

OK - I checked my Naturalisation certificate and it recognises me as BRITISH CITIZEN.

So the answer is I was naturalised as a British citizen.

I wrote exactly that to the Consulate in Lima and that was their answer, that unless I am born British, I am not entitled to register my children as British. From what I have read on the various websites I am classified as British otherwise than by decent.

I will continue reading up - it does get confusing though - ultimately what I do know is that if I return to UK to give birth, 100% children are entitled to British natioanality. Its a long way to go back and not easy, but if it needs to be done, I will make the sacrifice - Just want to give my children the same opportunities I have been blessed to have in my life...
Old Jun 26th 2012, 3:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote exactly that to the Consulate in Lima and that was their answer, that unless I am born British, I am not entitled to register my children as British.
Has it occurred to you that the consulate employee who answered you might be wrong?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Yes - I am going to follow up ...
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

biancacooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

i have a question relating to the abovd discussion. my ex/late husband was british but we had our kids in south africa. i have made enquiries and they can get their british passports but do i stand any chance to getting one because what is the point of them having one and not me? they are ages 7 & 10 so wouldnt travel overseas without me anyway.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 12:48 am

If they are British citizens by descent through their father, then they are entitled to British passports regardless of your nationality.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Bianca - the children are entitled but I fear you are not,
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:55 am
Just Joined

biancacooper is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the reply. o ifmwe wanted to go over to the uk to live with my late husbands family what would i need to do because obviously i wont let kids go without m