Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

British national, Argentinian fiancee, where could we live?

British national, Argentinian fiancee, where could we live?

Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Girl4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile British national, Argentinian fiancee, where could we live?

Hi there...this is my first post even though I have been reading the forum for a while so just to say hi first!

I am a UK national and my fiancee is Argentinian, we are getting married in Argentina later in the year but neither want to live in the UK nor Argentina.

I am currently self employed in accounting and admin work but am so completely fed up with the high cost of living in the UK not to mention the (mostly) year round dreary weather

My fiancee is also self employed but the 'wages' in Argentina are so low that we don't think we would even be able to afford to live there and afford to pay for flights to visit the UK to see family etc (average monthly wage there equates to about £300- £400 here)

We would love to live in a country where we could earn a decent living, it is fairly easy for us BOTH to get into and also somewhere with decent weather would be a plus

Neither of us has any sort of criminal record but neither do we have professional qualifications

I would be really grateful for an sort of help or advice regarding this matter

TIA
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British national, Argentinian fiancee, where could we live?

I'm married to an Argentinian and we live in Canada, if I was you I would think about Spain, maybe? Not the touristy part, but a city, we went to Madrid end of 2006 and for both of us that is somewhere we could live.

I know what you mean about the salaries there, it just doesn't make it viable for travelling at all. We are going to Mendoza end of April and will have a great trip as everything will be so cheap but living there is a different story.

I sometimes think about moving there but it is very off-putting especially when the economy isn't stable. I think if there wasn't all of these money issues we could be there now.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Girl4
Hi there...this is my first post even though I have been reading the forum for a while so just to say hi first!

I am a UK national and my fiancee is Argentinian, we are getting married in Argentina later in the year but neither want to live in the UK nor Argentina.

I am currently self employed in accounting and admin work but am so completely fed up with the high cost of living in the UK not to mention the (mostly) year round dreary weather

My fiancee is also self employed but the 'wages' in Argentina are so low that we don't think we would even be able to afford to live there and afford to pay for flights to visit the UK to see family etc (average monthly wage there equates to about £300- £400 here)

We would love to live in a country where we could earn a decent living, it is fairly easy for us BOTH to get into and also somewhere with decent weather would be a plus

Neither of us has any sort of criminal record but neither do we have professional qualifications

I would be really grateful for an sort of help or advice regarding this matter

TIA
Try Mexico, there are large American and Canadian expat communities in places such as Merida, Lake Chapala and many other towns and cities. Great lifestyle, food, and weather.

Also, look at Panama. There are also large American and Canadian expat communities there.

Try this site hosted in Panama:

www.escapeartist.com

Last edited by johnh009; Feb 27th 2008 at 3:17 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

I now live in the southern costa del sol in spain. Far from the tourists and 15 minutes drive from Gibraltar (little britain, obviously) which has a thriving economy. Weather's nice too